ace 350 depth?

damar2003

I have been swinging the 350 for 3 months and I have found almost 700 coins along with 4 silver and an 1887 V nickel. I decided to do a test garden tonight because I was concerned about depth since everything I dig seems to be 4 inches or less. I had a dime and quarter at 8 inches and a dime at 6 inches. I never got a signal that I would even consider digging, maybe on beep every 5 passes, but mostly nothing. Not real happy about that :mad:. I had fresh batteries and the sensitivity all the way up. I would like some input from some other 350 users.

Most detectors won't pick up a freshly buried coin that deep. Coins that have actually been in the ground for years, with the soil well packed above them seem to ring up better at those depths. I have a coin garden that is about a year old, and my 350 won't find a quarter at 8". However, I did find a standing liberty quarter (1929) that was just over 11" down. I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I'm sure others will chime in with more info.
HH
Darren

draaiorgel

I have been swinging the 350 for 3 months and I have found almost 700 coins along with 4 silver and an 1887 V nickel. I decided to do a test garden tonight because I was concerned about depth since everything I dig seems to be 4 inches or less. I had a dime and quarter at 8 inches and a dime at 6 inches. I never got a signal that I would even consider digging, maybe on beep every 5 passes, but mostly nothing. Not real happy about that :mad:. I had fresh batteries and the sensitivity all the way up. I would like some input from some other 350 users.
Hi Dave, :wave::wave:
Now that's what I'd call an iffy signal.
When we used the 250 Aces with the 9 x 12 coil,
on iffy signals we used to wiggle the coil rapidly from side to side about 4 inches either side of the target. :bthumb::bthumb::bthumb::bthumb:
Give it a try and see. :icon_cool:icon_cool
Another trick on iffy's is to remove 2-3 inches of the surface to get a better signal.
I agree a freshly buried coin at that depth might not show up as it hasn't had time to develop a halo.

Was the ground super dry when you did this test?

I thought so, if the ground had been moist you would have picked up on the newly buried coins better. Its kinda like the opposite of a metal detector going nuts on "wet sand". I hope this helps.

DBG

I can't say this for sure but just maybe you haven't went over any targets that were that deep. The ring I posted about that was lost 45 yrs. ago was only about 2" deep. I figured it would be a lot deeper. The only reason it was that deep was because it was in a wooded area and the annual foliage falling over it covered it a little more each year. It was actually on top of the soil but under the leaves and stuff. Keep hunting you'll get those deeper signals sooner or later. Try a battlefield type location in a plowed every year "crop" field those finds should be deeper.

HH Rick