Question about Target ID's for T2

I know that one should rely on the tones instead of the ID's and that gold can come in from foil on up. However, have any of you ever dug anything good that had an ID in the 60's?

Through some 'air' tests, I got the following:

Small Gold Ring 57
Gold Ring x 2 (could be fake) 58
Gold Ring (could be fake) 73
Gold Wedding Band 75
Gold Class Ring 78

pennystock

I know that one should rely on the tones instead of the ID's and that gold can come in from foil on up. However, have any of you ever dug anything good that had an ID in the 60's?

Through some 'air' tests, I got the following:

Small Gold Ring 57
Gold Ring x 2 (could be fake) 58
Gold Ring (could be fake) 73
Gold Wedding Band 75
Gold Class Ring 78
well, your real gold chimes in just a tad bit lower than copper pennies..........i thought i had a real good dime at 6 inches, 83-84 and it was a wheat penny...........if its trying to determine if its a dime or zinc penny, its usually a wheat penny.....if im coin shooting, ill set the disc to 75.......turn my sensitivity way up to 90, and dig everything...even nickels that should be at 58.........

homefire

Target ID is not written in stone.

Even two of the same machines may come up with different numbers.

Until you dig it all and figure out what the target MAY BE by that number you will never know.

I love people that ignore pull tab numbers. They loose nickels and small gold rings.

DBG

I love people that ignore pull tab numbers. They loose nickels and small gold rings.
I used to do just that, but finally figured out that with the AT Pro a Nickel usually hits and repeats @ 51-52 and pulltabs hit @ 53-55. But like ya said "nothing is chiseled in Stone" but She-Digger and I didn't dig a single pulltab at the school we hunted last weekend & we got 27 nickels. She's the one that figured this out.
As for the small Gold Rings, I don't know. But where I was getting 25 pulltabs to 1 Nickel, I now probably get 25 Nickels to one pulltab. I'm happy with that.:D

What is your all's favorite Tone setting when searching for 'everything' above iron? I have been using 2+, but found a thread that said 3 was better for coin shooting and most coins (excluding zinc pennies) will produce a high tone. Sure enough, it was in my owner's manual and when I tested it, each coin I hit produced a high tone. I did some air testing with the gold items I have and most provided a medium tone, with one ring giving a high tone. In regard to recognizing coins by tone, it made it much, much easier.

pennystock

What is your all's favorite Tone setting when searching for 'everything' above iron? I have been using 2+, but found a thread that said 3 was better for coin shooting and most coins (excluding zinc pennies) will produce a high tone. Sure enough, it was in my owner's manual and when I tested it, each coin I hit produced a high tone. I did some air testing with the gold items I have and most provided a medium tone, with one ring giving a high tone. In regard to recognizing coins by tone, it made it much, much easier.
2+ for me...3 was just way to high pitched.........

Tomcat Uk

Hi,
The tones will change with the purity of the metal, if it is 9 ct gold or 24 ct gold the tones will be different.. Same with silver the tones will differ depending on the amount of silver present.
Cheers
TC

I started out this morning using 3 tones, but it became busy on the ears. I felt more comfortable using 2+ so I switched back. I found a lot of clad and one gold 'colored' ring that gave a solid tone and had an ID of 70.

How much testing have you all done with discrimination and depth readings? The areas I've been hunting have the most potential for coins and jewelry. I've been using 40 mostly and trying to dig every solid signal. I did find the info below which was interesting as to how it can affect the depth reading. Another question, if a tone is not solid with both sweeps (back and forth - high one way, low or nothing the other) and the meter jumps around, do you dig it?

Discrimination Levels

0 - 9" depth reading (extremely noisy due to EMI & machines internal circuitry noise)
10 - 7" depth reading (approx 50% less noise than 0 disc setting)
21 - 6 1/2" depth reading (quiet)
30 - 6" depth reading (quiet)
40 - 6" depth reading (quiet)
49 - 5 1/2" depth reading (quiet)
50 - 9" depth reading (this is where another huge increase in Gain occurs, besides the zero setting. Same noise level as 0 disc setting)
60 - 9" depth reading (approx 50% less noise than 50 disc setting)
70 - 8 1/2" depth reading (quiet)
80 - 8" depth reading (quiet)

Tomcat Uk

Hi,
Here in the UK the ground usually is very cluttered with all kinds of metal. Firstly let me say this if your discrimination is 4 you gain 2 inches in depth, do not push the sensitivity over 80-85 max. Otherwise it can be like a rabbit in the headlights and you might miss small items.
Now secondly a round ring whether made from iron or gold will always give a loud signal, it has to do with the magnetic properties of the circle.
And yes I dig all sounds that give a high tone even if a grunt follows, sometimes it is rubbish with a flat surface but several times I found silver coins right next to a nail or some other waste metal object. Trust the T2 signals dig the high pitch tones, all of them in any combination of sounds on 2+; ignore the meter it is only an indication of what might be there and seldom accurate.
If you feel strong buy the 15 x 12 SEF coil and you will have serious depth on the T2 with the settings sens 80 tone 2+ and disc 4. I dug a hammered coin 24 inches down beneath a layer of solid clay took three of us to get it out the link is here below
http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=2903&p=18247#p18247

So if I get to a field that is very quiet I pull out the 15 x 12 SEF coil dust it off and give it a go it always pays to do so even if you spend 2 hours digging a hole.

I have been using my T2 for 3 years now and will not exchange it for any other machine on the market. It does take time to get used to the chatter but once you are used to it you will realize you have one of the best machines out there. Just take the time to get used to what she tells you.
Greetings
and when in doubt DIG!
TC

I used to do just that, but finally figured out that with the AT Pro a Nickel usually hits and repeats @ 51-52 and pulltabs hit @ 53-55. But like ya said "nothing is chiseled in Stone" but She-Digger and I didn't dig a single pulltab at the school we hunted last weekend & we got 27 nickels. She's the one that figured this out.
As for the small Gold Rings, I don't know. But where I was getting 25 pulltabs to 1 Nickel, I now probably get 25 Nickels to one pulltab. I'm happy with that.:D
Thanks again Rick:cool: