The Revolutionary War Office

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
DSCN1619.JPG DSCN1618.JPG DSCN1625.JPG DSCN1626.JPG DSCN1627.JPG DSCN1624.JPG DSCN1622.JPG DSCN1623.JPG DSCN1620.JPG DSCN1628.JPG DSCN1631.JPG DSCN1629.JPG DSCN1633.JPG DSCN1634.JPG DSCN1636.JPG DSCN1637.JPG DSCN1638.JPG DSCN1635.JPG I took a short detour on my way to work today to the town of Lebanon, Conn. The town has history that dates back to (and before) the Revolutionary War. The first house in the pics is the home of Jonathon Trumbull, the Royal Governor of Connecticut during the war and the only Royal governor of all the 13 colonies to side with the Patriot cause. Next is the birthplace of William Williams who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The bluish grey house is Williams' house that he spent his life in. Next is a red building that was originally a store opened in 1727 but during the war served as the "War Office". Here, George Washington met many times with other patriots including Lafayette, Israel Putnam, Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson and others to discuss and plan the battle strategies to fight the British. The village green is shown and was used by French troops under Rochambeau as a campsite while they were on their way to Yorktown. Less than a mile from the green is the Trumbull Cemetery where William Williams is buried along with some Revolutionary War veterans. Williams gravestone is hard to read due to wear and tear through the years. Notice that the sign prohibits metal detecting. Ditto for the town green due to its historical importance. The houses and War Office all surround the green.

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
Any pics of the Baltic area?
Used to be an old Mill there
Though I lived in Baltic in the 1970's and 1980's I have no pictures. There was a mill there but it was destroyed by fire a number of years ago. There is only a shell of the building still standing. How do you know about Baltic? Are you originally from Connecticut?

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
I was born in Willamantic
My mother's side was from CT and RI
Most of my mom side is buried in St Mary's cemetery
Willimantic is going downhill in a hurry. There are a lot of vacant store fronts in town where businesses used to be, and the Jillson Square Cinema went out of business some years ago. Some of the businesses that are in the downtown are of the "questionable" variety. There is a nice restaurant in town though, called Willimantic Brewing Company which is located in what used to be the old post office.