The Spanish Treasure Cave: Joplin Missouri

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yankee495, Jun 15, 2011.

1. yankee495

yankee495 Member

Just Looking for this cave:

I have been hunting for a cave south of Joplin Missouri. You park on the side of the road on a curve and walk about 1/4 of a mile into the woods. I was there about 30 years ago. It goes straight down about 50-60 feet like a well then opens up into a large cavern where you can walk about 1/4 mile before you have to crawl on your belly through a space about two feet tall for about 15 feet.

Once you get through this you can walk another 1/4 of a mile or so.

I have googled it coming up with nothing even close.

If anyone knows where it is please post it. I think I might be able to find the guys that showed it to me, if so I'll post it after locating it.

Part two: The Spanish Treasure Cave

There is also a a place called "Mother Nature's Crack". It is a tall cliff with a large crack you walk (climb) down through to get to the bottom. At the bottom go right (south) along the bank of the river for about 1-2 blocks and you'll come to the cave. I can find this one. Here is a video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B7hK50QggQ

Ok, the treasure part. See this link:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=102282.0

These guys are not from around here and they apparently don't know where the cave in the video is. They are looking for "Cave River" from 1772.

Indians named things after stuff that was there, as in "White Top Mountain". It seems to me "Cave River" would be a river with a cave by it, or a River running into, through or out of a cave.

This is the only cave, next to a river south of Joplin I know of. They say "Spanish armored breast plates, helmets, swords, spurs, and other gear have been found around the old marshes that were near where I-44 runs through Joplin now years and years ago. Not a lot of pieces mind you but, enough for you to know that they had been here and had left in a hurry as under duress."

In FACT, you have to drive under I-44 on the way up the hill the cave is under! If this is cave river then this would all be true.

Other errors misleading them:

1. It is not Berry County, it is Barry County.
    2. Barry County is not South of Joplin, Newton County is.
    3. The cave is not in Barry County (correct spelling), it is in Newton County.

Some points to ponder:

There have been Spanish artifacts recovered within 1/2 mile of "this cave"! There has been none found in the other possible areas.

There may be no "Spanish Treasure", but I know for a fact that if I were an Indian I would use this bluff as a lookout and still be able to get to the river below easily.

If the Indians got the gold, where would they put it?

This area is very rocky and people have been going there for years (Modern time). It would be very hard to bury a golf ball let alone a "wagon" or even a beer cooler.

There are tons of places to stash stuff! And we are not talking a "wagon loaded 5 feet high with gold" like in the movies, they will not support the weight. Each wagon could only carry maybe 1000 Lbs. of gold.

Of course, as with all Legends one wagon turns into two, then three and next thing you know it was really a freight train loaded with 100 million Lbs!!!

But it could have been quit considerable if you take this into account:

From 1492 when Columbus "Discovered America" to 1772 is 280 years the Spaniards had to rob and plunder in this area and westward (which is what they did everywhere they went) without much interference from anyone but the Indians. Columbus did not discover America, he "Invaded it"!!!

None of what I have read tells what direction they were traveling but it would be my guess that they would've been returning from the southwest with their loot and traveled the flat lands of northern Oklahoma and had to ford the river somewhere. NOTE: You have to cross a low water bridge in the valley before you cross under I-44 and go up the hill. Very likely they forded the river near here.

As I said, there maybe no gold but in my opinion a guy poking around might find some cool stuff that may even be worth something. You would have to see the place to see what a paradise it would've been for an Indian village which is one more reason to think this may be where the Indians killed all the Spaniards for invading their "Village" which was really several thousand that they were surrounded by and didn't know it!

And I am sure a caravan of Spaniards wearing helmets and breast plates would have been taken as a threat without any need for a reason! Just looking the way they did and their number would have been enough reason to attack them.

I do not believe the gold is in the cave, but if it exist, it might be in this area.

Megagold likes this.
  2. westgateblvd

westgateblvd Well-Known Member

Janitor
    Maybe you could check out overlay maps of the area at a Historical Society for that area. i would look for the oldest maps I could find. Also see if they have any old pictures of the area, or someone there may be able to tell you where you might be able to find the information you are looking for.. Just a thought.. Al

3. majakldragon

majakldragon Well Known Member Staff Member

Find an old thyme barber shop and ask the old men in there. The older generation is a wealth of information.

4. yankee495

yankee495 Member

And you know? We still have one of those. Might even be one in Joplin...

5. majakldragon

majakldragon Well Known Member Staff Member

Go in for a trim and strike up a conversation. You may even make some new friends, whatcha got to loose?

6. westgateblvd

westgateblvd Well-Known Member

Janitor
    Also check out retirement homes. The people there are always happy to talk to someone. A few of them may even know just where you need to go.. I have talked to many in my area, and found leads to old homesteds that are no longer there. Also old schools that I never knew exsisted. good Luck.. Al

7. warsawdaddy

warsawdaddy Active Member

Retired
    I can't help other to say that I have been told of a cave(tunnel) that supposedly ran from south Joplin to the Pierce City area and was used by the KKK.So much mining went on in the Joplin area there probably is a lot of undermine areas around there.

8. liesreality

liesreality New Member

I know its an older post, but i have some information on spanish cave, along with some other caves. Let me know if your still interested.

9. Looking For Answers

Looking For Answers Well-Known Member

Unemployed
  10. against the wind

against the wind Well-Known Member

"Lost Treasure Detective"
    WOW ,, THAT WAS COOL,, I HAVE SOME FRIENDS IN SPRINGFIELD WHICH IS NOT THAT FAR FROM JOPLIN,,, MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE A RIDE OVER THERE,, NEXT TIME I VISIT.

11. pennystock

pennystock Well-Known Member

if ya make it to Joplin, take some pics.....it is also famous for the tornado that hit it on may 22, 2011 that killed 158 people making it the deadliest tornado in u.s modern times.........the hospital took a direct hit.

12. hoser

hoser Well-Known Member

Officially RETIRED!!! I ain't fixin nuttin.
    Sure would be cool to find it again. Good luck to ya.

13. against the wind

against the wind Well-Known Member

"Lost Treasure Detective"
    Yes,, I know, my friend that retired to Springfield with his family, was an NYPD detective and is now a deputy sheriff, ( Just can't leave the badge alone). When President Obama went to Joplin, after the tornado, my friend was part of the security detail. He was impressed with how everyone pulled together and helped one another. He said it reminded him of 911.

14. pennystock

pennystock Well-Known Member

pics, pics, dont forget the pics...............just saying