Opinions please

Old1948guy

Well I’ve had an Ace 300 for almost 3 years, the first 1&1/2 to 2 years I did the cellar hole and stone wall thing lots of rusty items for sure! This year after the schools let out I’ve been doing tot lots and playgrounds having success with modern coins and getting a ton of experience with coin id’ing and locating instead of a ton or rusty objects :cool: So here’s my question, l have a chance to pick up an AT Pro used for about half of new price I expect when the schools re- open to get back into the woods it seems most of the serious relic hunters use AT series machines but in the heavily hunted areas I’ve been searching ( note I’m 71 years old not going miles away from roads ) would a pro actually make that much difference? I have little trouble finding all the nails and horseshoes I can carry now. :ROFLMAO: Thanks in advance for some advice Paul

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
Hi.....
I'm 73 years old and swing the AT Pro AND the Ace 400 as a backup machine. Regarding schoolyards and other public places like sports fields the Ace detectors will do the job for you. I've dug good stuff with the ace at 7-8 inches so I'm confident the depth is there. I've also dug some silver with the AT Pro at depths of 8-9 inches so I'm confident that the Pro is also getting good depth. How much better is the Pro? Who knows? The AT Pro has a double D coil which is larger than the coil on your 300 so maybe you'd get some additional depth and it has iron audio. I've heard that some of the early AT Pros had some problems when the detector was first released but they've been corrected in the newer version that have camlocks. You may want to check the one you are thinking of getting. The Pro is slightly heavier than the Ace is but not really enough to make a difference. The Pro is waterproof so you can hunt in the rain with it. I recently purchased a Garrett wireless setup for the two detectors I have and I like not having the stinking headphone coils in my way.

Last edited:

draaiorgel

Hi Paul, and welcome to the forum.
My wife Eileen and I are both in our mid 70s.
We started with a Garrett Ace 250 each and stuck with them for 5 years.
Then fancied a change and moved to a Fisher F70 for around 6-7 years.
Finally changed to Makro Racer's and haven't regretted any changes we've done.
I have to say we were dedicated beach hunters in central Scotland.
We had a lot of fun and picnics too.

Also had a lot of friends similar to ourselves and met each of them from time to time by chance.
159.gif
159.gif

bagpiper.gif
bagpiper.gif

stomping kilt.gif
stomping kilt.gif
stomping kilt.gif
stomping kilt.gif
stomping kilt.gif

fyrffytr1

I'm a young 68 but have a bad lower back and a fused neck so I had to find a detector that was light weight and easy to swing. I have always used White's since I started this hobby in the early 70s but The DFX I had was just too heavy. I bit the bullet and bought an XP Deus. I can swing that machine until my legs give out. But, the reason I am just now posting is because I am thinking about adding a third detector and that is the new Nokta Simplex waterproof one. MSRP is going to be $299 and $399 with the wireless headphones. They even have wireless waterproof phones.
And, Big Boys Hobbies is offering the machine at around $250 advanced ordering. I know you may not be interested in under water hunting but looking at the reviews I think this might be a very good all around detector.

https://www.noktadetectors.com/metal-detector/simplex-metal-detector/

https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/nokta-makro-simplex

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
I'm a young 68 but have a bad lower back and a fused neck so I had to find a detector that was light weight and easy to swing. I have always used White's since I started this hobby in the early 70s but The DFX I had was just too heavy. I bit the bullet and bought an XP Deus. I can swing that machine until my legs give out. But, the reason I am just now posting is because I am thinking about adding a third detector and that is the new Nokta Simplex waterproof one. MSRP is going to be $299 and $399 with the wireless headphones. They even have wireless waterproof phones.
And, Big Boys Hobbies is offering the machine at around $250 advanced ordering. I know you may not be interested in under water hunting but looking at the reviews I think this might be a very good all around detector.

https://www.noktadetectors.com/metal-detector/simplex-metal-detector/

https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/nokta-makro-simplex
I saw a video of the Simplex and it looks like a winner...….

KRose

That is an impressive advertisement. This is the cheapest underwater detector that I have ever seen advertised. If this unit is anything close to what the commercial says it is, there will be many sold.

Minimac

Get to thoroughly KNOW what ever machine you chose. A detector is just a tool. Sure, some tools are 'better' than others, but if you don't know how to properly use it, and get the most out of it, you're just wasting your time and money.