Two Buttons Identified

against the wind

Well it drizzled all day in NYC today so I spent a little time doing some research on 2 buttons I recovered earlier this week.
The first is a "Large Weight/Button" that is definitely Civil War Era or earlier. It is stated that the Button possibly had a dual purpose.
I can think of perhaps melting it down to make bullets or maybe use it as a sinker for fishing.
One source of information was: greybirdrelics.com and then select buttons
IMG_0011.JPG

The second is a uniform button from the Fifth Avenue Coach Co. This company ran buses in NYC along Fifth Avenue from 1896 - 1954
The wealthy Fifth Avenue residents stopped the city's plans to lay down tracks on Fifth Avenue to run Trolley cars. Fifth Avenue is the only major avenue in NYC that never had tracks.
For more information google "Fifth Avenue Coach Co. and go to uniforms
IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0007.JPG

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

The first one is not really a button. It is a hem weight that went in a mans long coat tail. It could date back to the late 1700s. You will also find them that are square shaped. These were used in the hem of a curtain to hold it down. The reason for the coat weights being round was so they wouldn't wear a hole in the material as they moved around.

Orosurf

The first one is not really a button. It is a hem weight that went in a mans long coat tail. It could date back to the late 1700s. You will also find them that are square shaped. These were used in the hem of a curtain to hold it down. The reason for the coat weights being round was so they wouldn't wear a hole in the material as they moved around.
They were also used in ladies skirts. I like the 5th Avenue one though.

against the wind

That is some great information, ,,
Thanks