Prospecting in western PA

Discussion in 'Prospecting for Gold' started by Gregory, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Gregory

Gregory Administrator-Site Founder Staff Member

Hi,
    I've thought about this for years, has anyone ever heard of gold being found in my area? (South western PA)

I was thinking that there might be some nuggets in the Appalachian mountain area creeks & streams near where I live but never heard of anyone panning for them.
  2. georgewva

georgewva New Member

western pa

Hi,
    They have been finding some gold up around Moraine St. park and they have a GPAA Chapter (Allegheny Chapter ) I think you can get the link to them off the GPAA web site. If you contact them they can give you some more ideas of where to go.
    George
  3. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Prospecting in your area

The GPAA is a very good source for information on recreational prospecting. I will be posting that link and a couple of other links that I use for prospecting and metal detecting information.

Prospectors and detectorists have many things in common ie: metal detectors, other tools, code of ethics, and much more.

Indy
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Greg,

Gold has been "mined in 48 states". Your state is one of them. Indiana is one that has not been "mined" for gold. I don't rememeber the other state.

That doesn't mean that these states don't have gold. They have placer gold. There may not have been enough gold to warrant the opening of actual mines.

Some states have "placer" gold only and some states have placer gold and veins of gold.

Before histories famous "Gold Rush" in the 1800's, gold was being mined in 48 states.

Just a bit of trivia. The United States had a mint in the south until the beginning of the Civil War. One of the main reasons they had a mint in the south was due to the hazardous conditions of transporting the gold to other mints. ie: robberies, terrain, ect. Especially the fear of being robbed.

In a future thread, I will be explaining what "placer gold is". I am researching Indiana for placer gold. I've been in touch with Indiana Universities Geology department. I will bring a part of some emails from them to me explaining the glacial flows over the United States.

Indyjones has "Gold Fever" bye..bye!!

Prospectors get down deep and dirty!
  5. Chas

Chas New Member

Gold in Indiana

Hi, I have been panning gold out of our creek for years now and upgraded to a old gold-vac a few years ago. I havent struck it rich yet but find some color about every time. 8)
  6. PAPPY

PAPPY Active Member

WEST VIRGINIA GOLD PROSPECTING

INDY, Can you provide me with any information concerning panning in West Virginia? Story has it around my neck of the woods that the Indians that used to occupy the area around where I live always said that there was enough gold in this area to shoe all of the White Man's Horses.THANKS for any help....PAPPY :D :D :D
  7. Dugday

Dugday Well-Known Member

Find Gold in SW Pa

I haven't heard of anything being found there, but I did read somewhere in Lebanon York Lancaster Counties they been finding color in their pans in most of the streams and creeks. I thought about trying this since these are very close to my home. Something else for my Round-To-It List, but it does sound like a fun project. :)
  8. beefcarver

beefcarver Member

about Gold/silver

Did you know that it takes the heat and pressure of an exploding star to create Gold and silver? all of the Gold and silver found on earth came from stardust. and some have eventually made it to the surface to be discovered by humans. That is what makes these metals so scarce and valuable......

Learn something new everyday.....
  9. Ohiopyle_Rob

Ohiopyle_Rob Member

Greg

Give me a call sometime soon. Since my recent find. I have done allot of research for the area. I have come up with some great information. I even located a couple very, very, old family Journals from the Ohiopyle area...All I have to say is. Lets go to Johnathon Run!!!!! 1 mile from the house!!! :shock:

724-277-8099
  10. Gregory

Will do Rob, what time will you be home on Saturday?
    I have a friend on the mountain who told me that old timers are still panning for gold in the mountain creeks and streams :wink:

Also, friends of the family just purchased the Great Meadow Amphitheater to run a zoo, It's right next to fort necessity :wink: ought to be some battle areas and trails around there to hunt legally.

I should be home Saturday around early afternoon.
  11. Ohiopyle_Rob

Ohiopyle_Rob Member

Greg

Ill be home all day Saturday. Just let me know. Great Meadows should be an awesome place to hit. The Braddock Road acctually goes right accross the front end of the property...I have been tracing the road for many years. Just never detected it yet. :D
  12. SGTFDA

SGTFDA Member

Great Meadows

I was talking to the owner of Pa. Police Supply and he told me the area is covered with musket balls. He said must have been a ton of shooting in the area. The road runs right behind his building in Chalk Hill.
  13. Gregory

Yes, a lot of skirmishes have taken place up there and theres still many spots to hunt...hmmm, I'll need to do some research and find a hot spot:smile:
  14. dusty1969

dusty1969 New Member

GOLD In Creeks

any record of gold in the creeks and streams of allegheny county
  15. LeoinPA

LeoinPA Member

16. Dugday

Dugday Well-Known Member

Good info. Great web site. Thanks........!
  17. Abraxsis

Abraxsis Well-Known Member

Some gold found in nw pa.

My brother and i found some flour gold by oil city a few weeks ago. Nothing to write home about. But it is in those rivers around there.