Talk me into one!

fyrffytr1

I am trying to justify the purchase of the XP with the full size wireless headphones but I need help! Right now I don't even have a decent place to hunt and if I did my back and neck problems prevent me from swinging my DFX for more than an hour without taking a break.
I do have some old sites that have been pretty well picked over by three of us and a few leads for new sites that may or may not pan out.
So, convince me that I need to spend over $1,500 for a new detector!

KRose

FF1, Follow your heart and your own intuition. You know your own self and all situations concerning yourself. You only live once, so I know either way you will make the right decision that will best suit you. Keep us informed if you will on what you decide and Best of Luck to you.

plumbcrazy

I don't know what you are using now, but the weight of the Deus was a big factor for me. I was swinging an mxt and it just got to the point where my arm felt like it was going to fall off. Now, I normally hunt between 4-8 hrs when I go, so that extra weight kinda would get to me. Aside from that, it has features that I never had on any of my previous detectors, such as a clock and backlight. It comes with 10 preset programs, so it can be pretty much a turn on and go detector. One last thing I'll mention is that it can be updated for no additional charge whenever updates are available. So, if you like the Deus, you wouldn't need to worry about it being outdated. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision.

fyrffytr1

I don't know what you are using now, but the weight of the Deus was a big factor for me. I was swinging an mxt and it just got to the point where my arm felt like it was going to fall off. Now, I normally hunt between 4-8 hrs when I go, so that extra weight kinda would get to me. Aside from that, it has features that I never had on any of my previous detectors, such as a clock and backlight. It comes with 10 preset programs, so it can be pretty much a turn on and go detector. One last thing I'll mention is that it can be updated for no additional charge whenever updates are available. So, if you like the Deus, you wouldn't need to worry about it being outdated. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision.
I am currently using a White's DFX with a 9" coil. Swinging it gets me in the neck and shoulders. The one good thing about it is that I have slowed down my search pattern and have found a few items that were missed on earlier hunts. I have used Whites for over 40 years now and really like them but I have heard so much about the Deus that I have to consider it. I can afford it but it would put a dent in my hobby fund. I am saving up to have my GTO repainted.

plumbcrazy

I am currently using a White's DFX with a 9" coil. Swinging it gets me in the neck and shoulders. The one good thing about it is that I have slowed down my search pattern and have found a few items that were missed on earlier hunts. I have used Whites for over 40 years now and really like them but I have heard so much about the Deus that I have to consider it. I can afford it but it would put a dent in my hobby fund. I am saving up to have my GTO repainted.
I know what you mean fyrffytr, I had been swinging White's detectors exclusively since 1970 until I purchased the Deus about a year and a half ago.

against the wind

I was going to bring up budget but you already covered that. Ron at Windy City can probably throw in a few bonus items that you can actually use, while staying within the $1,500. budget.
After being a faithful Garrett guy for over 25 years, I purchased a few Minelabs.
(E-Trac and Excalibur)
Then came the CTX 3030. My silver finds increased dramatically after my Minelab purchases.

Then came the DEUS. If a Minelab can find silver in a hunted out park,, then so can the DEUS. There is also the 4 Frequencies that the featherweight machine can perform in.
I had to adjust to the unconventional depth meter and the steel bottle cap problem. It doesn't take that much to figure those obstacles out.
I think you will enjoy it, especially if you are focused on relic hunting.

mtbricky

Since I just talked myself into buying one last week I should chime in. I did a lot of research beforehand, and although I haven't scratched the surface yet as far as using it's features, I can say these things about it. The weight and physical ease of use along with the portability of how it easily collapses for transport or storage is fantastic, especially if you have back problems - it's like swinging a feather compared to any other MD I've used. The cordless feature really set's you free. There is always a learning curve, but with all it's features, the interface is very easy to figure out and straight forward (though I'm not quite sure what to put in there yet). It is all purpose except underwater. The XP Deus is at the forefront in the line of the new generation detectors and because it is upgradable, I expect it will be the last detector I will ever need to stay current. If you expect to spend any significant time detecting, I think the Deus is a can't miss option! (IMO)

mtbricky

I don't know Homefire. The prospect of sending the coil in for repair or battery replacement is not a great one. But I think XP will fix the problem with the charging contacts if they haven't already, and being totally free of wires is worth it to me. You can fold that thing up in seconds and go. You can stand it in a corner upright in the collapsed position and it doesn't have to hang on anything or lean on anything or be taken apart. User can change the batteries in the wireless headphones and the control unit. I hope I don't have to eat my words, but I think it's worth it.

teamroper

You all have stated some great facts so I'll put my little two cents in here. I was fortunate enough that when I bought my XP I had someone with me all the time to help me understand it. Long story is this. I have an MXT that sits in my office and hasn't been used by me in about a year. I take my XP EVERY time I go out, BUT I'm just relic hunting now. ATW has stated a few drawbacks about silver hunting with the XP. I use mine for everything now and don't plan on changing anytime soon. I have found rings, silver and a bunch of CW relics with it. Now let's talk about the weight. I can swing it ALL day. If weight is any kind of issue I would get the XP and learn how to use it. There are a bunch of programs on there that you can customize yourself to fit your needs. Yes, it's expensive but if I loved to MD and my back was an issue I'd still get the XP and hunt until the cows came home. Just my two cents. I wish you the best. ;)

fyrffytr1

OK. I have just about made up my mind to start thinking about getting ready to make the plunge!:D I have a question before that I hope Y'all will help me with. I have actually contacted a few dealers and have narrowed my choice down to two. I am looking at the WS5 headphones, remote unit and 11"coil. One dealer in my home state has a demo that has only been used in the store to show folks how it works. It has never been used outside and still has the full 5 year warranty. I can get it for a very reasonable amount but would have to pay sales tax. A friend is going to the city where the shop is located and would bring it back to me so there would be no shipping.
But, for $75.00 dollars more I can get a never been used one. It would come from out of state so there would be no tax and it would ship free. I could tell Y'all the price if that make a difference but both are at least 7% under list price.

teamroper

Six one way, half dozen the other. The only thing I can think of is if they had different size coils. I have the 9" one and when I mentioned to a friend that I was thinking about the 11" coil his response was "Really, you want to dig that deep". Anyway I'm happy with what I've got and I'm sure you will no matter what you get so go have fun and we'll be watching for your posts.

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
Either one will work..the warranty is good so no worries..the 9 inch coil does well..am pulling coins around 8 or so inches. You will like the machine for sure...very light for sure..
Chuck

against the wind

OK. I have just about made up my mind to start thinking about getting ready to make the plunge!:D I have a question before that I hope Y'all will help me with. I have actually contacted a few dealers and have narrowed my choice down to two. I am looking at the WS5 headphones, remote unit and 11"coil. One dealer in my home state has a demo that has only been used in the store to show folks how it works. It has never been used outside and still has the full 5 year warranty. I can get it for a very reasonable amount but would have to pay sales tax. A friend is going to the city where the shop is located and would bring it back to me so there would be no shipping.
But, for $75.00 dollars more I can get a never been used one. It would come from out of state so there would be no tax and it would ship free. I could tell Y'all the price if that make a difference but both are at least 7% under list price.
You didn't mention who you may buy it from. I purchased mine from Windy City Metal Detectors. Ron has retired but is still selling detectors from his home. He.gave me a good deal and threw in a few extras. I got the 9 inch coil, WS5 headphones, and remote. Of course, because he is located in Chicago, there is no tax or shipping charges.
I have purchased a few high end machines from him including a CTX and my new Excalibur. It can't hurt to call and tell him that Kevin "O" from NYC recommended him. I'm sure he can at least match your best price and throw in a few extras like a hat and books.
Andy Sabisch has a great book on the DEUS.
Good luck.

fyrffytr1

Something told me to hold off ordering the XP until I went to my orthopedic doctor today and now I know why. Seems like all the injections and nerve ablations I have gone through didn't work like expected. I have to take some medications for a month then go back and talk about cervical surgery! If it comes to that I won't be able to do anything for 4-6 weeks. So, as much as I want to get one I am going to hold off for at least a month. Thanks for all the replies.

fyrffytr1

I went to see the orthopedic surgeon today and, long story short, I won't be getting a Deus anytime soon. We are talking about fusing four vertebrae i my neck and three to five in my lower back once I recover from the neck surgery. I have to go back for MRI's as soon as Worker's Comp OKs them. Then we will decide on a definite course of action.

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
I went to see the orthopedic surgeon today and, long story short, I won't be getting a Deus anytime soon. We are talking about fusing four vertebrae i my neck and three to five in my lower back once I recover from the neck surgery. I have to go back for MRI's as soon as Worker's Comp OKs them. Then we will decide on a definite course of action.
Hang in there..
Chuck