Pinpointing with the MXT?

Had the new MXT out today for a test drive. I was using the 10 inch DD coil with it. I had a hard time pinpointing the targets with it. I have used the XLT and Quantum in the past and I am usually spot on when digging. That was not the case today. Any advice for me?

P.S. dug a 1929 Wheat and 67 Quarter.

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
Might take some pratice to get the hang of it...Might have to tape some coins to a card board and practice some..This will help..Buster.......:wave:

Everything Buster said......and.....

Try putting different known items (coins, rings, gold bars..hehe) at different depths (experiment). Put a label (with the info) exactly above what is buried (the item) and sweep with the "x" pattern to see where your coil is saying it is centered. In time you should find the "sweet spot" with practice, practice, practice. :bthumb:

Hawk

The 10 inch dd coil is just like the elliptical coils except its round.its signal is a narrow band down the length of the coil and not the whole coil shape like concentric coils where the loudest signal is at the center of the coil.Your easiest way is to make a x over the target, pinpointing it from 2 different directions.with some practice you should be able to hit a shallow target with a probe on your first couple of tries.

I also use the 10 inch DD. Place a dime on the ground and see where it pin points. It should be about an inch in front where the rod connects to the coil. Hope this helps.

Sniper

DigsNW

I just got to buy me one of those 6x10 DD coils soon for my MXT. I really, really, really need one. Hope I find a good price. I'll look at our sponsers first.

I do not have the round D2 coil but I would imagine it's the same as pinpointing with 6X10 which I use most of the time. Get the loudest signal under the center of the coil, then pull the coil back to you, when the signal dissapears the target will be just off the front tip of the coil. Sounds easy but it took me awhile to get used to it.

DigsNW

I do not have the round D2 coil but I would imagine it's the same as pinpointing with 6X10 which I use most of the time. Get the loudest signal under the center of the coil, then pull the coil back to you, when the signal dissapears the target will be just off the front tip of the coil. Sounds easy but it took me awhile to get used to it.
That sounds like an excellent tip. When I get mine this week I will try that for sure. Thanks for sharing it.

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
Would the VCO setting also help with the pin pointing???I use that with my XLT and it helps me out a bunch.I am not sure if it has one, but it works well on the DFX and the XLT....Buster.......:biggrin:

Try this

Pattern your coil. By that I mean, set your MD with a very low thresh-hold and with a quarter taped to a plastic or wooden rod, move the coin across the coil, up, down, right to left, etc., while viewing you pin point bars. Although your hot spot should be in the center, thats not always the case. But this will help you identify your coils hot spot.
Hope this helps
Mike

snipers right

Ion the ground and see where it pin points. It should be about an inch in front where the rod connects to the coil. Hope this helps.

Sniper[/

QUOTE]snipers right.after you pull the trigger to pinpoint and you get the lowest readings the target should be just below the center of the coil.right where the coil starts to "y" out.

DigsNW

I know this is an old post and I will give my opinion just for newer people who may be reading this. My 6X10 DD Whites Eclipse coil pinpoints kind of different. The pinpoint spot is right under the pink circle on the top side. I did the air tests and cardboard tests and lots of in the field work but that is how mine pinpoints.

Raoul

Hi Coinshooter,mate if you want to improve the MXT go and buy the 6x10DD coil it is a world of differance in swinging it,pinpointing all round performance. i have just bought the MXT/PRO AND AFTER USING THE COIL THAT CAME WITH IT FOR JUST ONE OUTING I CHANGED IT BACK TO THE 6X10DD AND NOW I'M HAPPY WITH IT do yourself a favour and check it out,pintpointing with it is 100% my mates use pinpointers and spent a lot of time shifting dirt when i with my 10x6DD get it first go,enough said..

Cheers Raoul

KY PI

I love that 6x10 coil too! The sweet spot for the dd coils is right down the middle and about 1" in front of where the coil attaches to the lower rod.

brand new here, sorry for posting on an old topic but I just wanted to confirm what others have mentioned on the MXT and particular search coils..

I've got the mxt e-series with 950 coil and DD eliptical coil.. Have had best results in the grass/play field of local parks or scooping for targets in the sand box's by doing an x pattern from two different directions, pulling the trigger a couple times to reduce sensitivity/switch to all metal mode etc..

the 950 e series and the DD eliptical both seem to center targets about one inch infront of the pivot/mount bolt.

The DD eliptical is a bit better around large metal play structures, I've found dimes and nickels within 3" of a 4" diameter swing set metal post with the eliptical.

I agree with the suggestions, take some items out into the yard and test the sound and location, mark each target with a label and depth and try different depths between 2 and 8" below the coil and get used to those sounds in a good pair of headphones that have volume adjust.

These were the instructions that I was given in person by an old timer whites dealer up on Old Sanjose road in california.. He helped me out on my first whites detector back when I was using a coinmaster 6000 hip mount.

swamp yankee

Had the new MXT out today for a test drive. I was using the 10 inch DD coil with it. I had a hard time pinpointing the targets with it. I have used the XLT and Quantum in the past and I am usually spot on when digging. That was not the case today. Any advice for me?

P.S. dug a 1929 Wheat and 67 Quarter.
A suggestion for all fellow detectorists, I went to a local coin shop and bought a set of junk/ period coins(Barbers) and war nickles(silver) to check the unit for function and adjustment. Saves much time/aggravation and you can toss 'em on the ground you're searching to get a good/ accurate VDI # too!