Pro-Pointer Done For

Status
Not open for further replies.

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
I've had my Garrett Pro-pointer for 4 years. In that time it was used a lot. Finally I started having problems with it which included hardly any sound, loss of vibration feature, difficulty putting it on, difficulty shutting it off and falsing when not near metal. Finally I contacted Garrett to explain the problems and I asked them if they had an idea as to what was causing these problems. They said they had no idea !!!! and asked for the serial number of the unit. After giving them that info they got back to me and said the warranty had expired. OK.....I understand that but wasn't asking them to fix it for free. I only wanted to know what was wrong with it and would it be worthwhile spending money to have it fixed or would I be better off buying a new one. They pretty much gave me the old "brush off" and that was the end of the conversation. I decided to just go ahead and buy a new one because Garrett has a new version of the PP on the market and Kellyco is selling the older version for $110 with free shipping. I ordered the PP on Monday and it came in on Friday, just in time for my weekend hunts. I will say, I like the Garrett PP but am not too pleased with their customer service.

majakldragon

Well Known Member
Staff member
In Garrett's opinion its always better to buy a new one. I don't believe they will ever tell you its better to have it repaired, unless under warranty. Garrett's Customer Service is second to none, but they are in business to make money. Customer Service can't explain what may or may not be wrong with the unit as its beyond their area of expertise. That would go to the lab or technical area to be sorted out. All that being said, the new pin pointers are a lot better than the ones of 4 years ago so buying new WAS a better deal. You also have a new 2 year warranty.

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
Yup...I had one that I wore out....about 5 years...I sent it in and they said it was corroded and could not be fixed...Not under warranty also...they said they would sell me a new one for around 90 bucks, which I bought...I did OK on this deal....They are a good tool......Chuck.. :)

Orosurf

In Garrett's opinion its always better to buy a new one. I don't believe they will ever tell you its better to have it repaired, unless under warranty. Garrett's Customer Service is second to none, but they are in business to make money. Customer Service can't explain what may or may not be wrong with the unit as its beyond their area of expertise. That would go to the lab or technical area to be sorted out. All that being said, the new pin pointers are a lot better than the ones of 4 years ago so buying new WAS a better deal. You also have a new 2 year warranty.
Do you work for Garrett ? If so , can you tell me why my coil cracked ? It is still under warranty for another month ;) Unfortunately It is much cheaper to fill the crack with epoxy than to post it to Garrett, Anyway it still works...

homefire

Never had issues with Garrett Warranty. If it broke send it in and in a week or two you get it back fixed or a new one. Good God, it was out of warranty and used up. Nothing last for EVER! Even You.

How many times have we heard about them sending a New one in place of the Broken one here? Don't like Garret? Buy Whites or Tesoro! Tesoro has a Life Time Warranty.

majakldragon

Well Known Member
Staff member
If you call and explain the situation they may send you a RMA to have the coil replaced. Normally the buyer pays to send but Garrett pays to send back. Many times the RMA can be emailed.

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
I know that nothing lasts forever. I knew the warranty had expired. I knew that fixing it would cost me some money. My issue was that the person I talked to never made an effort to put me in touch with someone who could give me an idea as to whether or not it would be cost effective to fix, versus buying a new one. I suspected that the person answering the phone wouldn't be able to tell me what was wrong with it. After I provided the serial number someone from the tech staff should have been given the info and put in touch with me. I just got the impression that the person on the phone couldn't be bothered putting me in contact with someone who COULD answer my questions.

Very unusual,, Garrett has always been good to me ,, both in information over the phone and repairs/ replacement.
Their service has always kept me a happy camper. I have owned 3 of their metal detectors, and have given away 3 as gifts.
I now have 3 Pin Pointers by Garrett and the new AT pin pointer. The last 2 pin pointers I sent in for repairs, cost me $58
for one, and the other was under warranty, (free). Both came back looking brand new.
Anyone can have a bad day so just maybe you caught the person on the phone during one of those moments.
Don't forget,, they have been getting hammered with tornadoes and all sorts of crazy weather.
Then add the fact that we just lost Charles Garrett.
Tough one SoJo.
After all the excellent interaction that I have had with them, I wouldn't let one iffy treatment turn me off.
How much did you spend on their waterproof unit??

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
Very unusual,, Garrett has always been good to me ,, both in information over the phone and repairs/ replacement.
Their service has always kept me a happy camper. I have owned 3 of their metal detectors, and have given away 3 as gifts.
I now have 3 Pin Pointers by Garrett and the new AT pin pointer. The last 2 pin pointers I sent in for repairs, cost me $58
for one, and the other was under warranty, (free). Both came back looking brand new.
Anyone can have a bad day so just maybe you caught the person on the phone during one of those moments.
Don't forget,, they have been getting hammered with tornadoes and all sorts of crazy weather.
Then add the fact that we just lost Charles Garrett.
Tough one SoJo.
After all the excellent interaction that I have had with them, I wouldn't let one iffy treatment turn me off.
How much did you spend on their waterproof unit??
I didn't buy the waterproof unit. I bought another of the originals at a clearance price from Kellyco. I didn't let someone's bad day influence my purchase. I purchased another Garrett PP. It's really not a big deal, I'm not worried about it, and I think some are reading more into my post than I intended. I was simply trying to find out how much a repair would cost, then decide whether to send it in for repairs or just spend the extra money on a new one. I decided to get a new one....end of problem. You mentioned that one of yours cost $58 to repair and came back as good as new. Had I been quoted that price range for a repair I would have opted for a new one.

Last edited:

majakldragon

Well Known Member
Staff member
Ok this is the information I was sent regarding the questions/concerns above.

Our Customer Service Team fields all questions that come into Garrett. This includes but not limited to all question on the technical side. Our customer service reps have been trained and some even worked as technicians prior to coming to the customer service side. The decision to replace or repair the machine is not a decision that is made over the phone before we have the chance to look over the machine. Once we have reviewed the machine we will make a determination on the next step. Our customer service reps all have the ability to make decisions that best help our customers in their needs. To help keep our customers repairs moving thru very quickly the actual technicians do not speak directly to customers, however like I stated previously our customer service reps all have a very vast knowledge of our machines and the repair side of them as well. Please let everyone know that we do want them to have the best operating equipment at the best cost. To make the best decision we can the more information we can have the better informed we can make the customer.

Thanks

Adam Lewis

Garrett Metal Detectors

972-494-6151

972-494-1881 (Fax)

1-800-527-4011

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
Their statement is that they do not make decisions over the phone to replace or repair the item in question. I was not looking for them to replace it because it was out of warranty. I was not looking for them to make a decision for me. I am a reasonably intelligent adult capable of making my own decisions. I was hoping they could give me an idea as to what it would cost to REPAIR it, which would then influence MY decision as to whether to send it in for repairs or simply buy a new one. They also state that though tech people do not speak directly to customers their service reps have vast knowledge of the machines and the repair side of them as well. If the person I dealt with had such knowledge she did not use any of it. The proper thing to do would have been to tell me that I need to send them the unit so they can figure out what the problem is and then get back to me with an estimate. They did not do this. Now.......let's PLEASE put this to rest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.