She's charming!

Megagold

Hi all! I bought this lovely old vintage antique dresser. I'm going to keep her because she's charming and sweet. Rod is going to redo the top for me, but I think I could do it myself...lol Any ways does anyone know how old this petite dresser is. There is no name on the back. There is dove tail drawers, and the mirror swivels. There is heavy brass drawer pulls.We have the pieces for that. We had to search the store for the mirror. The guy said he thought it was sold, so I was not going to buy it without the mirror. It's not that high or that long. I think it's about 100 years old. She is my treasure for the month! We paid $40.00.

Attachments

KRose

Brenda, that is a very pretty piece for sure. I'm like the others, my guess would be early 1900's. My wife is crazy about antiques too, so much that she marred one. Let us see some pic's when you're finished. It doesn't look like it needs much work. Congrat's on a new treasure found. Well Done.(y)

draaiorgel

She's a wee beauty Brenda. (a great buy)
I agree with the others on the age, but in order to keep her original.
I would strongly advise keeping the original drawer pulls on her.
Once the old varnish is removed and a fresh coat applied that wood is really gonna show up.
I'd like to see the finished job too.
175.gif
175.gif
175.gif
175.gif

hoser

Beauty for sure Brenda. But be careful refinishing it. We watch the antiques road show a lot and see old furniture like that, that has been refinished. Before refinishing the value was $10k, after refinishing $5k. There is some stuff on the market that you may want to look into; http://www.komonews.com/news/consumer/Dutch-Glow-Amish-Wood-Milk-Does-it-work-272967911.html
From what I have seen on the tv ad it just does a deep clean not finish restore. In either event it is gonna be spectacular when done. Congrats.

Megagold

Brenda, that is a very pretty piece for sure. I'm like the others, my guess would be early 1900's. My wife is crazy about antiques too, so much that she marred one. Let us see some pic's when you're finished. It doesn't look like it needs much work. Congrat's on a new treasure found. Well Done.(y)
Thank you Kevin.... Maybe just a little touch up on top to preserve the wood... :)

Megagold

She's a wee beauty Brenda. (a great buy)
I agree with the others on the age, but in order to keep her original.
I would strongly advise keeping the original drawer pulls on her.
Once the old varnish is removed and a fresh coat applied that wood is really gonna show up.
I'd like to see the finished job too.
View attachment 89704 View attachment 89704 View attachment 89704 View attachment 89704
Thank you Ian... Yes, she's a beauty and I just love this piece of furniture. I'm going to save her for my grand daughter someday, and until then she is mine to enjoy. I'll definitely keep the brass drawer pulls...thought they were really cool! :)

Megagold

Beauty for sure Brenda. But be careful refinishing it. We watch the antiques road show a lot and see old furniture like that, that has been refinished. Before refinishing the value was $10k, after refinishing $5k. There is some stuff on the market that you may want to look into; http://www.komonews.com/news/consumer/Dutch-Glow-Amish-Wood-Milk-Does-it-work-272967911.html
From what I have seen on the tv ad it just does a deep clean not finish restore. In either event it is gonna be spectacular when done. Congrats.
Thank you hoser...Yes, I'm a little worried about too much restoring but we're just going to do the top.... Thanks for the link...I have seen this product on tv. :)