When Football Players Were Patriotic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sojourner, Nov 11, 2017.

1. sojourner

sojourner Well-Known Member

Retired
    Image (9).jpg Image (10).jpg
    Because it's Veteran's Day and with all the nonsense going on in pro football with the kneeling and the anthem, I figured I'd share this newspaper article with anyone who wants to read it. It was in the sports section of today's New York Post newspaper.

draaiorgel, KRose, plumbcrazy and 2 others like this.
  2. KRose

KRose Well-Known Member

Retired Firefighter
    Sojo, Thanks for this story and History Lesson. These players, these men as you said were All Patriots. It is sad that they were lost so young, but I am glad that they were not able to see what happened to the sport that they loved so well. It is Truly Sickening what has happened to the nfl. But the commissioner, playa's, the team owners, and some of the coaches have allowed this to happen. The same as when spoiled rotten children are allowed to act at will, throwing little tantrums and running amok with NO DISCIPLINE......NO CONSEQUENCES for their actions. The nfl in my opinion has destroyed themselves from within, and they can blame no one but themselves. Fans, or should I say former fans, and major sponsors have spoken and the nfl has taken notice. DOH! They never saw this type of reaction coming. Now they are trying to attempt to turn things around. Much Too Little, Much Too Late I say. Now folks realize that the only reason they are attempting to turn things around is not because they realize the wrong they have done and they are remorseful.....it's not because they are doing the right Patriotic thing to do.......it's because they realize they are financially destroying themselves and they are on their way down the ole' johnny flusher'. Good Riddance I say. Good post Ed. Thanks again.

sojourner and draaiorgel like this.
  3. draaiorgel

draaiorgel Well-Known Member

organ grinder
    Fife, Scotland. approx. 12 miles from St.Andrews,
    It all starts from poor parenting.
    Once when our son was about 5 years old he stole a small packet of sweets from a supermarket. When we were going along the street I noticed he was chewing something,
    on questioning him.
    I got him by the scruff of his neck and promptly ran him back to the shop, and asked to see the manager.
    Once I had explained to him, he tipped me the wink and told our son I could be sent to jail.
    I offered to pay for the sweets but the nice gentleman said his shame was payment enough.
    He never gave us any trouble after that.

KRose, sojourner and plumbcrazy like this.
  4. sojourner

Retired
    You did the right thing Ian........

draaiorgel and KRose like this.
  5. sojourner

Retired
    I couldn't agree with you more Kevin. Sad to say though, that a lot of this NFL "misbehavior" seems to start in college and in high school "sports".

6. KRose

KRose Well-Known Member

Retired Firefighter
    This is true, sad but true. Now we have college cheerleaders hitting a knee. There was recently a college band....I can't recall which college right off, that refused to play the National Anthem. When behavior such as this raises its ugly head in college I can think of only one word: "Expulsion".

draaiorgel and sojourner like this.
  7. sojourner

Retired
    College kids are supposed to become the future of our country. If this is so, we're going to be in trouble. When I was a young kid, my grandfather always used to say that the country was going down the tubes. I always thought it was just the rantings of an older man. If he could see what's going on now his fears might be confirmed. Now, I'm an old man with those same feelings.

8. KRose

KRose Well-Known Member

Retired Firefighter
    Likewise. It is not just ranting's of an older generation, but a generation who truly loves this country and fears of what is in store for our children and future generations to come.

draaiorgel and sojourner like this.