OLD FRIENDS

Discussion in 'What TQ Means to me.' started by quaidmon, Dec 21, 2017.

1. quaidmon

quaidmon Well-Known Member

carpenter
    As this year is winding down I started thinking about the people I know. It might sound strange but I've known most of my friends for 35 years or longer. Just realized I've known some of their kids for 20+ years.
    My two best friends I've known since 1970 we still talk daily and get together all the time. My father(89 years old) goes for coffee in the morning and talks to some of my old friends, so he fills me in on what's happening in their lives.
    The town keeps getting bigger but still keeps that small town feel.

2. against the wind

against the wind Well-Known Member

"Lost Treasure Detective"
    Yep, I too have a few long term friendships. Good people who have managed to stay out of trouble and do the right thing. Just got off the phone with a friend of 20 plus years that is buying a fifth wheel and looking to take his wife across country come Spring.

draaiorgel and KRose like this.
  3. DigsNW

DigsNW Well-Known Member

Retired!
    I have spent the last year looking up old friends from even 40 and 50 years ago and all the ones I have had lunch with seems like not much time went by except we are looking old now. I like the small town and the one I am in is too large for me. Only 180 thousand or so but way to large for me. I grew up in a town of 35 thousand and I like it. Mayberry would suit me better. I love just to sit and talk with older folks and listen to their tales and listen to how things were in the good ole days. Keep, keeping the small towns small and keep in touch with your friends Qman.

4. quaidmon

carpenter
    I just found picture from a friends 50th birthday party in July. Kind of a strange bunch to be together, we had a lawyer, a plumber .a roofer, a cpa, a mover, a bouncer, a painter, college professor, a carpenter, a wall street broker. We get together at least 2 times a year. Alaska, New York , Arizona, Florida and more we all get together.
    I don't know if I could live in a town of 180 thousand people, my town had about 8000 when I was growing up and now has about 35000. It's getting way to crowded.

draaiorgel, KRose and DigsNW like this.
  5. DigsNW

DigsNW Well-Known Member

Retired!
    Look at ATW, he seems.....sort of normal and comes from a town of over 8 million. :D I have been there a few times and it isn't for me.

6. KRose

KRose Well-Known Member

Retired Firefighter
    Dave, take just a second and think about what you just said.........the "Windman" is normal? ........for real? Lol What a year it has been for him. Like the late John Denver sang, "Thank God he's a Country Boy", now. (y)(y)

draaiorgel and DigsNW like this.
  7. against the wind

Yep,, over 8 million people and growing.
    There is a population of less than 3 thousand in Port Allegheny. I'm liking it.

8. quaidmon

carpenter
    8 million people where do they all park? They just built a high rise on Main St. 3 stories high and I think it even has an elevator! The first one downtown. I guess you can't stop progress.

draaiorgel, KRose and DigsNW like this.
  9. DigsNW

DigsNW Well-Known Member

Retired!
    You will have time to clear your head now. I bet all the cars in Port Allegheny aren't yellow either and they aren't on the horns non stop. Maybe some of those one horse power carts with the orange triangles on the back but they belong there in Port Allegheny not the big apple.

10. against the wind

It's crazy,, street parking has caused numerous fights over parking spots.
    They had a billionaire mayor who loved the way London handled their traffic problems. He removed thousands of parking spots and installed bike lanes.
    He also awarded a bicycle rental franchise to a vendor that took away another 6 parking spots per bicycle stand. If you can afford to rent an indoor parking spot in Manhattan, south of 96th St., it will cost you between $450 to $650 a month. Don't park illegally in Manhattan or it will cost you $65.
    If you're dumb enough to park in a No Standing Zone or a Bus Stop, it was cost you $180., providing you get back to your car before they tow your car to the pound.
    It's crazy!!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  11. Rob1960

Rob1960 Well-Known Member

guess I'm just different. Haven't spoken but to two guys I went to high school with in almost forty years. And that's just because they were at dad's visitation a few years back.

12. DigsNW

DigsNW Well-Known Member

Retired!
    The good thing in NYC is that if you actually live in town or close public transportation is cheap and you can get anywhere if you don't mind a little walking. That isn't as much of an option in a town my size. I just about have to drive to get where I want to go.

13. quaidmon

carpenter
    Looked at my high school yearbook, My graduating class was less than 4oo people, it was a regional high school so that was 3 towns. It's only 15 miles from NYC but a world away. I see people from school almost every time I stop in a store, and my father sees my old friends and keeps me updated. Of course my father went to school with most of my friends parents so it all comes together in a big loop.

14. homefire

homefire Well-Known Member

Growing up as a Military Brat I didn't have a pile of what I would call friends. All that I had kept up with have been taken by Father Time or other Means. I have some old long time friends from my military days I keep in touch with in various countries. Some of those are history now as well. Here locally I don't really have any friends left. Just Family. That works for me. I have quite a number of Long Distant Friends. They make life interesting.

15. DigsNW

DigsNW Well-Known Member

Retired!
    Before I moved out of the town I graduated High School and college in I rarely ever saw anyone uptown I knew. Living here in this larger town and not having many friends I never see anyone uptown I know. I really could live in a small town and be happy. But out in the desert HF? Not for me.

16. homefire

homefire Well-Known Member

LOL, The only BS you have to deal with is your own. And the County. And the Border Patrol. And the Sharif. And the Undocumented. And the Coyotes.