SO I'LL TAKE A CHANCE AND ASK FOR AN OPINION

against the wind

I moved to Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania, last July.
In September I joined a Treasure Hunting Club. I believe most to be good people but now I'm seeing some things that don't seem Kosher.
The part of the monthly meeting that is most popular is the Monthly Finds Recognition. Although there are no written rules there are some oral agreements. One guideline is that the find being entered is supposed to have been found since the last meeting for it to be eligible for this month's recognition award. Everyone is on the honor system. One member couldn't make the April meeting to enter his find. He had an 1812 Large cent. The winner of April Coin category was a Flying Eagle cent. Had the 1812 large cent been entered, it would have lost to the Flying Eagle Cent. (IMHO).
The March meeting rolls around and the 1812 Large Cent is entered into the Finds Recognition part of the meeting. This coin find is now 2 months old and not eligible.
Although the group has agreed to a month to month policy, this coin is allowed to be entered and wins. That is problem #1
Last month, the president of the club recovered a sterling brooch in the shape of a cat. He entered it in the Artifact tray rather then the Jewelry tray. I believe he did that because the jewelry tray already had a gold ring entered. My instincts were in sync with the opinions of other members. His Sterling cat was fabricated by a company that went out of business in 2016 after 19 years. Although the words Artifact and Relic are synonymous, only the definition of Relic contains a description "of Historical significance " Meanwhile, the 2 other actual artifacts that were entered, a 1925 metal Pennsylvania hunting license, and a mid 40's Caterpillar watch fob were out voted. That is problem #2.
The recognition awards spans 5 categories.
Coin, Jewelry, Toy, Artifact, and Miscellaneous. The winner of each category is then entered into an overall winner vote. The format is set up where the president introduces the finalists one at a time to refresh everyone's memory.
Instead, the coin, a 1911 circulated Barber Quarter is announced and goes to an immediate vote and manages to win the overall honor. None of the other finalists were announced prior to a final vote. There was a 14kt gold wedding band in the Jewelry category . That was problem #3.
Tonight at the monthly club meeting, I asked to submit a set of guidelines so we would have a reference point in the future to avoid these discrepancies again. It went over like a fart in a spacesuit.
The secretary said our month to month agreement wasn't in the minutes and therefore it didn't happen. I was going to give her a NYC wisecrack like I guess Trump isn't the president because that isn't in your minutes either. I didn't do that but I didn't care much for her hostile attitude or smart remarks. The Guidelines issue was tabled until next month's meeting. The secretary made it clear to me that this is more a social club than it is a metal detecting club. They don't need no rules.
Well, I didn't feel too good after the meeting and I am leaning more towards leaving the club.
Now get this. The recognition award for each category is a Mercury Dime. The overall winner gets a Clad Dollar.
Would you sacrifice your honor for a Mercury Dime?

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
I am sorry to say..it sounds more like a social club..if there are rules for these contests..then they should be followed..we had a club down here years ago before I got to Florida..it was quite popular..lots of people.. some folks started to buy things saying that they had found them and entering them in their contests.. this was proven true..thus the club disbanded..I think that there should be a set of rules and they should be followed..and if you are there to pad finds to impress then it's not good..I think you have made up your mind on your club.. maybe you might start your own club. It might go over better than the situation you are dealing with

against the wind

Thanks Chuck,,
Some feelings got hurt last night because some individuals were confronted about their behaviour.
It is to some extent, A Social Club.
The secretary and the treasurer no longer hunt. Some of the older guys are limited due to their age and health. There is a resistance to Change and a real distaste for the word "Rules"
I don't think I will just get up and quit. I enjoy going door knocking with some of the guys but I don't like seeing underhanded "Oversights" at the meetings when it comes to what is supposed to be a friendly competition based on "Honor"
However, I will maintain club member contacts because as I said,, I enjoy their company.
I will search around to try to locate another Treasure Hunting Club in the area. If and when I find one,, I will check out their operating procedures before considering membership.

KRose

Sorry about all the ongoings in the club Windman. It almost sounds as if they should change their name to "The Good Ole' Boy's Club". I personally, didn't cater too much concerning some of the hunt clubs for this same reason. Just like in everything else it seems these days, not everyone is always going to be on the up and up. But on a positive note, you do well enough on your own or with friends....."You don't need no stinkin' club". Lol and you are on the up and up too.(y)

plumbcrazy

As with pretty much everything, it all depends on the integrity of the people involved. Like you said, you don't have much of it if you will give it up for a dime. There will always be "good ole' boys" that think the rules don't apply to them, and add long as everyone else goes along it will continue. I would think that your club, as well as others, all have rules about membership, contests, etc. that were put in place at the club's inception and would have nothing whatsoever to do with the minutes of a meeting. The secretary must be married to one of the good ole' boys. If you, or any of your friends from the club didn't receive a copy of all of the club rules, maybe you should ruffle a few more feathers and ask for a copy.

against the wind

As with pretty much everything, it all depends on the integrity of the people involved. Like you said, you don't have much of it if you will give it up for a dime. There will always be "good ole' boys" that think the rules don't apply to them, and add long as everyone else goes along it will continue. I would think that your club, as well as others, all have rules about membership, contests, etc. that were put in place at the club's inception and would have nothing whatsoever to do with the minutes of a meeting. The secretary must be married to one of the good ole' boys. If you, or any of your friends from the club didn't receive a copy of all of the club rules, maybe you should ruffle a few more feathers and ask for a copy.
Thanks plumb,
My buddy Don and I are the 2 newest members. We have become good friends and hunting partners. Don is the fire chief in Lafayette, Pennsylvania and is a stand up guy. He is relatively new to the hobby and I try to share my experience and offer lots of encouragement. We have had quite a few conversations about club rules but didn't want to stir up the pot because we are new members. When we finally did ask about club rules,, we were told, we don't have rules, we don't need rules, we come here for fun.
With the ongoing discrepancies we both noticed, we asked the club president if we could draft some guidelines to present to the club. It was either that or leave the club. Well, the presentation, which used words like guidelines, to avoid using the word, "Rules" was not well received.
Yes, you are right,, the secretary is married to one of "the good ole boys"

DigsNW

My honor is worth a whole lot more than a merc dime. It sounds as if these guys have been together for a very long time and things will not change and they have accepted the way they know things are going to be done. You probably find more stuff than they do these days and are an outsider so to speak so they figure you either need to go along with what has been done in the past or move on. Probably not so much rules for them as ritual. "Joe" over there always wins the finds recognition no matter what he enters type of thing. You on the other hand were winner at first a couple times just so you would feel like you fit in. It sounds like you already know what you are going to do. This is one of the reasons I don't belong to any organization. I am happy being me and life goes on. It is nice finding people we like with like interests and organizations are a good place to find them but not the only place.
My opinion is that you can stir that pot all you want but will only cause yourself grief and not ever change anything. Good luck finding another Treasure Hunting Club if that is the way you choose to go.

KRose

Windman, some good advice here. Something else just came to my mind (scary, ain't it?) Anyways, you could get all these club members all together and take them out in the middle of nowhere for a good ole' fashioned Snype Hunt. I can just picture it, the Headlines read: Good Ole' Boys taken out for a Good Ole' Fashioned Snype Hunt.

ol' Billy joe shaver sang it well,
There's one in every crowd, for crying out loud
Why was it always turning out to be me ;)
Well maybe it is me,
I don't know for sure
I just wish these guys would be consistent.
If you have a format, follow it. If you agree to certain requirements, dont allow those requirements to be changed at the next meeting. If you are told by almost everyone that your entry is jewelry, don't put it in the Artifact tray. If you're going to be dishonest, don't talk to me like I was born yesterday.
I really dont have any need to be involved in drama and it seems that if I dont go along with their program of "No Rules",, then I am the one who us bringing the drama to the meeting.

DigsNW

I think we all know you are right and they are wrong, question is, do you want to play by their non rules? It sounds like a child's game of sorts where the rules are whatever it takes to get the wanted results at the time.
I wouldn't want to have to deal with that but want to be part of the club if it were ran correctly. It put you in a very awkward position.

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
I think it goes beyond winning a mercury dime. It also involves EGO. The egomaniacs in the crowd want to always have the BEST no matter what. Bend the rules, break the rules, interpret the rules to suit yourself, it doesn't matter as long as they get what they want. I belong to a coin club and it has 5 or 6 guys who also detect. Whenever they've engaged me or the others in conversation it's always about OUTDOING the other guy. When I see these guys at the club I steer clear of them. The way they act makes me think that at a Detecting Club there'd be even more of these types so I have never joined a detecting club.
As for my opinion about the Find Of The Month competition...…...if I were a club member I wouldn't ever enter anything.
I'm in agreement with your feelings about having rules/regulations/guidelines, etc. written so that there is no bending them to suit the powers that be but from what you've written I think your fighting an uphill if not losing battle. Go to the meetings, make friends, maybe meet some hunt partners, and go from there.

Last edited:

KRose

I think it goes beyond winning a mercury dime. It also involves EGO. The egomaniacs in the crowd want to always have the BEST no matter what. Bend the rules, break the rules, interpret the rules to suit yourself, it doesn't matter as long as they get what they want. I belong to a coin club and it has 5 or 6 guys who also detect. Whenever they've engaged me or the others in conversation it's always about OUTDOING the other guy. When I see these guys at the club I steer clear of them. The way they act makes me think that at a Detecting Club there'd be even more of these types so I have never joined a detecting club.
As for my opinion about the Find Of The Month competition...…...if I were a club member I wouldn't ever enter anything.
I'm in agreement with your feelings about having rules/regulations/guidelines, etc. written so that there is no bending them to suit the powers that be but from what you've written I think your fighting an uphill if not losing battle. Go to the meetings, make friends, maybe meet some hunt partners, and go from there.
I have personally always felt that the rules and laws of man are for Everyone or for No one. As far as outdoing you Sojo on a coin hunt, one would have to rob the silver mint.

You know, for a group of people who are opposed to any kind of documented rules, why is it they PAY for a set of rules that many are not aware of? Every member pays $15 in annual club dues. Five dollars out of that $15 goes to The Federation of Metal Detecting and Archeologists Clubs. There are Bylaws and a Code of Ethics that the FMDAC requires everyone to follow. I guess nobody ever told these club members about those rules.
The silence of many of the club members after the proposal of the new club guidelines,, kind of tells me that they are willing to accept dishonest behaviour. If that is the case, then why would I want to be a member of a club where other members think it is okay to cheat?

Digging Fool

Sounds like too many Chiefs and not enough Indians, as the old saying goes. Years ago, I would probably never join a detecting club, because I had so many places to hunt, but nowadays, if the club would open-up some new ground to dig, your benefit may come in that form, but you may have to "watch your back"...:)