Questions on the 6x10 DD coil

I just got one and used it this weekend. I noticed that is has a very small (narrow) search area, unlike the 950 coil. It also seems to be much harder to pinpoint with, though I think I will get that with time.

My biggest beef with it is that is seems to give allot of falses. I get good penny tone, and the VDI says it's a penny for sure (like it does with the 950 coil, which has never given me a bad signal on coins) and it turns out to be a screw top. Not even a close match on the VDI scale.

If anyone is running this coil, please give me some tips on what I may be doing with it, or not doing right.

It is better at sifting through the trash than the 950, and it will find the unbelievably smallest piece of foil buried near the middle of the earth, but I seem to dig more trash with it than the 950 because of either the pinpointing problems, and the false signals I seem to be getting.

Frank

Hey bigfrank

DD Coils love round objects and many times will initially sound off loud with higher VDI#'s on rusty bottlecaps and some of the modern twistoffs but a few quick swipes over the target will reveal it as a trash target with a broken signal. Most accepted targets with the proper density will remain strong hits with fairly accurate ID provided they aren't too deep.I hate those big twistoff wine and large beer bottle caps :cussing:

The pinpoint center on the 6"x10" DD coil is just outfront of the mounting tabs however the front edge of the DD coil can be used to locate targets rather easily if you approach from a few different angles in pinpoint or disc modes and the coil will usually react when the target is about 1" inside the coils leading edge.

DD coils are mainly used for hunting highly mineralized conditions and not always the best choice for ID. Try experimenting with sensitivity settings also.

Hey Frank,

Remember.....there is a learning curve to anything. Keep working with it and it will pay off for sure. :wink:

I know a guy in California that uses the 6X10 DD for pretty much everything he does out there. He seems to frequent parks and such, which I find interesting. I've seen some of his pics and he seems to have his system down pretty good!

That is probably the next coil on my list. I'm all about "application". I've heard some good reviews on that specific coil. I will be interested to see how it works for you.

Oh....Not sure what kind of area you are working, but different kinds of mineralization can affect the readings.

Keep on digging!

Hawk

Hey bigfrank

DD Coils love round objects and many times will initially sound off loud with higher VDI#'s on rusty bottlecaps and some of the modern twistoffs but a few quick swipes over the target will reveal it as a trash target with a broken signal. Most accepted targets with the proper density will remain strong hits with fairly accurate ID provided they aren't too deep.I hate those big twistoff wine and large beer bottle caps :cussing:

The pinpoint center on the 6"x10" DD coil is just outfront of the mounting tabs however the front edge of the DD coil can be used to locate targets rather easily if you approach from a few different angles in pinpoint or disc modes and the coil will usually react when the target is about 1" inside the coils leading edge.

DD coils are mainly used for hunting highly mineralized conditions and not always the best choice for ID. Try experimenting with sensitivity settings also.
Yes, those big beer bottle twist offs are a pain. They usually will VDI as a nickel, but are deeper than they show. I have dug my share of them.

I think the biggest thing with the DD coils is that they pick out the small targets well. I dig a clasp that was 1/4"x3/16" today that was 4" deep and had a strong signal. It was a bit rusty, which probably helped with the target.

I have been pinpointing then cross sweeping and that has helped. I have the coins down pretty good, and the poptops and pull tabs I have down pretty good aslo, but I still end up digging some. I haven't found any rings, and I don't know what they sound like. Guess I'll have to go bury one and see what it tones. I'll keep at it.

Hey Frank,

Remember.....there is a learning curve to anything. Keep working with it and it will pay off for sure. :wink:

I know a guy in California that uses the 6X10 DD for pretty much everything he does out there. He seems to frequent parks and such, which I find intesting. I've seen some of his pics and he seems to have his system down pretty good!

That is probably the next coil on my list. I'm all about "application". I've heard some good reviews on that specific coil. I will be interested to see how it works for you.

Oh....Not sure what kind of area you are working, but different kinds of mineralization can affect the readings.

Keep on digging!

Hawk
All of our ground out here in my area has allot of iron in it. That is one of the reasons that I got the DD coil. That and I want to do some prospecting, which I think this coil will be great at. I will eventually get the 4x6DD as I think it will be even better on the nuggets.

I'm going to keep using the 6x10 so I can get used to it. I'm still not hitting the pinpoint very good, but I think it will come. With the 950 coil, it's easy.

I have tried to do the pinpoint/pullback/wiggle. dig at the front with the 6x10, and sometimes it works great, and other times I can't find the target. It does seem to pinpoint right near the mounting point.

I have noticed that with the 6x10, you can run the gain up higher if you want without the noise problems. That is nice sometimes when you want to go a bit deeper.

I have been reading the MXT Edge book, and just lst night, learned the correct way to ground balance. It made a difference today when I ent out for an hour or so. Used the LOCK position some today and really liked it. Seemed to help allot with our "hot" ground around here. For the first time ever, I didn't have "HOT ROCK" constantly on my display, and the tone was much smoother and quieter. Almost to the point that I though something was wrong. I even went back and buried a pop tab and swung it to see if the machine was working right. So I must have done something right.

If you guys don't have the MXT Edge book, get it. It's worth it's weight in gold. I'm going to get through it, then do a full weekend of detecting, then go back and read it again and again until it all sinks in.

Thanks for the help guys...

Frank

Hey Frank,

Glad you like the MXT Edge book! Don't know if you skimmed the pages or not, but Chapter 13 goes over the different search coils pretty well.

Hawk

Hey Frank,

Glad you like the MXT Edge book! Don't know if you skimmed the pages or not, but Chapter 13 goes over the different search coils pretty well.

Hawk
Hadn't gotten that far, but did look ahead a bit. Trying to go through it from front to back, then I will go back and hit the parts I need help on again.

bula

6x10 coil

I have only had mine for two weeks, but I like it alot. My pin point location is about one inch forward & one inch to the right of the center of the coil.
I spent a lot of time just placing a coin on the ground and going over it time and time again. This helped me find the sweet spot.

I went to a place that I knew there would be a lot of bulletts and spent a few hours pin pointing on them. The only time I miss a coin is when it is on its side instead of laying flat. Or it is a coke can about ten inches deep.

I have a 4x6 ordered & am looking forward to comparing it to the 4x6

I have only had mine for two weeks, but I like it alot. My pin point location is about one inch forward & one inch to the right of the center of the coil.
I spent a lot of time just placing a coin on the ground and going over it time and time again. This helped me find the sweet spot.

I went to a place that I knew there would be a lot of bulletts and spent a few hours pin pointing on them. The only time I miss a coin is when it is on its side instead of laying flat. Or it is a coke can about ten inches deep.

I have a 4x6 ordered & am looking forward to comparing it to the 4x6
I'm going to go out and do some testing with mine later today. I'm wondering if I made a mistake buying the 6x10 instead of the 4x6. Probably will end up owning both someday...

I have a 4x6 DD eclipse coil on my mxt, it does really well in trashy target filled areas, like around picnic tables and such, used it a full week and found out if it shows your target is 4" deep, it's usually2", if it shows 8" deep, its usually4". Dug a 22 caliber bullet at 8", although the pinpoint display was showing 12", this signal was more or less making the threshold act weird, so I flipped it into prospecting and it showed only 10 percent chance of iron, so I dug it, no colonial copper or anything, just a bullet. The 4x6 is light as a feather, but doesn't cover much ground, but you can get very close to steel poles with it around fences, playground pipes etc. When I switched to the 9.5 coil, I dug 2 bullets in a ballfield, solid 50 vdi solid lock on bullet in relic mode, I'm still experimenting !! Rich

I have read that some people with minelabs will flip the metal detector so that the front of the coils edge is pointing towards the ground to pinpoint objects.