Vaquero or Tejon.. ??

Calz

:banghead:

HI,
Apart from borrowing a friends detector for a few weeks (Compass Scanner Pro) I'm a complete newbi to metal detecting :doh:.
I've now got to the point I want/need to buy my own detector and I've narrowed my choice to 2, a Tejon or Vaquero :doh:.
I have read many reviews on both and I'm finding it hard to choose. Is the Tejon worth the extra $140 over the price of the Vaquero, not forgetting i'm a newbi .:doh:
I understand about the extra noise generated by the Tejon as it's a more powerfull macine etc.
I need a good all round detector for coins and relics, I'm heading for a Vaquero, but, should I pay the extra $140 and go for a Tejon.....:banghead: :doh: :banghead: :doh:...ahhh my head hurts.:alcoholic...

I live in the UK (East Anglia).
Ahh yes, I'm also thinking of importing from the USA. How does that affect the warranty on a Tesoro.

regards

Calz

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
Welcome aboard. This is a great forum and has a lot of info. I am not sure of the detectors you talked about though. I used a Garrett and have a Whites now. Don't hesitate to ask questions . There are allot of smart hunters on this site. Good luck.....Buster...:smile:

Calz

Hi,

Thanks.
I've read the reviews. http://http://metaldetectorreviews.net/tesoro.htm

They both score really high but the Vaquero get higher with all fives.
So, is the only difference that the Tejon gets an inch or two deeper for $140 more?

Although one review stated against a Tejon:
"As a matter of fact, the Vaquero is a much deeper machine in bad ground".

:doh:

MinelabMan

Hi Calz and welcome to TQ!

Below is the Tesoro site and at the bottom of the "Detectors" page and click on the "Product Comparison" link you can compare their features side by side. One thing that I did notice is the the Tejon operates at about the same frequency as gold detectors but I don't know if I'd say it's more powerful. From this website, you can contact Tesoro and ask about the warranty.

The other link is reviews from others who own the machines that I often find helpful. The Vaquero is 5 stars compared to 4.5 for the Tejon. I don't or have never had either but I do have a Cibola that seems to do a good job.

Tesoro Detector Index
Tesoro Metal Detectors - Reviews

Good luck with whichever you decide on and let us see your finds!

Calz

Hi,

Thanks everyone.
I've read the reviews for the Tejon and Vaquero. It seems the Vaquero wins for me, several reviews state there's very little or no difference in depth. Some state that the Vaquero is deeper.

So I guess I'll save some cash and go for a Vaquero.
Just waiting to hear from Tesoro regarding the Warranty..I emailed them two days ago.

Hey Calz, welcome too the fourm.
I would go with the Vaquero. The Tejon has more power, and a little more depth, but it is noisy. This is where the extra depth comes from. It took me a little bit to learn is do's and dont's. The Vaquero is a exellent machine, way outperforming a lot of others. Hope this helps some.
LR

Hi Calz and welcome to a great place and great people! I hope you will visit often Calz. It depends on what you really need the machine to do. The Vaquero and the Tejon are coin magnets no doubt. The Tejon was designed for getting as much depth possible for working the Civil War Battelfields here in the U.S.. So all the stops were pulled out during the designing of the Tejon and that is why it will chatter more because of the larger gain of the front end of the receiver. I really like the dual discriminator circuits and it definitely comes in handy for checking the target. The Vaquero is a very nice smooth running machine and enjoyable to use. I love the new 5.75 HOT coil for these machines. I have one on my Tejon and it works well! Ok Calz I wish you the best in your selection. So happy hunting and God Bless ya.

John Tomlinson,CET P=VI
John's Detectors
Team Nuggetfinder
Blackwell,Tx.
Best Little Detector Shop in Texas!
:multi::rocketwho

Calz

Hi

Thanks again.

Ha, John I just emailed you, saw your add. I wont go into details you'll have to read it. :bow:

Regards.

Calz.

EBCIII

Welcome to the site! I looked at Teroro's real hard when I was buying mine. I think either will do you well. Good luck with your choice, Beale.

The TINMAN

Welcome Calz

to TQ. :wave: A lot of folks use their Vaquero for relic hunting and are very happy with the results. I think you would be very happy with the Vaquero.

The TINMAN

Calz

Hi all,

I've been doing a bit more research / emailing (thanks John) and found out a few more things about the Vaquero on this side of the pond.

I have now decided to play it safe and get a "LASER Trident 2" (made by Tesoro) :spin:.
It’s basically the same as Vaquero but has fixed GB as well as adjustable GB, also the electronics / discrimination has been set up slightly differently to allow for hammered foil coins (medievil).

Laser trident 2

“Click the ground balance into fixed...you have a Ciboli
Turn the ground balance to manual...you have a Vaquero”

More news, over the last week I've been catching up with tractor drivers on fields (one of whom happened to be the land owner) and I have gained several acres of hunting ground. One of which is a known Roman location. Unfortunately I cannot get on to them untill next year but hey... still good.

BFN

Calz.

Hi,

Thanks everyone.
I've read the reviews for the Tejon and Vaquero. It seems the Vaquero wins for me, several reviews state there's very little or no difference in depth. Some state that the Vaquero is deeper.

So I guess I'll save some cash and go for a Vaquero.
Just waiting to hear from Tesoro regarding the Warranty..I emailed them two days ago.

Hi Calz ! Just curious to know if you received a reply on your E-mail to Tesoro re their warranty.

My experience has been that it takes them 10 days or more if they reply.
My last 2-3 emails were never answered ! :icon_frow Also, in response to their ad for a free 21st edition of Metal Detector Information (MDI) magazine, which appeared in the Sept. 2007 issue of Western & Eastern Treasures magazine, I phoned them on August 10 of this year and requested a copy of the MDI.........never have received it ! Maybe they need more sales staff, I dunno. Perhaps a regular letter would get better recognition.

My first email to them asked which metal detector model they would recommend for someone who wanted a land machine for coins, jewelry, relics and gold prospecting. They did answer on this one, recommending the Vaquero. But, since then, responses have been zilch !

Hope you do better :bthumb:

Todd

Hi Todd, the lady that got a lot of the things done your talking about just retired and I suspect that might be a part of it. I'm a dealer and have not received any new MDI's myself. But I would keep trying Todd. The Vaquero is a great machine and I believe it will serve you well. If I could be of help to you in getting one let me know. Ok God Bless and I will look further into the MDI FOR YOU.

John Tomlinson,CET P=VI
John's Detectors
Team Nuggetfinder
Blackwell,Tx.

Calz

Nope

HI,

Todd, the answer to your question is No. I have not had any reply from Tesoro, I emailed about 4 times.
I also emailed them and told them to ignor my first email as I have purchased a Tesor/Laser Trident II from a UK dealer.
I recieved it yesterday, Lovely little machine :bthumb:. My wife has it under lock and key so that I can't dig any more holes in the lawn.. (please just one more, it's a really strong signal :mean:)... I have to wait untill Friday so I can get out on one of my new, permision granted fields.

BFN....:wave:

HI,

Todd, the answer to your question is No. I have not had any reply from Tesoro, I emailed about 4 times.
I also emailed them and told them to ignor my first email as I have purchased a Tesor/Laser Trident II from a UK dealer.
I recieved it yesterday, Lovely little machine :bthumb:. My wife has it under lock and key so that I can't dig any more holes in the lawn.. (please just one more, it's a really strong signal :mean:)... I have to wait untill Friday so I can get out on one of my new, permision granted fields
BFN....:wave:

Calz.......Good Luck with your new machine and thanks for the reply !

I assume you caught John's message to me on this thread, suggesting that the response problem could be due to the lady at Tesoro retiring. I don't doubt this was it.......hopefully things will get back to normal soon. I wish the lady all the best in her retirement and my hat goes off to whoever takes
her work load !!!:yikes:

Todd:smile:

Hi Todd, the lady that got a lot of the things done your talking about just retired and I suspect that might be a part of it. I'm a dealer and have not received any new MDI's myself. But I would keep trying Todd. The Vaquero is a great machine and I believe it will serve you well. If I could be of help to you in getting one let me know. Ok God Bless and I will look further into the MDI FOR YOU.

John Tomlinson,CET P=VI
John's Detectors
Team Nuggetfinder
Blackwell,Tx.

Thanks John,

With reference to the two pics attached (Rem: Click on pics to enlarge), I do have a copy of the Tesoro MDI that has the front cover showing a man standing in a field with a shovel in his right hand, but when I saw Tesoro's new ad on page 57 of the Sept., 2007 Western & Eastern Treasures magazine, i.e. the pic of a man kneeling and holding axe heads, I thought this was a new MDI edition, i.e. the ad was showing a pic of the new front cover.

I'm now thinking that Tesoro just used one of the pictures from Bruce Purpura's article "Axe Hoard Discovered" on page 14 of the MDI I have, for the new ad in W & E Treasures September, 2007 issue. If that's true, the ad sure gave me the wrong impression and possibly a lot of other folks too! On the other hand, maybe they have published a new MDI edition with a new front cover........I dunno. :confused: If there is a new edition, with some new stuff in it, I would like a copy of that one...you betcha !

I appreciate your thoughtfulness in trying to help me out.

ToddB64