new

what is the most simple setting on my qd11 to find coins and rings. i'm new to this and have read the manual numerous times,however i'm confused i get all kinds of signals and the arrors bounce around everywhere, never know whether to dig or not. would like some input from people with experience.

thanks

kenny

I have an old BH Pioneer 101 which is similar to the quick draw except that it doesn't have the digital display. I run with both knobs turned about 3/4 of the dial. This has proven fairly effective. If you are constantly beeping, try turning your sensitivity down some. If you run at 3/4 on the disc., then I have found that you won't hit nickels. I have done very well hitting pennies, dimes, and quarters. I have even dug a silver dime and quarter. I have several CW relics in my collection also. One thing that I have learned using my BH is that if I hit on something that seems to beep about 6" long, it's usually an aluminum can. The settings above will overlook pull tabs, but not a big piece of aluminum such as a can. Recently, I have gotten in the "dig all" mode. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

Happy Hunting!

B

boobieinPa

Welcome to the site.
You probably have seen this before but practice and more practice will be the best thing you can do at this stage of your learning curve.
In the beginning it sure doesn't hurt to dig everything that gives you a repeat signal.

Practise Correctly

Don't always use high discriminate, experiment in the lower settings! And don't always rely on the target I.D. meter which can be wrong! First, lower your sensitivity to about 75% or less! Set the discrimination to accept nickels and then dig all targets! In fact, cover up the display meter and do not rely on it! Go for coin and ring type signals, these will be round and small signals that will not be larger than your search coil. Large and wide signals can be skipped unless you are looking for a Cache!......A lot of rings will fall into the nickel, pulltab, and screwcap areas!!!.........HH...............Joe

I have an old BH Pioneer 101 which is similar to the quick draw except that it doesn't have the digital display. I run with both knobs turned about 3/4 of the dial. This has proven fairly effective. If you are constantly beeping, try turning your sensitivity down some. If you run at 3/4 on the disc., then I have found that you won't hit nickels. I have done very well hitting pennies, dimes, and quarters. I have even dug a silver dime and quarter. I have several CW relics in my collection also. One thing that I have learned using my BH is that if I hit on something that seems to beep about 6" long, it's usually an aluminum can. The settings above will overlook pull tabs, but not a big piece of aluminum such as a can. Recently, I have gotten in the "dig all" mode. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

Happy Hunting!
thanks for input will give a try this sat i hope

Went out last night to a school yard. I knew that it would not be too trashy, so I decided to play around with my settings. I turned the disc. knob way down to see what I would pick up. My sensitivity was still about 5/8 - 3/4. I found a cool football award. It was only a small beep....almost didn't dig it. Found it about 6-8 inches deep. Like everybody says,,,,the way to figure it out is to get out and practice, practice, practice. I plan on going back out to the school yard and continue to explore different settings. HH

pris

Hey Enay51,

What part of KY are you from? I'm originally from Paducah, KY and will be going home next month for my Nephew's HS graduation. I'm really excited to take my MD to hunt around Ballard County. There seems to be some good sites to hunt (Duh!).

Anyway, welcome to TQ! You'll love it here. :grin:

creekrat

good luck in ky

pris hope you find some nice items ,dont founder on the barbecue,ahhh the bluegrass, home of fast women and beautiful horses...:smile: creek

ky

Hey Enay51,

What part of KY are you from? I'm originally from Paducah, KY and will be going home next month for my Nephew's HS graduation. I'm really excited to take my MD to hunt around Ballard County. There seems to be some good sites to hunt (Duh!).

Anyway, welcome to TQ! You'll love it here. :grin:
oringinally from glasgow ky. now live in florence ky in boone county.good hunting