Square nail in a tree, a good sign, correct ?

sandfisher

I went back to the park today where I found the 1881 penny. Same grove of trees.
One tree about 40 yards from where I found the 1881 penny I noticed a square nail in a tree. About shoulder high.
Now, with everything I have read over the years in many books about treasure hunting stories, and I've read a heck alot of these stories, this is a good sign. Many of the comments on these stories is to look for signs on trees. Whether is be a mark or nail or something else.
I covered the area and didn't find much, but I have much more hunting to do in this area.
What do you all think about the sqaure nail what sign does it give?
Possibly this is an exact spot where someone slept in a camp? By the type of nail, 1800's ?
Should I leave the nail in tree? I could remove it without hurting the tree.

sandfisher

Attachments

bigd

The nail,, if placed in the tree in the late 1800's or early 1900's,, would be much higher in the trunk than shoulder height. I found a site that sells masonry nails that appear similar to the one in the tree.
www.bizrice.com. just saying:cool:
It should stay at the height it was put in. The tree would get thicker, but I think a tree grows from the terminal buds, so the nail would stay at about the same height it was put in.

sandfisher

It should stay at the height it was put in. The tree would get thicker, but I think a tree grows from the terminal buds, so the nail would stay at about the same height it was put in.
bigd
I just looked it up on a few sites and your 100% right. So the nail would remain the same over years, no matter how tall the tree grows.
Now I just need to research the nail and figure its' age.
I might leave the nail in. But I am also working on a map of this area so I can have a nice record of what I find.
Thank you,

sandfisher

against the wind

Iini should stay at the height it was put in. The tree would get thicker, but I think a tree grows from the terminal buds, so the nail would stay at about the same height it was put in.
You may be right bigd,, but I have spotted initials in a heart, that were pretty high in a tree. They showed signs of age but of course there was no way of telling when it had been carved. I assumed they were carved when that area of the tree was lower to the ground. just saying:cool:

Last edited:

sandfisher

Try metal detecting the direction of the butt of the nail. if nothing found go the other way the nail tip points.
I have before I found the nail. Coincidentally. Opposite of the butt is where I found the 1881 penny.
In the direction of the butt at the edge of the grove of trees in a 12 foot radius I found 16 quarters, 4 keys, 2 buttons( I don't think very old), a blue glass bead, lots of pennies, nickels and dimes, 3 game tokens(modern).
And I'm finding lots of change all over that area. Including the belt buckle.
Including a pile of pieces of metal that shows up on my detector as a quarter or dime. They look like smashed pieces of metal. If any one is interested in pics of these I will post.

sandfisher

sandfisher

post your pics when you can. How much depth can you get out of your detector, or how deep can it detect. You may have something deeper your detector may miss,..!
quarters - 15
game token -2
pennies -71
nickels -9
dimes -13
Indian head Penny 1881 -1
Plus all the other items below. 3 gas caps. Alot of the odd shaped items that mostly show as lead.
2 buttons. the red one and one had an eagle on it. I thought the eagle button was probably from a pair of jeans. But I started thinking about it and figured I should look closer. One never knows? But I set it down somewhere and now I can't find it. It's here. Just have to find where I set it down.
Mostly alot of junk. But I feel there is some good stuff. The park is old and alot of history here.
The large square plate was about 18 inches down. A large target.
Not sure how deep the detector can go. Has never really been tested, but it will be in this area.
I'm using a White's Eagle Spectrum.
The Easter Egg? It was a few inches under and had 2 quarters in it.

sandfisher

Attachments

Rob1960

Leave it in the tree. Square nails are still being made for a few applications today. Although the nail may stay at the same height it was driven in at, over time the tree will get fatter and completly engulf the nail. What kind of tree is it? Bark looks like a silver maple which grows fairly fast, so a large one won't be to old to start with. Hope you find some treasure any how.

sandfisher

Leave it in the tree. Square nails are still being made for a few applications today. Although the nail may stay at the same height it was driven in at, over time the tree will get fatter and completly engulf the nail. What kind of tree is it? Bark looks like a silver maple which grows fairly fast, so a large one won't be to old to start with. Hope you find some treasure any how.
Not sure what kind of tree it is. But it isn't real thick. To me it looks like the nail has been there for some time.
I'll take a picture of the tree itself when I go out tomorrow.

sandfisher