XP Deus Owner Operation Sharing

NJ Bill

The XP Deus has so many capabilities because of the many specific operational settings available to the owner. The combinations are endless which makes it such a great detector. I believe this machine has the ability to do anything anywhere with the right combination. I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where we can all share each other's operational discoveries.

I'll start it off with ATW's chronic problem with steel bottle caps. I'm not sure it will work but it's an idea I've been messing with for other things.

Instead of trying to notch it out which adds a filter and eliminates other things in that notch, try setting a specific tone for steel bottle caps. In the expert menu you can set the Deus to use multiple tones. You can also set the sound of the tone by adjusting the HZ of the tone.

Let's say you stop tone 3 just before the bottle cap tone in HZ and start tone 5 just after, both sides just enough to make tone 4 its own discernible tone, then in theory tone 4 would be a different tone for just steel bottle caps.

Again it is just a theory and haven't tried to get that specific with a tone. Looking forward to hearing other Deus owners weigh in on this.

There are so many possible combinations with the Deus to improve various specific hunting situations. Please share any other specific operational discoveries you've made.

mtbricky

I don't own a deus but I am seriously considering one. I look forward to comments to help me decide between the deus, the 3030 and maybe the etrac. I can maybe afford a 3030 but I love the lightweight and wireless features of the deus. It sounds like it is the machine that many prefer to take out even though they own others. If I'm going to go out with a new machine I'd like to make sure I marry the right one. :)

against the wind

I'm okay with identifying steel bottle caps. I've gotten pretty good at identifying them although I do have days when I will dig my share of them. I have had numerous conversations with "diggin brains" and others about steel bottle caps. They have a signature 'Pop" at the end of their signal. A dime, which will register as a 91 in the 18kHz frequency is the same number as a bottle cap but without the "Pop."
I grew up on "Beep and Dig" machines. If you listen, you can tell the difference between the cap and the dime. Another thing is, if the "91" target is deep,, say 4 inches or deeper, then it is probably a dime. At 4 inches, most steel bottle caps have rusted away.
If you install a filter to block steel bottle caps, you lose depth. You don't want to do that. Some of the parks I hunt have silver at 8 inches and deeper. A filter won't allow detection of those coins.

Last edited:

NJ Bill

What size coil are you using? Also which headphones - and are they wireless? The packages are a little confusing.
If you want to save some money (like I did) get the package without the wireless headphones. I use the back phones that came with it or use any headphone you like. I run the wire inside my shirt and out of the sleeve. Then I put the control box in an Iphone arm band and plug the phones in. So you are still completely detached from the shaft and coil and it also allows you to easily read and manipulate the control box. The arm band has a soft plastic cover so it's easy to push the buttons without taking it out. It costs $6.00 or $8.00 on eBay. Doing it this way saves about $300.00.
I got the 11" coil. It's a good multi purpose coil.
Any other questions feel free to ask.
Good Luck!

NJ Bill

I'm okay with identifying steel bottle caps. I've gotten pretty good at identifying them although I do have days when I will dig my share of them. I have had numerous conversations with "diggin brains" and others about steel bottle caps. They have a signature 'Pop" at the end of their signal. A dime, which will register as a 91 in the 18kHz frequency is the same number as a bottle cap but without the "Pop."
I grew up on "Beep and Dig" machines. If you listen, you can tell the difference between the cap and the dime. Another thing is, if the "91" target is deep,, say 4 inches or deeper, then it is probably a dime. At 4 inches, most steel bottle caps have rusted away.
If you install a filter to block steel bottle caps, you lose depth. You don't want to do that. Some of the parks I hunt have silver at 8 inches and deeper. A filter won't allow detection of those coins.
Great discovery ATW.
Thanks.

mtbricky

If you want to save some money (like I did) get the package without the wireless headphones. I use the back phones that came with it or use any headphone you like. I run the wire inside my shirt and out of the sleeve. Then I put the control box in an Iphone arm band and plug the phones in. So you are still completely detached from the shaft and coil and it also allows you to easily read and manipulate the control box. The arm band has a soft plastic cover so it's easy to push the buttons without taking it out. It costs $6.00 or $8.00 on eBay. Doing it this way saves about $300.00.
I got the 11" coil. It's a good multi purpose coil.
Any other questions feel free to ask.
Good Luck!
Great idea on the headphones. It would also be one less set of internal batteries to worry about. Thanks!

mtbricky

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a new XP Deus. I couldn't wait any longer and the more I read and researched the more I couldn't wait to get out and start learning it. I went for the 11" coil and the totally wireless with the full size headphones. Hoping to have some good "mentors" on this site as I have some questions, and maybe I can contribute something worthwhile to the conversation eventually. Should have it in a week. I am pretty excited!:):):)

mtbricky

I didn't even see that they had an 8" coil. I probably would have tried the 11" anyway. I can maybe add the 8" coil later on. I wonder how much the coil size affects the setting and TID numbers?

I didn't even see that they had an 8" coil. I probably would have tried the 11" anyway. I can maybe add the 8" coil later on. I wonder how much the coil size affects the setting and TID numbers?
If it affects anything,, it would probably be depth. You may lose an inch of depth because of the smaller size.
On the positive side,, it is even lighter than the non-existing weight. lol

plumbcrazy

I got both coils when I purchased mine, and the WS5 headphones. Since you can choose either coil to be included, I picked the 11" and bought the 9" at the same time. The reason I did it that way is the 9" coil is about $15 less than the 11". Not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but when you're spending that much on a detector, every little bit helps. I started out using the smaller one, but eventually changed to the 11", to cover more ground. I like the small one for trashy areas, and tot lots to get a little closer to the equipment. I really like the wireless aspect of the deus compared to the headphone tether of my previous detectors, as well as the lighter weight. The clock is also a nice feature for me so I don't have to wear my watch in the heat. I think you will like it mtbricky.

mtbricky

Well I can contribute some first impressions. I couldn't wait any longer and the batteries were already charged, so I took off for an old house site nearby. Only lasted a hour due to a thunderstorm. I've been reading a lot on the net about the Deus this week but you can't learn the language until you start listening to it. I tried the Deus Fast program to get my feet wet. I haven't found a silver coin in at least a year. Today I dug a nickel and a penny. I dug a couple horseshoes. I dug some pull tabs. I dug a lot of trash. So I guess I haven't made great sense of things yet.

My first detector was a Whites Classic III with a concentric coil. It only had a "beep" and the single tone was always the same. I got really good though at hearing qualities of that beep that told me when I had a coin - and I found a lot of them. I suspect the same will hold true with the Deus. I'm sure that at some point (soon I hope) I will distinguish between a coin and a horseshoe. I'm slightly infatuated with the TID and the rest of the digital readouts because I have never had these before with my Excals and Sovereign. The sound recognition will have to come first I'm sure.

Anyway...there was a lot of constant chatter. Although not too distracting I am thinking I can maybe lower the sensitivity a bit. I also may need to start playing with the ground balance some. I have never had to think about ground balance with my BBS detectors, and I don't know what the soil condition really is where I am hunting. I am sure I can figure this out and try to adjust it a little. (Scratch that - setting for the program I am running is 90, any lower setting makes thing worse and it only goes to 95) I notice you can also silence the iron a little. There is a lot of trash at this site and big chunks of iron. There are also some more old coins - and I'm going to find them!