Nugget Coil?

M

mlamp20412

Any BH users ot there got the 4" nugget coil?

What type of results did you experience?

I am considering one due to my soil and future hunting of trashy sites.

Thanks

Two of my Three detectors are BH's, and I do have the 4" coil for them. If you are in a trashy area, then the 4" is a must. I ran a test with it this past summer at my parents house. I went over an area with both the BH's using the stock 8" coil, then went over the same area with my Fisher CZ-3D, using the stock 8" coil and 10.5" coil. This house was an old farm house built in the early 1900's (1902?). Anyway, there is a ton of trash in this yard, specifically a lot of iron (ie old horse shoes, nails, brackets). None of the junk is on the surface, mostly about 4" - 6" down. Using the above listed detectors and coils, I could not lock onto any good repeatable signals, just too much iron. So I put on the 4" BH coil and went over the same area (10' x 10'), and found two keys and a wheatleaf (1917 if I remember correctly). When I locked onto a target with the 4" coil, I went back over it with the other detectors/coil combos and I had a signal, but it was not a consitant signal as I was getting so much iron.

Needless to say, it proved the 4" coil and the necessity to have one. So this year, I will have to buy the small coil for my Fisher as well. In fact, after my dad saw how much of a difference the 4" made, he had me order one for him as well. One thing to note though, the 4" will not go as deep as say an 8", but the target seperation is so much better. Good luck hunting.

Eric

M

mlamp20412

Thanks ECACE.

My yard has a ton of nails in it, so it sounds like the 4" would be a big help.

What model BHs do you have? I have a SS II, I just got back from 1st Texas and a 2nd hand, 5yr old RS Land Star equivalent. The RS is having a real time tuning out the iron, maybe the 4" coil will make it more viable.

The 4" will really help seeing good targets that may be surrounded by junk. As for my detectors, I have a RS Discovery 3300 (one of those $112 closeout specials), a Titain 2000 (same as a RS Discovery 2000), and a Fisher CZ-3D. As I'm sure you know, the RS Discovery and Titain brands are just remarked 1st Texas (BH) Detectors. And as for coils, I sent the 2000 in to BH with an 8" and 4" coil and requested they tune the unit to the two coils. Then I used a black marker to mark those coils with 2000 (Meaning the unit was tuned for those coils). I put the 4" though on either the 2000 or 3300. I usually use the stock 8" on the Fisher, but if I am in a clean area that has deep potential, or beach hunting, I use the 10.5". I really want to get the 5" for my Fisher as it is my primary machine and after seeing how well the 4" worked on my BH's, I am sure it would be really good on the Fisher. Now the question is, how soon can we get rid of the snow so I can go out and start getting clad to pay for a new coil? :banghead:

Best of luck,

Eric

M

mlamp20412

ECACE,

Thanks for the insight.

Is it manditory to have the detector tuned to the 4" coil? Most of the stuff I read just said whether it was compatable or not. I am getting a new unit from BH tomorrow as my SSII was serviced and came back still broken. I am not looking forward to another long waiting period:eek: It is a long mail trip from VA to TX.......

C

Chuck@TreasureHut

Don't Forget.....

.....the Tesor machines have an awesome little 5.75" coil available for picking the "keepers out of the junk" as well. When you couple that coil with the "lightning fast" recovery speed of the Tesoro....you have one heck of a deep seeking, and trash separating combination, that just happens to be warranteed for LIFE!

Vaquero%20Angled_Web.jpg Vaquero

9x8coilgray.jpg Standard Coil

concentric 5.75 coil.jpg 5.75" Trash Eliminator

ECACE,

Thanks for the insight.

Is it manditory to have the detector tuned to the 4" coil? Most of the stuff I read just said whether it was compatable or not. I am getting a new unit from BH tomorrow as my SSII was serviced and came back still broken. I am not looking forward to another long waiting period:eek: It is a long mail trip from VA to TX.......

Mlamp,

I was told for 'optimum' operation of the coil, it is recommended to have the detector tuned to the coil. How much of a difference it makes, I have no idea. I was sending my Titain 2000 in for a seperate issue and asked on the phone if it could be done at the same time. BH said it would be no problem, so I sent the 4" coil, 8" coil, and detecor. BH reported the detector was repaired and tuned to the two coils at no extra charge.

So how much of a difference it really made... not sure. If there is something though that can help go a little deeper or more accurate for any of my detectors, I will probably try it out. Prior to sending the 4" coil in, I had used it back and forth on the two BH detectors I have and didn't seem to have any ill effect(AKA - one seeing deeper than the other, or one more stable than the other).

Granted, some may not consider the BH line to be high end, but you use what you have got. I have used BH's and found a lot of stuff. One really good thing, if you have ever delt with BH for sending a detector in for repair, they have excellent customer support and their return time is great.

Best of luck and Happy Hunting.

Eric