Yard sale/dumpster diving/thrift shop finds post here

bootybay

I love hitting yard sales, just started back into it.. its amazing how far you can stretch 20.00 bucks..

so this past weekend, I scored the following,
2 small occupied Japan vases really super small, have ya ever noticed anything thats marked occupied japan, is flat out ugly as the dickens..25cents ea.

one killer nice sterling genuine cameo ring ( older then dirt I swear)10.00

One very very old ID bracelet, looks like silver but has the markings on the back saying radio, I looked it up and appears to be one of many markings by one particular company, so it doesn't stick to magnet. am thinking its sterling and super old as well, got it from a lil ole lady in her 80's. 1.00

at first I thought this was pyrex, its a clear glass container, with lid, with a cow ontop of it...marked made in blah blah france, it looks like it could be one of two things, either a one pound butter dish or just a small container for leftover foods..either way its neat, 1.00
I gotta do some research on it..

I got Maddie a car seat for my car ( the correct kind with the anchor in the back as well as the areas where the seat belt goes thru) 5.00 excellent condition

and of course a nice big barn, that opens up with all the barnyard animals, she loves those fisher price people and toys.. 5.00

also got a brand spanking new kate spade pink cloth purse just the right size for Maddie.. those buggers are expensive and I got this lil one for 1.00 for maddie.

1.00 hot pink cowgirl boots for maddie..LOL I love those boots..

I didnt count the things for maddie as the others are being gathered up for either the show I plan on doing in sept. Yes, I am making jewelry for the show.. first show in 10 yrs.. lil nerveous but I will do fine..I always get nerveous for shows, then once I get there, its a breeze and I am so totally in my element, since getting my sight back, I will be in my glory doing this show..

so thats my goodies , sorry on no pictures but for all you computer wizards out there, this laptop has vista crap on it, it wont take my camera pictures at all..my old trusty pc in the workroom is the only thing that will take my camera..so I didnt take pictures cause right at this time its a pain to do it that way, running back n forth from computer to computer..

so what have you found lately that wasnt a detecting find?

EBCIII

Rae you SCORED!!! I have not been to a yard sale in ages. We are going to try to have one this Saturday. I have always thought they are more work than you get back?

I would like to get a piece of Jewelry from ya. I want one for Kandi. Beale.

cyndy j

dude!! great finds!! uh, tho re radio bracelet,,,if no 925 or similar, prolly not..and i think radio was a company that made costume....don't yell, i am going on marginal-as u know-memory...kudos on kate spade..yes uber spensive...sounds like butter dish--shape? anyway cool way to spend day and not lots o dough...my best was probly the collection of 12 little birthstone little girl porcelains..remember..they were painted according to colour of birthstone each month...about 6 in tall, very 50's..that and a big stack of linens for about 5 bucks that had barkcloth tables, damask huge table with 12 matching napkins, amazing laces and doillies..very old and pristine...and yeah occ japan is usually not attractive-wonder why-re jewelery, where show? and how do you feel re little oval citirines, topazes-blue-peridots?

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
Rae.you did great..some good scores for sure...yard sales are always a good time...Chuck....:wave:

bootybay

Cyndy, right now I am doing all wirewrappings, I might do up some herkimer diamonds as pendants...if I can remember how to do it lol...most of my gemstones have drilled holes in them too.. if they are super tiny, I might not be able to feel them in my hands, finger tips go numb like every other day. I figure since its been so long since I have done a show, I would ease myself into it... lots of earrings handmade of course..bracelets and maybe a few necklaces and anklets too.. I am just working with all that I have at the moment, thank god I bought alot of sterling before it skyrocked..

bootybay

Forgot 3 things I got for free at the yard sales.
I got 3 books free
a New Jersey Anthology
a glossary of the construction, decoration and use of arms and armor in all countries and in all times. love that book, never know I might get to England.
last book is heraldry cool book with family crests and their meanings.

cyndy j

Forgot 3 things I got for free at the yard sales.
I got 3 books free
a New Jersey Anthology
a glossary of the construction, decoration and use of arms and armor in all countries and in all times. love that book, never know I might get to England.
last book is heraldry cool book with family crests and their meanings.
love that stuff too..have book from scotland on tartans, maybe i'll send lil guys to ya and you can use imagination

kennyui

Awesome finds Rae....
I like the books you got and see if you find anything with my last name..Fights..

I did find my favorite coffee cup at a yard sale...it was a Kettle Restaurant cup for a quarter...

bootybay

hey Kenny,
I have a collection of round the world coffee cups, coffee mugs and one coffee pot.. looking to find the sugar bowl and creamer and another coffee pot..they had a few different ones.

Drenthe

I began dumpster diving at the age of 12 and I would still be doing it today if i didnt think that i might get trapped in the dumpster. Prolly too old to climb out! My best find at an auction was 6 boxes of railroad photo negatives. I drove from Nebraska to Chicago to attend an auction and attempt to buy some old steam engine memorabilia. The stuff went so high that I was not able to purchase anything. I was in a mad dash to find something to justify my trip when I came across about 20 shoe boxes full of old railroad photos from the teens to the forties. I called my wife and had her check ebay to see what they were worth and they averaged about $3.00 each. Well, to make a long story short, I bought 6 shoe boxes crammed full for $200.00 a box. On the way home I am thinking that I am going to have to work awfully hard to make a profit. (I should have bought all 20 boxes :doh:)
I listed the first one on fee-bay and it went for $275.00! Well that got me excited! :multi:Listed five others and received about $600.00. Same guy buying all of them. I contacted him and asked him what made these photos so special. He said that they were action shots rather than static which was really rare. It took me two years to sell 2/3 of the negatives and I have made over $140,000.00! Most were purchased by one buyer. I still have approx. 4,000 left.
Then I had to use all of that money and more to bail myself out of a bad business deal, which is another story.

Drenthe

I began dumpster diving at the age of 12 and I would still be doing it today if i didnt think that i might get trapped in the dumpster. Prolly too old to climb out! My best find at an auction was 6 boxes of railroad photo negatives. I drove from Nebraska to Chicago to attend an auction and attempt to buy some old steam engine memorabilia. The stuff went so high that I was not able to purchase anything. I was in a mad dash to find something to justify my trip when I came across about 20 shoe boxes full of old railroad photos from the teens to the forties. I called my wife and had her check ebay to see what they were worth and they averaged about $3.00 each. Well, to make a long story short, I bought 6 shoe boxes crammed full for $200.00 a box. On the way home I am thinking that I am going to have to work awfully hard to make a profit. (I should have bought all 20 boxes :doh:)
I listed the first one on fee-bay and it went for $275.00! Well that got me excited! :multi:Listed five others and received about $600.00. Same guy buying all of them. I contacted him and asked him what made these photos so special. He said that they were action shots rather than static which was really rare. It took me two years to sell 2/3 of the negatives and I have made over $140,000.00! Most were purchased by one buyer. I still have approx. 4,000 left.
Then I had to use all of that money and more to bail myself out of a bad business deal, which is another story.
OOOPS! I didnt mean to hijack your thread. Thought that I had started a new post.:banghead: