"unsearched wheat cents"

Discussion in 'US Coins' started by DBQ Dave, May 14, 2017.

1. DBQ Dave

DBQ Dave Well-Known Member

I recently bought 1000 supposedly unsearched wheat cents on ebay. I haven't received them yet but I kind of regret my purchase. I mean is there any legitimate companies or individuals that actually sell you truly unsearched coins in bulk? I watched some videos from the JD variety show online, and he seemed to do pretty good with them. Is anyone into buying bulk coins for searching? Does anyone know of a good source for them?
    I paid $160 or 16 cents a piece.

2. Gregory

Gregory Well-Known Member Administrator-Site Founder

Painter-Paper Hanger & Timber Man
    I would say about 95% of coin hoards were searched by someone down through the years. When you see them being advised as unsearched they just can't verify that someone didn't look through them at some point through the years. Another thing they do is have people post false feedback, "Hey I found an 1909-S VDB"!!!!!
    I did find an 1909-S wheat and and 1909-S Indian years ago.
    When I buy wheaties in bulk and see a bunch of "S" mints that tells me that they were not probably searched by someone who knows coins because most S mints are picked out.

PRO PHOTOG and against the wind like this.
  3. DBQ Dave

Thank you. I wish I knew of a good source to get them from.

4. DBQ Dave

Now that I think for a minute, I probably need to go to some local estate sales/auctions and avoid the easy online stuff. Thinking further.....I do too much thinking not enough doing...but I'm sure I will be met with others at the sale/auction with the same intent.

PRO PHOTOG likes this.
  5. Gregory

Gregory Well-Known Member Administrator-Site Founder

Painter-Paper Hanger & Timber Man
    The best way to buy coins is simply place a small ad in your local news paper, it works well for me and be sure to educate yourself in the coins your interested in collecting. I use the grey sheet for coin values. There's a buying and selling value in coin collecting. Once I had an old timer meet me at fort necessity with a 5 gallon water bucket full of wheaties. I used a scale to determine how many pennies were in the bucket

6. against the wind

against the wind Well-Known Member

"Lost Treasure Detective"
    I emptied an overflowing 5 gallon glass bottle that was filled with pose Wheat pennies. Almost got another hernia.
    I cashed in around 2 hundred dollars worth of pennies.
    I had to empty it due to my move to Pennsylvania.

7. PRO PHOTOG

PRO PHOTOG Well-Known Member

Professional photographer
    Boy does that hit home!:eek:

8. sojourner

sojourner Well-Known Member

Retired
    I'd be VERY skeptical of those so-called "UNsearched" wheat cents and at 16 cents per coin they're quite pricey. Even if they contain quite a few "S" mints it could mean the "S" mint coins were added to the mix to make it seem as if they were unsearched. At most coin shows in this area you can buy rolls of wheat cents for around $3 and pure "S" mint rolls for a little more. With few exceptions, "S" mint Lincolns are very common.

9. Artie Fact

Artie Fact Well-Known Member

Diesel Mechanic
    I just saw this thread. Just out of curiosity, why did you buy them? Are you hoping to find something really neat and rare or are you looking for coins you do not have to fill holes in a book? Like I said, I am just curious. If you need any particular coin, post it up. I, like some others here, think it is too easy for someone to brand these coins "unsearched" but I hope you get some great coins.