Why I waited...

teamroper

I actually was quite intrigued with the XP last fall when one of our other MDing friends pulled up a Cavalry button at 9" after about six of us pounded this same area for over 4 months. That impressed me. So why did I wait? That wonderful thing called a "learning curve".

The older I get the slower my brain responds and the sound of the words "learning curve" just bother the crap out of me. You've got to remember that I've been basically using point-and-go machines for the last couple years. Why step out in "the gloom" and really get to understand how they operate and the purpose behind each function? Because that's how you find some of the really good stuff.

Let's not forget that I never touched one of my settings (other than the volume) on my XLT till I had it two years. :rolleyes: So is the XP that different? Probably not, but to me it's like the first time I had a computer. I know that I'm gonna mess it up. Luckily the XP has a LOT of defaults. lol.

Now I will say that the price tag was definitely another reason I held off. If it hadn't been for a couple of loco cows I still might not have one. I am also very fortunate to have a wife that doesn't have a problem with me spending a hefty price on something if I can justify it. Years ago I paid a hefty price for my rope horse, but it was the last one that I bought and it was exactly what I wanted. No problem. Metal detectors are a little different. I kinda had to "earn" my way up to a top-of-the-line machine. Luckily, with finding the very nice Tennessee River pearl bracelet and the 1930's wedding band I didn't have too much of a problem talking her into it. Having someone that has owned and XP Deus for a couple of years and was willing to walk me through it was definitely a big factor in me purchasing one.

At the present time I'm trying to combine the best of two worlds. I have three different programs on there for different iron settings. High, med and low. This is really working well for me since I can go on what's in the ground, as far as the amount of iron in it and them make some general adjustments such as the reactivity and the sensitivity without feeling overwhelmed. Of course all you veterans out there know all about the different frequencies and all, but I'm not anywhere near that yet.

And for coinshooting, that is a whole other ballgame. I have a lot to learn about that, but since my present hunts are mostly based on CW stuff it's giving me a chance to take the coinshooting slow. I will say that the factory preset coin programs seem to be really good, especially after pulling up the gold-plated ring last Sunday and a really nice 1920 wheatie at around 7 inches. Again, this all comes back to the fast recovery and the seperation, with the latter being its forte in my opinion.

All in all, I'm still very impressed with the unit and I'm looking forward to seeing all that the new owners find in the future. Would I do it all over again? Definitely! Do I think it is going to be a challenge? Sure, but I think the benefits will outweigh the drawbacks. Anyway, I am really excited to see how all you new XP owners do in the field. I would love to read the feedback from the rest of you as you put more hours on your machine. See ya in the field. (y)

KRose

Great Post Roper. From the looks of some of your finds, I believe you are slowly beginning to straighten out the learning curve. You are doing well with the Deus', "Grasshopper". You will be hopping all over those CW Relics. Continued Success to you and all the new Deus owners.

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
Just called and talked to my detector shop about one. My buddy was away on a job, but I tlaked to his wife and suggested a few things we can do to make it happen...I also just told my wife about it...not sure how she took it...we will talk some more later..I think I can trade my Vision, XLT, and my Coinmaster GT in a deal to make this happen...might be able to swing it....will keep you posted....and when this does happen...I will need some coaching and help from the Tennesee folks...........Chuck.. :)

HungryGhost

The learning curve is a big factor. I've been swinging the E-Trac for more than 2 years and I feel like I'm just now getting to really connect with it. Everything I've read about the XP looks like it is an easy machine to use right out of the box, and can get as in depth as you want to. I like that a lot. That being said with the time I have in with the E I'm going to stick with it for one more season at least. Unless it breaks down. I'm not covered by the warranty anymore so instead of putting money into it I would buy the XP instead. Keep us posted on the unit and happy hunting.

against the wind

Thanks for the post Roper and I appreciate your honesty and humor. Nothing wrong with bribing the Mrs. A happy wife is a happy life. (or so I've heard:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)
I'm with Hungry Ghost on this but I went ahead and bought the Deus anyway. I love the E-Trac's ability to find silver and although I have logged a whole bunch of hours with it, I don't have close to the understanding of different programs that Frank has. I love swinging it and will continue to do so. It has a few drawbacks, the biggest one being,, rain. The Deus offers a much lighter weight and I'm really excited about it's separation capabilities. I know that the E-Trac can find Silver among the Iron Targets. The question I ask is, "How much better is the Deus's capabilities?" Can't wait until the Spring gets here.
You know I keep a log and it will be interesting to see how long it takes for the Deus to pay for itself.:cool:
Keep these posts coming(y)