What's keeping me from buying

HungryGhost

I've been hearing and seeing wonderful things about the XP Deus. Amazing performance, light weight, and excellent customer service. The thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is the batteries. The idea of having to charge the headphones, coil, and control unit separately just doesn't sit right with me. The batteries are also built in and must be changed when they no longer hold a charge. According to the website they should last 3-5 years if used weekly. I don't know, I just like the idea of having a mess of alkaline batteries on hand and putting fresh ones in when I want to, even in the field. With the Deus you can't carry extra batter packs. I'm going to wait and see how this plays out with XP users. I don't mean to bad mouth this unit, I'm just voicing my concern.

Here's a link to their FAQs:
http://www.xpmetaldetectorsamericas.com/faq-accessories

diggin brains

I've been hearing and seeing wonderful things about the XP Deus. Amazing performance, light weight, and excellent customer service. The thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is the batteries. The idea of having to charge the headphones, coil, and control unit separately just doesn't sit right with me. The batteries are also built in and must be changed when they no longer hold a charge. According to the website they should last 3-5 years if used weekly. I don't know, I just like the idea of having a mess of alkaline batteries on hand and putting fresh ones in when I want to, even in the field. With the Deus you can't carry extra batter packs. I'm going to wait and see how this plays out with XP users. I don't mean to bad mouth this unit, I'm just voicing my concern.

Here's a link to their FAQs:
http://www.xpmetaldetectorsamericas.com/faq-accessories
good reading, thanks

teamroper

The only thing I can tell you is that you should be able to hunt for at least 15 hrs before charging any one of the components. It just seems to keep on going, and going and going. I've only charged it twice since I've had mine and I was told that they don't build up a memory so the life of your battery doesn't drop. Again, this is just what I've seen and heard.

HungryGhost

The only thing I can tell you is that you should be able to hunt for at least 15 hrs before charging any one of the components. It just seems to keep on going, and going and going. I've only charged it twice since I've had mine and I was told that they don't build up a memory so the life of your battery doesn't drop. Again, this is just what I've seen and heard.
That's true it's a lithium battery and can be topped off at anytime without any problems. The old NiCad batteries had to be fully drained before recharging.

against the wind

My Excalibur is put on the charger after every use and always get me through an 8 hour hunt.
I cancelled a camping trip to Montauk Pt. because there was no electrical hook-ups and I
wanted to hunt the water on the Eastern end of Long Island. I had the permits for the Detecting
as well as reservations,, but no electric. I guess I had to roll with the punches. It was a learning lesson.

I have two rechargeable battery packs and an alkaline battery pack for my E-Trac, so there is
never a fear of getting caught without a fully charged hunt. Although the E-Trac can hold it's own
against any machine around,, it can't hunt in the rain.

If I top off the Deus the night before a hunt, I think I'll be okay. Let me see what this machine
can produce, (as far as finds go), over a period of three years. That is when I will deal with the
costs of replacing the batteries. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a good amount of gold and silver.
That in itself will put my worries about battery replacement to rest. Maybe by then I'll be ready to
upgrade to a machine that can tell you what the date on the coin is,, before you dig it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sure wish Spring would hurry up and get here.
The price I paid and the good stuff I'm reading about this machine was just too attractive to pass up.

fyrffytr1

The one thing that I am concerned about is that you have to return the coil to an authorized facility to have the battery replaced in it. The batteries are supposed to last 3-5 years hunting once a week. So, if you average two or three times a week the time span for battery replacement is reduced. They do not say how many hours they figured when coming up with the weekly hunt time so I would question that and I would also see what the turn around time is for replacing the coil battery.

fyrffytr1

My only concern would be remembering to charge all the components. I don think you would have to worry about the batteries going bad. You have to remember also that this machine comes with a 5YEAR parts and labour guarantee. Are you listening MINELAB ???
The company puts battery life at 3-5 years so my question is are they covered under the 5 year warranty?

hoser

My Excalibur is put on the charger after every use and always get me through an 8 hour hunt.
I cancelled a camping trip to Montauk Pt. because there was no electrical hook-ups and I
wanted to hunt the water on the Eastern end of Long Island. I had the permits for the Detecting
as well as reservations,, but no electric. I guess I had to roll with the punches. It was a learning lesson.

I have two rechargeable battery packs and an alkaline battery pack for my E-Trac, so there is
never a fear of getting caught without a fully charged hunt. Although the E-Trac can hold it's own
against any machine around,, it can't hunt in the rain.

If I top off the Deus the night before a hunt, I think I'll be okay. Let me see what this machine
can produce, (as far as finds go), over a period of three years. That is when I will deal with the
costs of replacing the batteries. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a good amount of gold and silver.
That in itself will put my worries about battery replacement to rest. Maybe by then I'll be ready to
upgrade to a machine that can tell you what the date on the coin is,, before you dig it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sure wish Spring would hurry up and get here.
The price I paid and the good stuff I'm reading about this machine was just too attractive to pass up.
I just read this, and it reminded me of something I have and use a lot. It's a portable power supply and it would charge your batteries no problem.
http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-XP...8107799&sr=8-1&keywords=portable+power+supply