The Darrow House 1743

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
IMG_0638.JPG This is a picture of the Darrow house, located in Norwich, Conn. the town I was born and raised in. The house was built in 1743 and is located in what is considered the historical section of the town. There are many other old houses that are located nearby that date back to the early 1700's. After researching this house I found out that one of the descendants of the Darrows was famed trial lawyer Clarence Darrow. Darrow was well known for representing the defense in the famous 1925 "Monkey Trial" in Dayton Tennessee. The person he defended was a school teacher named Scopes who was charged with teaching evolution. Representing the prosecution was William Jennings Bryan who unsuccessfully ran for president in the late 1800's. Darrow also was involved in what was labeled "The Trial Of The Century" when he defended two teenage boys, Leopold and Loeb, who were accused of kidnapping and then killing a 14 year old boy named Bobby Franks. The two accused eventually pleaded guilty.

Last edited:

KRose

View attachment 103829 This is a picture of the Darrow house, located in Norwich, Conn. the town I was born and raised in. The house was built in 1743 and is located in what is considered the historical section of the town. There are many other old houses are located nearby that date back to the early 1700's. After researching this house I found out that one of the descendants of the Darrows was famed trial lawyer Clarence Darrow. Darrow was well known for representing the defense in the famous 1925 "Monkey Trial" in Dayton Tennessee. The person he defended was a school teacher named Scopes who was charged with teaching evolution. Representing the prosecution was William Jennings Bryan who unsuccessfully ran for president in the late 1800's. Darrow also was involved in what was labeled "The Trial Of The Century" when he defended two teenage boys, Leopold and Loeb, who were accused of kidnapping and then killing a 14 year old boy named Bobby Franks. The two accused eventually pleaded guilty.
Great History lesson Sojo. I enjoy hearing the History of some of these old Historic towns and places. I remember the murder and the trial of the young boy, Bobby Franks, or reading about this terrible murder. There was also a movie made on this terrible crime. In the movie the two teenage killers, Leopold and Loeb decided to kidnap and kill this young boy in an attempt to commit the perfect crime and murder. These two young men were portrayed as being bright and intellectual with promising futures ahead of them. They thought that they were smarter than the police and the investigators. They were wrong. The movie was an Alfred Hitchcock movie called Compulsion. It was a good movie.

Last edited:

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
Great History lesson Sojo. I enjoy hearing the History of some of these old Historic towns and places. I remember the murder and the trial of the young boy, Bobby Franks, or reading about this terrible murder. There was also a movie made on this terrible crime. In the movie the two teenage killers, Leopold and Loeb decided to kidnap and kill this young boy in an attempt to commit the perfect crime and murder. These two young men were portrayed as being bright and intellectual with promising futures ahead of them. They thought that they were smarter than the police and the investigators. They were wrong. The movie was an Alfred Hitchcock movie called Compulsion. It was a good movie.
I haven't seen the Hitchcock movie but I've watched shows about Leopold and Loeb on PBS or History, I can't remember which. As for movies.....The movie starring Spencer Tracy called "Inherit The Wind" was loosely based on the Scopes trial but a lot of it was fictionalized by Hollywood. Off the subject a bit...…...there was a movie produced by Clint Eastwood called "The Changeling" which was based on the "Chicken Coop Murders" that took place in California in the 1920's. Another top notch movie from Clint Eastwood.

KRose

I haven't seen the Hitchcock movie but I've watched shows about Leopold and Loeb on PBS or History, I can't remember which. As for movies.....The movie starring Spencer Tracy called "Inherit The Wind" was loosely based on the Scopes trial but a lot of it was fictionalized by Hollywood. Off the subject a bit...…...there was a movie produced by Clint Eastwood called "The Changeling" which was based on the "Chicken Coop Murders" that took place in California in the 1920's. Another top notch movie from Clint Eastwood.
if you get the chance try to see the Hitchcock movie Compulsion. It's an oldie, but I think you'd like it. This was true Hitchcock fashion.