Ace 150 Review

Figured I would put in my two cents (yep, pun intended!:icon_wink) about the Ace 150 for those considering an entry level machine. I would consider it a decent machine for a youngster, or some one just checking the hobby out. Although for $50 more you can step up to the 250, which is well worth the extra from what I've heard. But the 150 is built decent, easy to use, inexpensive, and most importantly, gets ya out huntin'. You can read the online brochures about the features, I'll tell ya what I found. It goes fairly deep. At an old school yard I found a button about the size of a pencil erasure about 7" down! That was my smallest deep find for this unit and not the norm. It does fairly well at 2"-4" with coins, and deeper with cans and larger metals. Honestly, the ID sucks. All of the rings, earrings and coins that I've found, with the exception of nickels, were labeled as silver by the 150. So far all of my "gold" hits have been iron, but I'm not ignoring a gold hit!! Here's how I've adjusted to it: I found the best setting was with the sens. at 3 bars, and to knock out the iron by putting it in jewelry mode. Basically that's everything but iron. I dug all of the tones for three days..... after tending to the huge blister on my digging palm, I started digging only the high tones, (silver, gold, nickel) and found that I got mostly coins, rings, foil, and pop tops. I would still get an occasional nail and bobby pin, but I didn't feel that I was missing anything either. I use the X method for pinpointing, and although I'm new, I feel the accuracy on this unit also sucks....the pinpointing option, a much needed feature that I believe the 250 has........is well worth the extra imo! In the sand it's not so much an issue, but at one of the private school yards I'm hunting I want as small a hole needed in order to remain in good standing with the owners! Overall I think this is a decent entry level machine, and for someone on a budget it will get you in the dirt. Personally, I'm going to give it to one of my kids and move into a Whites or a Tesoro.......... good huntin' folks! :wave:

The TINMAN

Very nice Review and I'm sure it is appreciated for as Beale said, Ya don't see much on it.
Many Great Finds to Tou when Ya get your new detector !!!

Skippy

I did'nt like the coil it came with so I got the 4.5 sniper,on high sens it sweeps very well when I locate a target I lower the sens and it works just like a pin pointer,much better MD now.:wink:

I did'nt like the coil it came with so I got the 4.5 sniper,on high sens it sweeps very well when I locate a target I lower the sens and it works just like a pin pointer,much better MD now.:wink:
The sniper coil transforms the Ace, 250 OR 150 into a new machine! It's the only coil I use.:bthumb:

I need to get one of those for my Ace. My wife will love to hear that.:cussing:
I will just have to blame you! Thanks for the info.