Where is the "weirdest" place you found coins?

mel9861

I usually dig parks, locating the tell tale dirt field from sat views.
99 percent on the level...near the bleachers, or local parks.
So , if the question hasn't been asked--- Where have you found coins?
Around BIG old oak trees? along an old stone wall? Please tell me...some new ideas to go diggin

Thanks so very much

mel

EPC Guy

TQ Ambassador
Where old outhouses (privies) used to be are great areas for coins...grass strips between sidewalks and the street (especially in older areas) are also good places to coinshoot. There are literally HUNDREDS of likely places for coins - but I'll let others chime-in as well...good hunting to ya!

EBCIII

I like schools. At one school I can access the football field. i do not hunt the field itself but the outside around it is open game. I found about 10.00 in clad one day on the visitor side. Made me wonder why and not much on the home side. Well I went to a game my son played in. The visitor side concession stand Moves! I just never saw it, the coins were mostly near that stand, Beale.

Megagold

I would like to hit the grassy area by the boardwalk, but got ran out of there! lol....
My nephew's up around the Fresno River on his property....

Doc dog

I've been MDing this park the better part of 3 months,it has one part of it that has a campground with about 30 spaces so it's renewing it's self all the time.

pennystock

I usually dig parks, locating the tell tale dirt field from sat views.
99 percent on the level...near the bleachers, or local parks.
So , if the question hasn't been asked--- Where have you found coins?
Around BIG old oak trees? along an old stone wall? Please tell me...some new ideas to go diggin

Thanks so very much

mel
1) Old Schools
2) City/Town Parks
3) Circus/Fair Sites
4) Old Churches
5) Old Homestead Sites: You might want to read my article - a detailed and illustrated guide to searching abandoned homestead sites, How To Search Around Cellar Holes Successfully.
6) Swimming Holes and Areas
7) Picnic Groves: You might want to read my story about A Picnic Grove Discovery.
8) Athletic Fields
9) Scout Camps
10) Rodeo Arenas
11) Campgrounds
12) Ghost Towns
13) Beaches
14) Taverns: You definitely need to read my story on Detecting at Swedish Tavern Site, ca. 17th Century
15) Roadside Rest Stops
16) Sidewalk Grassy Strips
17) Amusement Parks
18) Rural Mailboxes
19) Reunion Areas
20) Revival sites
21) Fort Sites
22) Winter Sledding Areas
23) Lookout/Overlook Sites
24) Church Supper Groves
25) Fishing Spots
26) Fishing Camps
27) Resorts
28) Old Barns and Outbuildings
29) Battle Sites: Check out my story on Hunting for WW2 Relics in Europe.
30) Band Shells
31) Racetracks
32) Rural Boundary Walls
33) Roadside Fruit and Vegetable Stands
34) Under Seaside Boardwalks
35) Flea Market Areas
36) Ski Slopes
37) Drive Ins
38) Canal Paths
39) Vacant Lots
40) Motels
41) College Campuses
42) Farmer Market Areas: Check out my story on Metal Detecting at the Medieval Market Site.
43) Town Squares
44) Urban Yards and Backyards
45) Disaster Sites
46) Areas Around Skating Ponds
47) Hunting Lodges and Camps
48) Mining Camps
49) Railroad Grades, Stations and Junctions
50) Hiking Trails
51) Waterfalls
52) Rural Dance Sites
53) Lover's Lanes
54) Areas Adjacent to Historical Markers
55) Old Gas Stations and General Stores
56) Fence Posts
57) Chicken Houses
58) Bridges and Fords
59) Flower Beds: You might want to read my story on Coin Cache Discovery in Upstate New York.
60) Playgrounds
61) Old Garbage Dumps
62) Cloth Lines
63) Military Camp and Cantonment Sites
64) Wells and Outhouses
65) Abandoned Houses and Structures
66) Areas where Old Trails Cross County or State Boundaries
67) Piles of Scraped Soil at Construction Sites
68) Old Stone Quarries
69) Areas Around Old Abandoned Cemeteries in the Forest
70) Junctions of Abandoned Roads (crossroads)

THIS SHOULD KEEP YOU BUSY FOR AWHILE.........

JohnC

Pennystock..... thats good post! Check out large tree that very close to bridge! My friend call his tree is silver tree because he found so many silver coins on that tree! I believe that many people sit, relax, shade and fishing on that tree by the bridge! Also small trees by playground is also good spot! One time I was at playground to look for coins and I noticed that kids play and climb that small tree so I check out and got some coins! Do NOT forget your front and backyard! My first silver coin dime from my front yard!

Ric-san

I wasn't looking for this and hope to never hear or see it again...back in the 1990's I was deployed to Yuma AZ for the semi annual training the Marine Corps does for desert warfare (yep this all started after the Iran Desert One fiasco of the late 1970's) called WTI. Its basically for aircrew, but they bring airplanes/helos from all over the Corps. Some units send pilots/crewchief's, some send mechanics, some send aircraft...you all get the bigger picture here....anyway, my unit sent a few helos and a few of us mechs.... while performing a acceptance inspection on a CH-46E helo, and mech found a nickel jammed under a horizontal walking beam of a flight control. Jefferson's face was worn completely off. This was EXTREMELY dangerous as it could have jammed the flight controls and caused the helo to crash killing the crew of four and possibly others....I wish I had a picture, but this was before the smart phone days we live in now...

richbat

I hunt in all types of areas but mainly parks and school yards.What i do is take a good hard look at the area i'm about to hunt and say to myself "Where would i be in this park" Trees are a real good place to start as are around pavilions,walkways,the edges of parking lots and of course your tot lots.Now when i hunt fields i start at the out most edge and walk back and fourth to my desired spot to stop.I did this exact thing at a school yard with a Bounty Hunter Landstar i had and ended up finding an 1820 large cent right next to the parking lot.My boy did the same thing only starting at the field edge and found a .925 silver ring with the same machine.Another thing about fields,many places have many things going on like car shows and such at 1 school after purchasing a Silver Umax me and the boy hit a school under the trees and ended up finding a knife shaped like and old car and plenty of pocket spills.So things can turn up just about anywhere you look but maybe if you just stop and look at the area and say"where would i be " then your luck might increase 10 fold.

mel9861

Just want to say a BIG THANX to all the replies.
I have been working some "slopes" ( here in pgh LOTS of hills )
Seems like when they sit on a hillside the change seems to just fall out of a pocket..????
or sled-riding in the winter?
Great Tales or tails or heads ??? I get easily confused
mel

Orosurf

I was detecting in the Black sea earlier this year , snorkeling, I came across the remains of an old pier or dock , actually all that remained were the supporting posts which stuck out of the sand about 18 inches. There were about 30 of these posts, around each post were literally hundreds of coins. So many coins that I abandoned the detector and just picked them up ! I fanned the sand away by hand and found several pieces of silver jewelery and even a couple of piecees of gold. Found over 2000 coins that day. Every post was the same, coins, coins , coins.
I am sure the same happens with the gold too. I have a few videos I took that day .
Shhhh , its a secret !;)

I used to know a couple who would go into the nice hotels and check down the sides of the sofas in the lobby, they often found quite a bit of change ! Another place is inside old couches and chairs, if you see one in a dumpster it is worth opening up the cloth that covers the underside of the couch , often there is quite a bit of change in there and occasionally a piece of jewellery . I told my ex wife about this and she tried it, first couch she tried had a $ 20 bill inside ! I guess a lot of folks know this as you rarely see one that hasn't been opened up these days :(

Doc dog

I wasn't looking for this and hope to never hear or see it again...back in the 1990's I was deployed to Yuma AZ for the semi annual training the Marine Corps does for desert warfare (yep this all started after the Iran Desert One fiasco of the late 1970's) called WTI. Its basically for aircrew, but they bring airplanes/helos from all over the Corps. Some units send pilots/crewchief's, some send mechanics, some send aircraft...you all get the bigger picture here....anyway, my unit sent a few helos and a few of us mechs.... while performing a acceptance inspection on a CH-46E helo, and mech found a nickel jammed under a horizontal walking beam of a flight control. Jefferson's face was worn completely off. This was EXTREMELY dangerous as it could have jammed the flight controls and caused the helo to crash killing the crew of four and possibly others....I wish I had a picture, but this was before the smart phone days we live in now...
Great story makes ya think and thanks for your service