Panasonic Lumix?

Mrs. ScubaMike

I am looking at a refurbished camera on ebay ...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 10.1MP 12X Optical Zoom + Bonus
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 10.1MP 12X Optical Zoom + Bonus - eBay (item 370289305181 end time Dec-11-09 11:44:58 PST)

It is quite a bit cheaper than it would be new, and it comes with the memory card, which is new.

It has a Leica lens, which is good quality, and a 12X optical zoom, which is pretty good for a pocket size DSLR. (The only reason any of my photos come out any good at all is that my Olympus has a 17X zoom).

I read about this Lumix, but I have never seen one. Has anyone used one? The reason I want it is the size, I could put it in my purse. My Olympus is great, but a little too big to carry all the time.

What do you think?

Ric-san

Jax;
What are your requirements....I can sniff out a good deal...I piked up the *8.1 meg Vivitar deal yesterday at Office Depot...(no memory in deal), but got a book (dummies series, sm tripod, lens cleaner and pouch) all for $49.xx plus tax. Its no big name brand, I just take pics of my finds and other small stuff...

Rick

EBCIII

Jax;
What are your requirements....I can sniff out a good deal...I piked up the *8.1 meg Vivitar deal yesterday at Office Depot...(no memory in deal), but got a book (dummies series, sm tripod, lens cleaner and pouch) all for $49.xx plus tax. Its no big name brand, I just take pics of my finds and other small stuff...

Rick

Hey Rick i just got the same camera. It is a nice unit for my needs, same price also, Beale.

Mrs. ScubaMike

Thanks y'all!

Ric-San, the things I liked about this camera in particuar were:

* pocket sized
* 12X zoom
* Leica lens

I used to have a pocket Leica back in the film days when I traveled for my job and took a lot of photos for use in newsletters and things, and you could not beat the quality with the Leica lens. I also had a 35MM point n shoot Vivitar, but I was never happy with the quality. Doubtless operator error!

I think Mike may be getting me this for Xmas ...

Mrs. ScubaMike

This is what I bought my wife and she loves it....
She loves taking pictures of everything....She always has some kind of camera with her.....
The pictures you see me post are with this camera....
Fujifilm FinePix S1000fd 10 MP Digital Camera

Here is one for you......
Wow, that looks like an awesome camera, and it takes great pix!

I have a good camera about that size, my Olympus, and it has a groovy 17X optical zoom, so I love it. The reason I was looking at the Lumix, in addition, is that it is small, so I could carry it in my purse or pocket. The Fuji FinePix looks like about the same size as my Olympus, and I'm waiting something smaller ... Thanks though, that camera looks really nice.

Mrs. ScubaMike

OH! I see!
I get ya now.....:doh:
I have always been keen on Nikon cameras....Have you seen the new Coolpix series they came out with......
Digital Cameras from Nikon
Yah, Mike is a Nikon guy, too. It's something to think about.

Mike just got me, for my birthday, a photography class, and underwater photography class here on the island of Bonaire. I'm so excited! I will be shooting with my regular Olympus in its housing, and I expect the class to make a world of difference in the quality of my photos. Maybe I am expecting too much ... :redface:

Lumix w Leica lens

Mrs. ScubaMike,
My wife has one of these. It takes very, very, very good pictures.
I collected cameras for about 40 years. Honestly, I can't work up any passion for digital cameras. I have a Fuji finepix 700, and it is OK. My wife has the Lumix and I hate to say this, but it takes extremely good pictures.

It has a DC VARIO-ELMAR 1:3.3 - 4.9/4.7 asph lens.

When I got to burn film, I got an M2 and finally got to see what all the fuss over Leica is about. There really is a difference between Leica and other companies lenses, and yes, it is worth the financial outlay if you want a lens that does a really good job for years ane years.

One suggestion - if you buy one, I recommend you also get a few extra batteries for it.
Thanks,
John Morton

bbqcook

TQ Circle of Friends
I have the Panasonic DMC-TZ1, and have been very happy with it. The battery last's a long time. My camera is tough, I pretty much keep it on the golf cart and it bounces around a lot, even got run over before, and still works great. It is starting to look a little rough, but it still takes good pics.
I think you will like it, if it is any thing like mine.

Mrs. ScubaMike

I did get the LUmix with the Leica lens! We looked at it in the electronics stores on St. Martin, and the prices were not great (they're supposed to be duty-free and all special), but then the other day just at Frys Electronics we found it for a decent price -- I guess they make a newer version now with GPS that remembers where your photo was taken? And so they are getting rid of the ghetto ones that don't have GPS.

Anyway, I love the size of it, it is an easy fit in my purse which was what I wanted, something I could carry with me everywhere. I took some shots with it while I was back in PHX last week and they turned out pretty nice, but I need to read the manual and learn the settings better. I really like its being so small and yet have the 16X optical zoom plus such high resolution.

We shall see how durable it is and if I can get good photos with it.