White's Dual Field PI

Mikey

TQ's Underwater Pirate
Aloha fellow Pirates... you know i have and use this machine. Awesome for depth... 12-18 inches on a target is a can do after you learn the machine. But now i gotta say a few " bummers" on it . The box seems to not to like scuba diving. The pressure of even 8-10 feet begins to allow moisture creep. I take care of the O-ring.. clean and maintain. The current O-ring is new btw. Also... The stock head phones suck for diving. They don't stay on very well at all... and it's just too quiet ... hard to hear that is when diving. My bud Killa has the same opinion. So heres one for you White's.. Change those head phones! My Fisher's head phones are much much better. Will i still use my Dually?.. of course. Use it diving ? Perhaps NOT. Just my 2 cents for yah all gang. HH Mikey:bthumb:

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
I was thinking it could/should go deeper..they say it can...as for the "O" ring leak..that is something also..I heard that if you put some Vasaline on it it helps..I have not had any leaks with my Whites PI..but I don't take it into the deep as you do..as for the head phones...always wondered how those would work way down deep..I guess we now know..might have to write a letter to Whites and ask them about all of that..would be interesting to hear what they have to say..still a good machine..just not deep..Thanks for the info Mikey.......Chuck..:smile:

Mikey

TQ's Underwater Pirate
I was thinking it could/should go deeper..they say it can...as for the "O" ring leak..that is something also..I heard that if you put some Vasaline on it it helps..I have not had any leaks with my Whites PI..but I don't take it into the deep as you do..as for the head phones...always wondered how those would work way down deep..I guess we now know..might have to write a letter to Whites and ask them about all of that..would be interesting to hear what they have to say..still a good machine..just not deep..Thanks for the info Mikey.......Chuck..:smile:
Aloha Chuck... yah i use the vasaline each time.. cleaning carefully each time too. as for the depth.. i can get a beer or soda can @ 2-3 feet.. but rings seem to be maxed at about the 18 inch level.. and then thats difficult too with any extra chatter. Average deep signals at 10-14 inches. HH Mikey :bthumb:

bdahunter

TQ's Master Pirate
NO VASELINE!!! I can't stress this enough, use the silicone grease that you can buy at any dive shop, Vaseline will eat the O Ring and cause your unit to leak - then it's bye bye detector and hello new boat anchor.
O-rings and petroleum jelly do not mix.
Underwater headphones are the weak point on most underwater detectors, good ones cost a lot more than cheaper headphones so the manufacturers tend to cut back on this feature; unfortunately this undermines the performance of the unit. I would guess that 90% of people buying underwater detectors wade when they use them, in the air these headphones work adequately but underwater the sound leaves a lot to be desired and this is the only feedback you have so it is critical. Unfortunately, retrofitting is a bit difficult for most people, fairly expensive to install an arc lite connection to a set of underwater Gray Ghosts and it voids the warranty as well. Sucks all around but when you consider how much you find with an underwater detector you have to say what the heck and upgrade.
Some day we will see an underwater detector that has great headphones and a decent straight rod as standard equipment - maybe the Chinese will supply it but I hope it is an American outfit that does it.

Cheers,

:pcool: