Tumbler Report - 1st Round

Steve in PR

I started using a tumbler to clean clad that I recovered from salt water. The coin are extremely corroded and, especially with the pennies, are covered in a hard, sandy coating.

I went about cleaning them in 2 steps. First, I simply took a bunch and ran them throuight the tumbler using aquarium gravel only. They typically start out looking as in the lower right of the picture, although these generally in worse shape than some of them. Above them on the right are those that simply refused to get clean. To the top-left are some that responded to the tumbling but wre left stained, even after a water rinse. The ones in the lower left were water rinsed then retumbled but with Cream of Tartar powder added to the gravel (Available in the spice section of your grocery store.) and a water rinse afterwards

I had more luck with silver. The pile in the middle represents the "before" state and those around the pile are the results of a gravel-only tumble, water rinse and retumbled with Cream of Tartar. I think they are ready for rolling!

I am not done experimenting so I will be posting more results in the future.

A defininite No-No:

Don't place wet coins in your tumbler with Cream of Tartar powder. What you get is a stcky, syrupy mess that requires cleaning! :lol:

Dugday

Looking forward to more reports on cleaning procedures. I just bought a tumbler, but have not gotten around to trying it out. Only thing I will be tumbling will be the clad that I have lying around. Thanks for the info.

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
Steve, thanks for the info..I will want to get a tumbler later on and do the same with my coins...This will help me out a lot...Buster...:wavey:

Some of the ZLincolns I find have no chance of ever getting cleaned up at all, and those are ones found in the dirt :icon_cool

INDY

Like everyone else has stated, I will get a tumbler one day. SO I'll be reading this post and paying close attention to your results!!
Thanks Steve!!

homefire

I have a small one. One quart maybe! Never use it, I don't find enough to worry about.:bthumb:

I had some glass beads like the ones they use to make road signs glow at night. . 1mm maybe. I wanted to try them but someone liberated them off my car port. 80lb Worth:eek:

What they wanted them for I have no Idea!

Echostar61

Looks Good Steve :smile: I've tried the cream of tartar,added some plastic pellets gutted from beanie babies in my tumbler and clean aluminum tokens, worked pretty good .

Terri

Steve

I found that running copper with clad will make a mess of the clad. Are you running them together? I have a harbor freight tumbler that works great. I have been using gravel and dish soap. I normally tumble the clad with clad and the copper with copper, they get clean enough for the bank to take.

Thanks for the tar-tar tip, i'll give it a try next clean up:smile:

rip

Steve

I found that running copper with clad will make a mess of the clad. Are you running them together? I have a harbor freight tumbler that works great. I have been using gravel and dish soap. I normally tumble the clad with clad and the copper with copper, they get clean enough for the bank to take.

Thanks for the tar-tar tip, i'll give it a try next clean up:smile:
:icon_roll :icon_roll :spin: :spin: :icon_roll :icon_roll :lol:

Joker

Tumblers work great on clad from the dirt, I suppose its more of a challenge with coins from the ocean.. Tartar? is that for fish? :multi:

r49miner

Who would of thought in their right mind to invade the spice rack and decide "Oh Cream Of Tarter that ought to do the trick"? :rofl: Sorry Steve for making light of the great Tip, but sometimes you just have wonder. :bthumb:

When you said not to use it wet, do you just dry out the container, add fresh dry gravel and then the tarter or do you have a second tumbler for the dry? I'm going to go to harbor frieght and check there's out. Mines a little big for the amount of clad that I get. I have an older model that resembles this.

http://www.therockshed.com/rocktumbler/tumbrotary1a.jpg

dogpound

thanks for the great tip, i also just recently picked up a HF tumbler and was just gonna do the gravel and dish washer soap deal but i'll make sure i put that tarter on the shopping list next time goin to the store.

Ric-san

try this... good ol' sand, say maybe two teaspoons, add an equal amount of comet cleanser and some water...you want a slurry for it to work on the funk that is on the coins...

Rick