Whats the biggest difference

I own a MXT but now looked at the M6.

How do they compare?
Would the tone ID on the M6 make it an easier machine to
identify targets?

MXT has threshold noise, you can turn it down , if you like, m-6 is silent search, with tone ID, both use the same ftrequency, coils are interchangeable, just depends on what you like.

Whites Matrix M6 vs. MXT

My understanding of the M6 is that it is a simplified version of the MXT stuck in coin and jewelry mode. It uses the same coin program accept with trigger pushed forward (alternate search mode). On an M6 in alternate mode, the sound produced is based on the VDI number, the higher the number - the higher pitched the sound is over the target, whereas the MXT in alternate mode simply rejects the pulltab and bottle cap range of the VDI but keeps the nickels range. Identifying a target is exactly the same with each machine.

If you are used to the MXT and need a coin-only second machine, than you will feel right at home using the M6. :bthumb:

why...

why do you say the M6 is a coin only machine?
It will still find rings ?
Just does not have relic mode

My understanding of the M6 is that it is a simplified version of the MXT stuck in coin and jewelry mode. It uses the same coin program accept with trigger pushed forward (alternate search mode). On an M6 in alternate mode, the sound produced is based on the VDI number, the higher the number - the higher pitched the sound is over the target, whereas the MXT in alternate mode simply rejects the pulltab and bottle cap range of the VDI but keeps the nickels range. Identifying a target is exactly the same with each machine.

If you are used to the MXT and need a coin-only second machine, than you will feel right at home using the M6. :bthumb:

why do you say the M6 is a coin only machine?
It will still find rings ?
Just does not have relic mode
They based the m-6 on the mxt's coin and jewelry mode. It will still find rings. maybe he was referring to the mode (coin + jewelry) as opposed to having the relic and prospecting modes available (which the mxt has )

They based the m-6 on the mxt's coin and jewelry mode. It will still find rings. maybe he was referring to the mode (coin + jewelry) as opposed to having the relic and prospecting modes available (which the mxt has )
That is exactly what I was referring to. An M6 response will always refer to a coin program. That is what I meant by it being stuck in a coin + jewelry mode or coin only machine. You can still relic hunt with it, but you will have to remember the VDI range by memory for bullets, buckles, etc... The difference between relic mode and coin mode on a MXT is what is displayed on the screen based on the VDI number and the two tone accept or reject sound in relic mode.

I like to coin hunt in relic mode in trashy areas because it will always give me the good tone sound whenever it senses a good target with the trash and I have to look at the VDI number to determine whether or not to dig. The M6 alternate search mode takes that concept one step farther by giving 9 levels of sound so you don't have to look at the VDI number. When you hear the sound you want, just pinpoint and dig. The problem with listening for just the sound is that in trashy areas, you get a lot of false edge hits on iron, so your constantly checking the target anyway.

Also, on my machine, a nickel is usually between VDI 14 + 20. VDI 22 is almost always a pull-tab. Does the sound for a nickel on a M6 fall exactly between the range 14+20 and not include 22? Probably not, so I would be looking at the VDI number anyway. Like I said, identifying a target is exactly the same for both machines.

Once you understand how each machine works, you can use either one to search the same way for any target. The difference is the experience of the user and the cost of the machine. The MXT is a step up from the M6 because of the prospecting mode for gold (which is another tool that I have used to help identify a target) Plus, I consider both machines to be equal in coin (or jewelry or relic) hunting because they use the same VDI detection circuitry. How do I know this? Because the coils are interchangeable and the VDI numbers match up.

Have a great day. :smile:

Captain

I have owned both, Currently, I have the Matrix. Knowing what I know now, I should have kept the MXT. I too like the extra tones on the M6. But that's all. The Bar on the MXT is better, MXT is stronger by means of being able to have threshold. I will make a change to a strong machine as soon as I get the opportunity.

How do they compare?
identify targets?
OK I gotta ask... why would you get the m-6 if you already own an mxt ?? My mxt's (and yours) have a way better computer in them, more modes, more options, more information, available to you, so you can make an informed decision about the target much easier. Now, if you were going up to a spectra... I would understand !!

why...

I like the idea of good tone ID.

I am inclined to think that the V3 is a machine with alot of bells and whistles that are not really needed. If you want to find the jewelry then you have to dig the pull tabs anyway.

With this being said I think that the MXT - M6 will do the same thing
for less money too.

Unless of course if you like bells and whistles!

Captain

Reason I downgraded

For me personally;
I didn't like the horn tones of the MXT the first 3 months I had a most horrible headache from concentrating on them tones. Coming from a BH fluted tones it was painful to the ear.
But I do like the Black on Black look.. I'm a sucker for black on white or silver.
I sold my MXT because I was a bit disappointed in the whole MDing Idea.
" Sign, Sign every where a Sign" - " Do this, no do that, Cant do this here"
I figured I could convert my fishing buddy to share in the humbleness of picking up pennies; but he said it was lame. :cool:
So I sold my machine to see if I would miss t-hunting.
Yup you betcha.. I did.(< Sarah Palin impersonation)
I picked up this M6 for $500. Had it for lil' over a yeaR.

Glad that you enjoy the m6

I have the V3 sold my mxt and now I am going to get the M6 as a back up machine.

Then.....I think that I will be set!

How do they compare?
identify targets?

Using the DISC knob the more you turn it up...the targets below the setting will not sound off. If you are in a very trash filled area using the tones with very little DISC might annoy you with all the 7 tones. If you are coin hunting, after awhile you will learn which tones to dig and which ones to leave.

M6 as a 2nd detector

Actor, I have a V3, and my M6 makes the perfect backup. The V3 is a supreme detector, I have yet to find any extra bell or whistle that does not provide a useful piece of information once you learn to use it all. For years I had an XLT e series. I loved it. I upgraded to a V3, which is basically an XLT on steroids! It is an outstanding detector in all respects. I keep the M6in my car all the times. It is easy to use, a quick turn and go machine, can use all of my V3 coils, has a salt beach setting, auto ground balance with a lock setting, VCO and a 7 tone ID setting ( The MXT has a 9 tone ID setting I believe). I really enjoy the detector and it has excellent depth and the VDI is right on. I thought about the MXT for the extra $100, but decided to put that money towards a 4X6 DD coil. For what I want, the M6 is an excellent choice. It is a silent search mode detector, however, (no threshold) so if you want a threshold you will have to buy the MXT. I do not mind the no threshold search mode. I use it for short scouting hunts, spur of the moment hunts, etc. so I want a simple, powerful, accurate detector to use that can be set up quickly. For me, M6 fits the bill. I have now set my V3 up with 7 tone ID, so that when I swing either detector I hear the same tones. I think the M6 (basically a simplified down MXT) is an excellent 2nd or back-up detector. Or, for that matter, a great first detector. When friends want to try out detecting, it is an easy turn on and go machine. You will not be sorry if you purchase this detector for your 2nd detector, or for any reason.

Zip Zip

Without the threshold hum,you will miss deep targets that don't even register on the screen. Kind of like Star Wars "I felt a disturbance in the force". The M6 is a great detector and is great for someone who wants simplicity and is not concerned with deep hits.:bthumb: