What's in a Name

• Thread starter Fiftytwo pennies
  • Start date
F

Fiftytwo pennies

I was curious about all the folks on the forum here. I see a screen name and its kind of like those personalized license plates; they’re kind of hard to figure out. If you care to share, what does your name stand for?

I'll go first. When I first started MD'ing, I used to do residential yards and I would accumulate an average of fifty-two cents every yard; Hence, Fiftytwo pennies.

The TINMAN

It's a Story

The TINMAN from the Wizard of Oz of course Tho I did have a member PM me about it as her husbands E-Mail name is the Tinman because he is a Sheetmetal man ( TinNocker ) There is a story behind it so bare with me as There may come a day ( I hope it never does ) that I may have to change my user name. There were 9 of us kids in our family and myself and 2 of my younger brothers and one of my younger sisters were always very close. Our Favorite movie was The Wizard of Oz and so the 4 of us all took a characters name myself being The TINMAN. As we got older we remained very close to eachother and when we could get together and the movie was on we would watch and play our roles out. At one point I had a Gold coin made and cut into quarters with each quarter having the appropriate name on it. Each of us took ours and we made a pact to always keep them and if something should happen to one of us then the eldest would get there quarter and so on till the last one had all 4 pieces back together. The remaining sibling would take it to our secret place we
would go to. Our Emerald City was a Electric Generating building for Edison Electric that was at the end our street. We would play in the lot attached to it trying to see the Wizard. The coin is to be buried in that lot wich as of last year was still there, still pretty much as it was when we were kids. My younger sister ( Dorothy ) and one of my younger brothers ( The Cowardly Lion ) have already gone back over the rainbow.I now hold 3 of the 4 pieces. My other youger brother now 52 had a heart attack last year but is doing fine and I hope it stays that way. It is one thing I have never wanted to be, the holder of that gold coin in it's entirety again. If by some Sad Circumstance the Scarecrow should go to meet the others before me, I will take that coin, put it in a speacial container I hold and make a trip back to our old neighbor hood and bury it very deeply near Emerald City. Once that is done, sadly the journey to Oz will be over and I will relenquish the title of The TINMAN. Tho I do not wish my brother to have to have this task to do, It is my greatest hope that I would not have to see the younger all leave before me. Sorry this got so long and I truly hope that the members here will always know me as The TINMAN and by no other user name.

Theres No Place Like Home
The TINMAN

That is such a sweet and ultimately sad story. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.
TINMAN......What Julie said!

About my username, I got into forums all of a sudden in August of this year, I had no clue as to a username other than I had a Minelab Explorer II and about the same time I purchased an SE and an Excalibur, so I figured that was as good a name as any.

Wow what an interesting thread! Tinman that is a cool story behind your name and thank you for sharing that with us all.

On other forums I do use the name WIRECHIEF. Wirechief was actually a job position in a telegraph office back in the days when telegraph was the main mode of communication. Of course that mode was called morse code or CW. I have been a licensed ham radio op for almost 25 years and that is what I use to transmit with on my ham rig. I am also a duly licensed FCC 2nd Class Shipboard Radio Op.. To posess this certification you must be able to copy morse code at 20 words per minute or more. I also casually collect telegraph keys.

Ok there's mine.

John Tomlinson,CET,KA5QYR
John's Detectors

EBCIII

Tinman that is a very sad, great, story. Thank you so much for sharing it,

Well I am not very original. Mine is just my name but comes with a story also.

When I was born I became the 3rd in a line. I am the oldest in my family of 4. My dad is a huge history buff, and strong into "family names". He is EBC Jr, His dad was EBC.

My full name is Ehteldred Beale Carter III, or EBCIII, or just Beale.

Now here is the funny part. When my oldest of 2 sons was born my dad tried to "bribe" me. He wanted a IV in the family tree. He offered me $10,000.00 and my sons college education to do it. I chose not to.

My oldest sons name is Jonathon Beale Carter. He is in the USN earning his money for college, Beale.

Wonderful story TINMAN..
As for me, I was awarded TwoDogsBob.. My daily companions are a Springer named Cody and his partner in crime a Border Collie named Shadow. Both of them had been abused, neglected, and finally abandoned about a month apart and happened to wander into the right place. Anytime I'm going into town I have both of them in the front of the truck with me. This is a small cattle town and a good dog here is a respected member of the family and not just a pet.. Just about every truck comes equipped with one.
One morning I was walking into the local, and only, cafe when one of the usual morning crowd greeted me with "Hey, it's Two Dogs Bob"
The rest my friends is history....

AWESOME story Tinman (I watched The Wizard Of Oz last night actually & will again tonight), my real name is Evelyn but I ABSOLUTELY hate that name, always have, I always told my mom when I was a kid that I was going to change it when I grew up but never did, when I was in the Air Force & in Korea in 1993 we were partying one night & someone hollered 'E' & it's stuck ever since, I like it much better than my real name.

The TINMAN

E

I Like it and Thank you for your service. It was really strange cuz I was watching The Wizard myself last night and as protocol The Scarecrow and I will call the other to let them know and we Reminis and make sure all still is in effect and order for our Pact. It is always Bitter Sweet but such is Life, Anyway as soon as it was over I got on site and low and behold there was Fiftytwo pennies thread. Strange how things come about.
Love the Avatar !

The TINMAN

.......My username is a nickname i picked up back in my wild and crazy days.I have always had a low tolerance to alcahol and would usualy "fall asleep" after partakeing of a few.Thus "rip" after rip van winckle :grin:
I would have thought until I read the last line that it was because you were always getting "ripped" :rofl:

And Fiftytwo pennies, this is a great thread :bthumb:.