newbie to TQ

Bill Terry

About 15 minutes New. Hello everyone.
I own a Whites 5000D for about 35 years, most of which it has sat idol. For Christmas our grandchildren , 4 out of 5, were given metal detectors by my wife and I and to my surprise they had one for me.
It's a QDII and I can't wait for spring to take them all on their first hunt.
I hope to hear from and make new friends in the MD world.

against the wind

TQ will prove to be an asset to your metal detecting journey. There are quite a few knowledgeable treasure hunters here. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Doesn't matter who long we have been in the hobby,, there is always something new to learn. Have fun with the grandchildren and again,, Welcome to TQ.:cool:

Bill Terry

TQ will prove to be an asset to your metal detecting journey. There are quite a few knowledgeable treasure hunters here. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Doesn't matter who long we have been in the hobby,, there is always something new to learn. Have fun with the grandchildren and again,, Welcome to TQ.:cool:
Thanks. I've seen you and others comment on " large coppers". What is that?

against the wind

It is a large cent,, minted in both the U.S. and England. The oldest that I have found is an 1820 on a farm in in upstate New York. You are in a good location to find Colonial and post -colonial coins. Pick up the Red Book of U.S. Coins. It is a tremendous asset in identifying coins and getting the approximate values. I have also found a 1786 or 1788 post colonial copper that is still soaking in oil to clean it. (Not 100% sure of date)

against the wind

It is a large cent,, minted in both the U.S. and England. The oldest that I have found is an 1820 on a farm in in upstate New York. You are in a good location to find Colonial and post -colonial coins. Pick up the Red Book of U.S. Coins. It is a tremendous asset in identifying coins and getting the approximate values. I have also found a 1786 or 1788 post colonial copper that is still soaking in oil to clean it. (Not 100% sure of date):cool:
(U.S. Large Cents were minted in Philadelphia from 1793 to 1857.)

Last edited:

Bill Terry

It is a large cent,, minted in both the U.S. and England. The oldest that I have found is an 1820 on a farm in in upstate New York. You are in a good location to find Colonial and post -colonial coins. Pick up the Red Book of U.S. Coins. It is a tremendous asset in identifying coins and getting the approximate values. I have also found a 1786 or 1788 post colonial copper that is still soaking in oil to clean it. (Not 100% sure of date)
Thanks. I ask because in my many years ago hunting I did find an 1897 big Canadian Penny and wondering
If this is what it would be called.

Bill Terry

My oldest a n d coolest find,( tentatively dated by Acccient Resurces .com), is a rough cut Bronze
Planchard dated around 140-160A.D. value..... SCRAP METAL. Very worn and pitted