Question about a couple artifacts

okawbow

What do you think about these artifacts? Found along the Mississippi North Western Illinois.
The knife has flaked edges and lots of polish/wear from use.
The round stone is polished and has slight pitting or roughness around the equator.

How old?

Attachments

mtbricky

Both are definitely artifacts. The knife, although crude, has unmistakable signs of shaping and flaking and could be quite old. Many of the artifacts we think of as spear points were also prehistoric pocket knives - used for skinning, shaping wood, digging and anything else they needed it for. The granite sphere is what I've heard refered to as game balls. I have never heard a definitive consensus as to it's use, but they all show pecking signs of being shaped by humans and are often beautifully polished and symetrical. I have found several and always wonder how they were made so perfectly round. Nice stuff okawbow.

okawbow

Thanks Bricky! I always thought that piece was too well shaped and functional to be an accident.

Here are two more I found just yards away from my house in Fayette co. Illinois, fairly recently. I found one by accident, and returned to the same spot a year later and found the other.

Attachments

mtbricky

Again these are unmistakably artifacts. Slightly atypical but much better made than the piece in the first group. These are nice sized, and the fact that they come from the same place. and share the same general shape is interesting. Probably had a very specific use. Neither appears to be broken or unfinished. Very unique pieces. Thanks for sharing!

okawbow

I have always looked for artifacts when I had the chance over the last 60 years or so. Never got too serious about it, and didn’t really know anything about them. Recently I have become more curious about the ages and uses for the rocks I’ve found.

Here are some of the pieces I have found locally while walking fields actually looking for artifacts, and by accident, while out bow hunting, hiking, or fishing.
9AF2DDEE-7FAF-4371-837C-B073C959E508.jpeg
B0D28E3B-1331-45B1-89CA-F2C90BBB85B0.jpeg

mtbricky

You found more by accident than most of us find on purpose. There are some good books availabe on flint types. It is fun to look them up and find their ages, rarity, value etc.. Some very nice pieces in there. NW Illinois is a rich with prehistory. I see pieces in there spanning several thousand years!

schoser2

Wow. I'm in Jo Davies county and although I've been looking, I haven't found anything nice as those. I know they're out there though.

Just found this piece in the edge of my country home yard. I live on a hill top, and always thought it was a good relic site.

This stone is 2 1/2” diameter and 1 3/4” thick. There is a perfectly flat bottom with visible scratch grooves. There is also visible grind marks near a section that appears to have chipped off. The stone is heavy and hard.

Looks too polished and perfect to be a random creek stone, and the nearest stream is a mile away. What do you think?

Chuck
DCB3700A-AB5F-4A7B-A853-9D69E669B16F.jpeg
B9585901-9254-4641-9AD8-7C3F61053CED.jpeg
31BF185C-A683-4FBF-B043-2C23AF4B05BA.jpeg

mtbricky

Looks like fine grained igneous rock. The flat side looks a lot like the business end of a pestle and though the overal form is not typical of a pestle it checks a lot of boxes and was likely used for coarse grinding of grain. It could also be a restoration of a broken pestle. The wear on the flat side does not seem to show a lot of use as many pestle's do. The smaller indention could have been used in the starting of fire, or as a small mortar for the grinding of something fine - herbs or medicines. Funny that it is on the side rather than the top when the tool is setting on the flat side - could suggest another very specific use. This is all speculation, but I feel confident it is a stone tool fabricated by and used by our prehistoric ancestors. Nice find.