Question about my GTI 2500

Gsong

I recently purchased this detector from a person who bought it new and never got a chance to use before he passed away. It's virtually brand new in that it had never been used outside. I've been detecting for many years but I've had a Whites classic for the last 20. I'm not used to these new types of detectors, so I'm not sure if this one is right or not.

Question: Is it normal to have a constant hum? It does it only with the head phones on. I haven't got to use it but once because of the weather but it seemed to not show any difference in metal types either. Does anyone know if there have been upgrades or defects in this model. I would very much appreciate any leads with this I can get before I send it to the factory. Thank you! Gary in Eugene

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
Some detectors have a hum from the threshold which can be adjusted to be silent. I have a Garrett AT Max which can have a threshold hum if you want it, but I can make it run silent if I choose to which is in fact the way I run my machine. If you go to the Garrett website you may be able to see an instructional video of your detector. If not, call Garrett and they should be able to answer your questions and solve your issues.

Gsong

Thank you I'll definitely check that out...!

Some detectors have a hum from the threshold which can be adjusted to be silent. I have a Garrett AT Max which can have a threshold hum if you want it, but I can make it run silent if I choose to which is in fact the way I run my machine. If you go to the Garrett website you may be able to see an instructional video of your detector. If not, call Garrett and they should be able to answer your questions and solve your issues.

DigsNW

Welcome to the site. It sounds like you learn like I do. A lot of people don’t understand that you can tell me a hundred times but until I do it myself I won’t learn.
I have a couple buddy’s I used to hunt with down your way. They used to be on this site but no longer are. I am up in Vancouver.

Gsong

Welcome to the site. It sounds like you learn like I do. A lot of people don’t understand that you can tell me a hundred times but until I do it myself I won’t learn.
I have a couple buddy’s I used to hunt with down your way. They used to be on this site but no longer are. I am up in Vancouver.
Thank you, Yeah, I really appreciate the videos! The video put out by Garrett is to the point and I actually learned something. I put off upgrading my detector for years because I didn't want to have to spend a lot of time learning something new but once I got the basics, it's really not that hard. I've had a simple Whites classic for years and I've done pretty good with it. I've almost filled a five gallon bucket with clads and I don't know how many rings but where I live there's not a lot of older stuff to find. You can go to just about any pawn shop here and find piles of detectors from guy's who lost ‎Interest‎ after their first outing. I think most see the advertising and they think all they have to do is go down to park and find a pile gold...LOL! I know it's good to have a decent detector but I think persistence and planning are the real keys, especially in places like where I live. It amazes me how deep things can be. I found a complete coke can (that couldn't have been more than a couple years old) in the city park that was a good 6 inches in the ground! The northwest gets so much rain that things really sink! I bought my first detector back in the early 70's and it was about as basic as it could get but I had a lot of fun with it. I'm hoping that this new Garrett will help me out a little, I'm getin' a little too old to be digging up so much junk. It does seem to discriminate pretty well. I've been practicing here in house so when the rain lets off I can't wait to get out...Sorry for writing a book. I've been stuck inside so long that I'm going to go crazy If I don't get out soon! A fireman I worked with years ago used to hunt Portland and he had some very nice old coins from the parks up there. It was nice to meet you, good luck up there!

DigsNW

Thank you, Yeah, I really appreciate the videos! The video put out by Garrett is to the point and I actually learned something. I put off upgrading my detector for years because I didn't want to have to spend a lot of time learning something new but once I got the basics, it's really not that hard. I've had a simple Whites classic for years and I've done pretty good with it. I've almost filled a five gallon bucket with clads and I don't know how many rings but where I live there's not a lot of older stuff to find. You can go to just about any pawn shop here and find piles of detectors from guy's who lost ‎Interest‎ after their first outing. I think most see the advertising and they think all they have to do is go down to park and find a pile gold...LOL! I know it's good to have a decent detector but I think persistence and planning are the real keys, especially in places like where I live. It amazes me how deep things can be. I found a complete coke can (that couldn't have been more than a couple years old) in the city park that was a good 6 inches in the ground! The northwest gets so much rain that things really sink! I bought my first detector back in the early 70's and it was about as basic as it could get but I had a lot of fun with it. I'm hoping that this new Garrett will help me out a little, I'm getin' a little too old to be digging up so much junk. It does seem to discriminate pretty well. I've been practicing here in house so when the rain lets off I can't wait to get out...Sorry for writing a book. I've been stuck inside so long that I'm going to go crazy If I don't get out soon! A fireman I worked with years ago used to hunt Portland and he had some very nice old coins from the parks up there. It was nice to meet you, good luck up there!
Thank you. It is always nice to meet people from our area. Not many on this site. I switched from a Whites MTX to A Garret AT PRO and am still trying to figure it out.
I think the reason we don’t find that much on the left side is because we are newer than the right side is and many traveling out here had to jettison most of their stuff just to get to Oregon. That and the fact Tharp the west coast was mostly fur trading and lumber. Not much treasures to find there. That being said I still like to try find what has been dropped.

Gsong

Thank you. It is always nice to meet people from our area. Not many on this site. I switched from a Whites MTX to A Garret AT PRO and am still trying to figure it out.
I think the reason we don’t find that much on the left side is because we are newer than the right side is and many traveling out here had to jettison most of their stuff just to get to Oregon. That and the fact Tharp the west coast was mostly fur trading and lumber. Not much treasures to find there. That being said I still like to try find what has been dropped.
I really envy folks on the east coast and other places. I knew an old guy that spent most of his life detecting and mapping the Santa Fe trail and he had quite a collection of gold coins. I like digging around old home sites hoping one day I'll stumble onto a cache, that's what keeps me going...you never know!:)

Gsong

For anyone that may be having the same problem I was having with the Garrett GTI 2500. I finally figured out what my problem was. I replaced the 9.5 disc and she works wonderfully now. Apparently it sat for years with the loop bent in the box and when I started using it, it caused a short in the ord. Seems to be a pretty common problem...I'm going to see if I can't beef it up a bit and hope it last's a little longer that way.

too_pointer

For anyone that may be having the same problem I was having with the Garrett GTI 2500. I finally figured out what my problem was. I replaced the 9.5 disc and she works wonderfully now. Apparently it sat for years with the loop bent in the box and when I started using it, it caused a short in the ord. Seems to be a pretty common problem...I'm going to see if I can't beef it up a bit and hope it last's a little longer that way.
Glad you figured out what was wrong with it. I bought a coil wire cover for my last detector, and think I got it from Kellyco, but can't find any for sale anymore. I hunt the woods, more than anywhere else, so wanted the extra protection. ;) Don't really think it was needed, but offered better protection for branches and ferns.
too_

too_pointer

I found them on Amazon and ordered one today...looks like a good idea! Thank you!

Amazon.com : Snake Skinz Cable Sleeves for Metal Detectors (Viper) : Garden & Outdoor
Thanks for the info, I ordered one also, hopefully they will get more in. Appreciate you sharing . Sharp looking, coins won't have a chance LOL !!!! :cool::DI hope it will fit the coil wire on my AT Pro. Don't care much about covering the ends, will see when I get it. I like black, plastic cable ties to hold the coil wire to the stem, and will work fine for the skinz. FYI, for anybody who might want to order one, be aware there are 8 different colors to pick from, I got the green one, well, hope I got one, no big hurry, no bare ground in my area yet. !
too_

Last edited: