Thoughts about the CZ3D with pics.....

I'm very impressed with the CZ3D the Nasa Tom helped develop. I use to have a CZ5 & sold it very quickly after realizing the IH's, & other early American small silver came in on mid-tones.
Not this baby...... Also, I take pretty good pride & pinpointing targets to avoid lot's of useless digging. I don't get 'em right all the time, but, I've noticed when the target is in the plug or straight down in the ground..it's almost always a good target. See the flat spot ( near the top ) in the pic below:

When it's in the plug or straight down, I get excited. When I have to put the bullseye in the side of the hole to find the target, it's almost always a large nail. I have found more nails than coins using the bullseye pinpointer. The CZ3D is deadly accurate in pinpointing once you catch on how to use it. You can "detune" it by depressing the pinpointing button as you scan targets. I narrows the signal down to a point where pinpointing is abreeze. Getting use to the nail hits ( it gives double/scratchy high tone signals ) does take a little time, however, I grew up from the ol' school & don't mind digging a few nails if I believe it's a good signal.

I read on the forums elsewhere where detectorist are hitting coins at 10"-12" depths with the CZ3D. Well, that maybe true but I've not found any that deep. In my opinion....90% of targets found where I hunt are 6" or less. I live in a area that's 175-200+ years old. I spend almost all my 29 years detecting time in private yards & I have a problem retrieving targets deeper than 6-7" depths. I can't imagine how others are retrieving coins at 10-12" depths in yards. Have you ever dug a 12" deep hole in a front yard? That's pretty deep my friends. I'd rather dig 6" deep or less targets all day & keep permission to continue detecting there.....

OK, back to the CZ....
Here's another example of a wheatie in the plug...it was only about 3" down & the CZ literally blast me out of the headphones when I heard it. See it in the pic below: ( Towards the middle right )

Love seeing that needle pointed to the right in the pic below:

Here's all the targets found in about 3 hours in the site below......by keeping the disc low, setting sensitivity to 7 and volume at 8. I always use the enhanced mode for private yards. I don't use the salt mode at all. The salt mode would be a neat feature if I take this detector to the shallow waters, but I have a water detector for that.

I've found silver at the site below, but none on this trip.....and that's with finding 22 wheaties and one 1881 IH ( it came in as high tone ) there....
Most of the targets came from the left side of the yard below:

Place is sitting on a rock foundation, so I'm guessing it's built around 1900. Later on that day....I stopped by an area where a sidewalk has been torn out in an town that's been around for 200+ years. The dirt was thrown upon the bank near the rock sidewalk.
Here's what the place looked like:

This is what screamed at me within the 1st three minutes:

WOW!! That's the 1st capped bust half dime I've found since Sept 1991 & it's a beauty! It rang in on high tone, something I'm not sure would have happened with the CZ5. So...I'm pleased with this detector & now use it exclusively when coinhunting. It's a killer detector for older U.S coins which is what I love to search for.
If you're interested in an analog detector, the CZ3D could be a wise choice in a detector.

Good luck hunting...........see ya yardhunter

EBCIII

I have read very good things about the CZ3's. Glad it does the work for you. I like reading about other detectors being used, Beale.

Leon

Digital Camera Moderator
Hello yardhunter,,,
I've used the Cz3D for a little over (5) years now and I'd have to say your opinion, or review, on the machine is pretty much dead on. My prior use of a Cz5 was one of the main reasons for me choosing the 3D. They are definitely deep seeking machines. The 3D will wear you out dig'n for the deep ones and I have dug several coins at depths of 10-12", or better, and I once dug a seated half-dime at a depth of 8" down. If there is a good target down there the 3D will find it...

The machine does love giving a false positive off of the ends of small iron targets such as square nails, but as you state you can get used to them listening for the double hit. I will usually dig anyway just encase and have lucked into several nice silvers doing so.

I've also never had a need for a pin pointer. The 3D is dead on when it come to that. As you state, most good targets are usually dead center in the plug if you've X'ed out the spot properly...

One note about the salt mode. I have learned a small trick with it. I don't like to constantly flip switches, not wanting to wear them out, but if you get an iffy signal ( One that you think may be a flattened bottle cap instead of a goodie ) you can flip to salt mode and if the needle is still reading all the way to the right then the target is probably something made of good metal such as, Silver, Brass, copper, etc... If the needle drops down, after switching to salt mode, then the target is usually a flattened bottle top, scrap aluminum, or many other similar pieces of junk...

I enjoyed reading your post and I'm glad to see someone else using the 3D. I was beginning to think I may have been the only one.

Great looking capped bust, Congrats!...
Continued Good luck with the 3D, & Happy hunting~

Digging Fool

Nice hunting!!! I had a chance to get a like-new CZ 3D about 4 years ago for 400.00. Still kicking myself for not getting it. They are great machines.

One note about the salt mode. I have learned a small trick with it. I don't like to constantly flip switches, not wanting to wear them out, but if you get an iffy signal ( One that you think may be a flattened bottle cap instead of a goodie ) you can flip to salt mode and if the needle is still reading all the way to the right then the target is probably something made of good metal such as, Silver, Brass, copper, etc... If the needle drops down, after switching to salt mode, then the target is usually a flattened bottle top, scrap aluminum, or many other similar pieces of junk...

I enjoyed reading your post and I'm glad to see someone else using the 3D. I was beginning to think I may have been the only one.

Great looking capped bust, Congrats!...
Continued Good luck with the 3D, & Happy hunting~

Thanks for the tip. I never tried what you're saying, but, I'll definitely try that salt mode when the need arises. For several years, I tried different detectors & wasn't satisfied with any of them...until...I tried the CZ3D.

As mentioned earlier, if the 3D was a updated CZ5, I wasn't interested. After reading NASA Tom's report on the Fisher's website, I figured this is the machine for me. I love old yardhunting for indian heads, V-nickels, etc, & this one sounded like a winner...........and for me---it is.

I figured with all the newer "F" models released recently by Fisher, the 3D wouldn't be discussed or used much anymore. I too ( like you ) thought I was the only one using a CZ3D.

I believe we both know this rascal is definitely one of Fisher's best kept secrets..........see ya yardhunter