U.S Silver

Hi Kids , remember me ? heh heh heh i'm considerably more sunburned and totally into this detecting in old Pa.Coins ive never seen before unearthed and the fun of researching them.
Which leads me to a hot june day in fields newly plowed , these grounds date back to ancient times and the still standing farm house from the 1700's.
Does anybody remember those black "strongboxes" ? Ive seen them in old western movies.
Long story short ..yep..i found one.

At first i thought it was old farm junk but so close to the house was odd , i was disappointed it wasnt a coin but dug it out as junk to clear the ground , this was a large item of metal.
Do you know that feeling of instant comprehension and excitement ? Heart pounding in an instant when i realised what it was ..and it was heavy..very heavy.
Better yet it was still locked.....yes it rattled and i knew immediately what was inside.

We're still catologuing them all after days of it ..hundreds upon hundreds of silver dimes , old indian nickels , silver quarters by the roll , silver half dollars and joy of joys silver dollars ..lots of them , CC mint on a few and lots of San Francisco mint marks on all kinds of coins , tokens were there from 1829 , old pennies but the vast majority is silver coins , ive no idea how much it all weighs but its the first time ive ever found a hoard of coins and just find delight for now looking at them.

I thought about putting a few on ebay but thought id give you guys first crack at any for your own collections.No sense paying ebay fees if it can be avoided.Yes i have landowners full permission and we are both happy to keep a few for souvineers and sell the rest.
Anybody interested in particular dates can PM me , i'll organise a photo this evening and post it tomorrow.
Theres a lot of silver dimes from the 20's and 30's and 40's , quarters are about the same , beautiful standing liberty half dollars , silver dollars are mostly peace and morgan dollars.
Theres a few oddities like large pennies and 1918 quarters as well as various tokens.

KellycoChick

Treasure Quest Sponsor
oh. my. goodness. That's called "JACKPOT!!!!!!"

I personally wouldn't go the eBay route, but look up coin dealer websites and give some a call - but before you do, goodness gracious PLEASE TAKE SOME PICTURES!

anne

Congratulations James :multi: have you come down of the ceiling yet, what a fantastic find.:bthumb:
Get quotes from several dealers as they are out to make as much out of it as they can.

Zman

Holy Cow, you found the mother lode! Congrats and yes I would be interested in some coins. Definately want to see some picks.WTG:bthumb:

Geode

Congrads James it looks like u have struk the mother lode, like everybody is saying pictures Please lots of them. :bthumb:

George

G :multi: Wahoo Yepeeee

schoser

we gotta have picturse if we are to take your claim seriously. if it's true then AWESOME! if not then :icon_roll ok nice story!

wtg

I truly believe that's one of the most treasured finds while metal detecting. It's what everyone hopes for. What a great hobby. It's about being in the right place at the right time. Congrats, keep up the good work.

Hi everybody , up late getting pictures but finding difficulty getting all the coins into a frame , thanks for kudos and you can bet i was thinking all the things you guys said.
Theres a couple requests for seperate photos so i'll get busy and have these pics up today/tonight.

Attaching pics

Ok , i'll give it a try , this first one shows the old strongbox i described , too bad it had to be bust open but i figured i didnt have much chance of finding the key too.

Attachments

Ok..that worked

I got pics to work first time..cool
Coins are not in any real order just stacked according to denomination for this quick pic.
There were other items inside , tokens and old paper notes , ones and fives but nothing like ive ever seen before.Pre 1920's notes , confederate notes , tokens from various cities , an old pin fire pistol , coins from haiti oddly enough pre 20's and silver also.

Attachments

The old gun

Pretty neat really , no makers mark but the handle has the european "green man" carved in the grips and the only mark i can find appears 3 times on the 3 pieces which make up the gun.Its a V with a crown above it which leads me to think Queen Victoria of England.
The ciggie pack is for scale , its really small but must have packed a real punch as its a 6 shooter and bigger than a .22 or .25 , its not a .38 .. dunno , pretty cool anyway.

Attachments

homefire

Just under the Cylinder, you should find some marks.

On the end of the but, you should find some numbers.

Were do you see the marks your talking about?