Things found ON (not IN) the ground!!

Discussion in 'The Best of Treasure Quest' started by westattam, Aug 25, 2007.

1. westattam

westattam Member

I thought a fun new thread would be to hear about everyone's finds that they came across ON TOP of the ground while detecting!One thing I noticed right away when starting this hobby, is the large amount of coins and other things on the surface, just laying on the grass. I guess I never noticed this stuff until I started detecting and actually LOOKING at the ground. I recently found two Canadian "Toonies" and two "Loonies" this way. I also found four quarters, laying neatly in a stack in the grass at a local high school field. Strange, but true non the less.I'd love to hear everyone's 'best finds' that were found "just laying there" while out detecting.H.H !!

cupajo likes this.
  2. EPC Guy

EPC Guy TQ Ambassador

Writer, Consultant, Speaker, and Pirate
    I haven't found anything really unusual on the surface - but since I've been using my machine more consistently...my wife and I have been having a running competition on who can find the most clad when taking walks, walking the dog, etc. The parking lot around our complex gives up numerous coins every day to my wife...

Good idea for this thread!:bthumb:

cupajo likes this.
  3. cntrydncr1

cntrydncr1 Well-Known Member

I'm starting a collection of stretchy bracelets that I've found on the ground while metal detecting. So far I have 3 nice ones that I actually wear!

cupajo and Orosurf like this.
  4. Harry(PA)

Harry(PA) Member

I have found a 14K gold necklace on the grass under a tree.
    I also found a ' pot pipe ' on a campus. it still hadsome good stuff in it.harry(PA) :coffeecup

5. boobieinPa

boobieinPa Guest

A few years ago while I was walking downtown on the main street. I found a cloth sack
    (about 7" tall and 5 or 6 inches wide)
    with a zippered top on it. I opened it up and it was filled nearly to the top with nickels / dimes & quarters.
    I knew right away what it was so I took it to the police station.
    The meter maid was doing her rounds and got talking to someone and just walked away and forgot to pick it up.
    When I got to the station I sure enjoyed seeing the look on her face when I handed it to her, as she was getting ready to tell the captain about it.

6. Kentfb

Kentfb Active Member

Oil industry
    Golf balls.:redface:

Orosurf likes this.
  7. Brains

Brains Member

none what so ever
    golf balls eh? No matter how far out the railroads i hunt are on i allways find them. I didnt find it wile detecting but the insulator i found from 1876 was found onthe ground, t think that that must have sat there for about 100 years before i came by and being right in the middle of a large city it would seem that someone out drinking (i allways find tons of beer bottles on tracks) would have stumbled across it. Nope, but the weirdest thing i have found metal related was a pully that i think was used to string the wire for the old phone line across. Unfortunatly, it now lies in the city dump somewhere... On a side note wile not found on the ground my uncle Joe found all sorts of weird stuff diggin holes for somthin, dont remember exactly what his occupation was but he found all sorts of bottle dumps, random junk, and even railroad cars burried in the ground. Theres some weird stuff down there, he recalls there beig a housing devolpment built on top of more glass than dirt, weird stuff. Sorta like the houses built on the old corning glass works dumping grounds. Neighbor dug up all sorts of random metal wile making holes for his fence, hmmmm.

Orosurf likes this.
  8. CloudNine

CloudNine New Member

Disabled Vietnam Vet
    I was detecting on the beach last year in the surf,when I came across a lot of shells.In those shells was a old pipe for smoking tobacco.It is made of some type of bone,the aqurium personel said its probaly whale bone.It is white in color.:cool:

9. julieburger

julieburger Guest

It was before I started detecting, I had lost my engagement ring and I scanned the ground everyday. About 6 months later there it was stone up on the ground, right beside the front path.

10. MinelabMan

MinelabMan Active Member

I found a $5 bill once in the gutter on my way into the local tackle shop. Inside 2 kids were reaching into their pockets looking confused. When one asked the other if he had the $5. That's when I pulled it out and told them where I found it. The owner wouldn't let me pay for my bucktails that day!

cupajo, Orosurf and mdpartner like this.
  11. dave

dave Guest

dave in iowa

There was or is still a guy on the site that found 130 ten dollar bills wrapped in a band on the side of the road last year , anyone remember him ?:smile: when i was a kid, i was waiting for a bus to go to school and in the hollow part of a huge tree on our street i found a 20 dollar bill .

12. UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72 New Member

One day i decided to walk home from work,my apartment was about a mile and a half from work.Almost home on a busy street in the distance i spotted something along the side of the road as i got closer it appeared to be a pellet gun,i bend down and pick it up and it seemed quite hefty and to my suprise it was a 9mm semi auto hand gun which had one round jammed in it and 7 more in the clip. the pistol was a 9 shot and i imagine someone fired the 1st round and the second got jammed sideways and they just tossed it out the car window.

Orosurf likes this.
  13. LeoinPA

LeoinPA Member

What's That????
    Found

Hey everyone :wave:

Last summer my dog woke me up for my morning walk. In the middle of the street about 75Ft from the garage door looked like a long snake :yikes:. Freaked me out. I don't like them . Fortunately it was a binder chain from a truck about 5Ft long with the heavy links and a hook. I was relieved it wasn't a cobra :oops:. The dog just laughed at me :lol:. Smart dog. :rofl:

Leo

Orosurf likes this.
  14. toye026

toye026 Member

take care of person with CP
    That is where most of my finds come from. I have found a roll of dimes, hundreds of pennies, $20 bill, a few $1, a 14k cross charm, many many more things. KKfry always says I have hawk eyes. I even once found a blank money order for 300 bucks. I had it traced and returned it. It was someones rent money.

cupajo, Orosurf and mdpartner like this.
  15. pris

pris Active Member

Corporate Mumbo Jumbo
    Did you turn it into the cops? If it were me, I'd have gotten all CSI with it and pick it up with a pen or only with gloves. Maybe it was involved in a crime!! :yikes:
    Scary find...

16. BlackRider

BlackRider New Member

Man, I don't even know where to start on this one.

My parents and I picked my grandmother up at the airport and I found a wallet with $300, ID's, and credit cards in it. We sent it back to the person and never received any thanks for it.

Was walking on the beach in Ocean City and found a $20 bill and $5 bill crumpled together blowing down the beach in the wind, another time found a $5 blowing around.

Found $20 bill under a table at a restaurant

Found a $5 and a $1 floating in the ocean

Found a waterproof divers watch buried in the sand in about a foot of water, still working, and I still have the watch.

Found a mens diamond ring in an alleyway, gold with seven small diamonds in it. I still have it, but the former owners finger was HUGE, and the thing slides right off my THUMB.

Found a plain-jane wedding band, but can't quite tell if its a valuable metal.

I CONSTANTLY find change wherever I go, and about a month ago I bought a sub at quiznos, and in my change was a 1963 silver quarter.

There's more, but thats all I can recall at the moment. :biggrin:

17. portraitartist

portraitartist Member

The absolute BEST Barber dime I've ever found was an eyeball-find... sitting right on top of the ground on some razed lots... man, do I love hunting those lots!

18. EBCIII

EBCIII Well-Known Member

NA
    Capron Va. We roll the Sidewalks up at 17:00
    I have found a $20 bill and some change. The bill was cool but my best find ever was an old perfect Arrowhead. Me and my dad used to hunt them. I found one just sitting next to a rock, I still remember it and I was like 10-13, Beale.

cupajo, Orosurf and diggin brains like this.
  19. Zman

Zman Active Member

Business Analyst
    When I was young I found this big cast iron Amish guy. Ive never seen another like it, cleaned up nice and still have it. However, it doesn't even come close to what everyone else has found. The gun thing was a bit freaky I have to say.

20. UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72 New Member

LMAO all CSI:grin:....no gloves....no pen here...just picked it up and put it in my bag....the police dept. here has an amnesty program once a year,bring in any fire arm no questions asked plus they pay you to turn them in for destruction..so i waited till that day turned it in...they paid me $100 dollars,been more than 5 yrs. since and heard notta thing to this day.
    .......LETS GO METS.......

Orosurf likes this.