Safari

Just got me one of these!!!!!! I haven't really gotten to get out with it seriously yet due to the weather :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Was wondering if anyone else out there has one of these????????
I did get out a little bit today in the yard amongst snow flurries! lol
Since this MD is soooooooooo different from my last one, I am still in the process of figuring out the signals and the pinpointing. I was out for about 15 minutes before I was frozen, found one lone penny! lol Still, I am a little frustrated, this is a much bigger coil and the actual pinpointing is different. Instead of the cone shaped single frequency signal I am getting a signal for the entire coil. It's a double D coil. If anyone has any suggestions or advice for better pinpointing with this machine or any minelab machines it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Dugday

Congratz on your new machine. Sorry I only have a pair of whites, but I'm sure someone here swings a unit like yours. :wave: :wavey: :wave:

rip

Hi Sue Ellen.On my x-70 with a DD coil to pinpoint the signal will be strongest at the forward tip of the coil.The 6 inch coil actualy has an X at the tip and thats the spot ! I've found that the small coil gets awesome depth and is easy to use and pinpoint with.I use that one alot.I've got a 5x10 DD and found that one to be abit more tricky and I seldom even use it.I think the bigger the coil the harder it is to pinpoint.Mabey ya might want to look into a small coil ? Also have you looked into an inline pinpointer ? Sunray may have one for the Safari.I plan on getting one once I upgrade to the SE. :biggrin: Hope this help's ya some !

EBCIII

I wish i could help you Sue Ellen. Have you tried U-tube? They may have a couple ov vids with this style detector and coil, Beale.

Ok I feel a little better, it's freezing but I was determined! lol Took the boys out to that park where we have already found so much. My son Jeffrey found a 1952 wheat penny!!!!!!! And I found a quarter, a dime and 10 pennies in about 45 minutes.... I just had to go slower.
Thanks Rip!!!!!! I have an 11 inch coil, and your right, it is a little more difficult, but I think with some practice I will get it down pat!!!!!!!! I will have to check into getting a smaller coil, your right that would be much easier to use!!!!!!!!!!!
That a great idea Beale! I will have to check that out!!!!!!!!!!!!

DougsGraphics

Hang in there, Sue Ellen! I know winter's a coming, but you'll work it out. I've got a minelab DVD that came with my Ex II if you think it would help, just let me know and I'll drop it in the mail!

pennystock

ditto what rip said, the bigger the coil, the more territory you can cover but the harder to pinpoint... if gunny is going to buy a brandy spanking new detector with a big coil, he will surely buy you a itty bitty coil for trashy areas and better pinpointing. my 4 inch coil for the f-2 has an x on it and my 4.5 inch coil for the ace-250 has one too. may want to ask santa for a stocking stuffer............................

DougsGraphics

Yep, I've actually got two copies of the DVD Training Presentation for the Explorer II which has many of the same features and pinpoints the same way. Again, let me know if you'ld like one dropped in the mail.

Yep, I've actually got two copies of the DVD Training Presentation for the Explorer II which has many of the same features and pinpoints the same way. Again, let me know if you'ld like one dropped in the mail.
Doug that is so nice of you!!!!!!! I just might take ya up on that!!!!!!!! Thank You big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got me one of these!!!!!! I haven't really gotten to get out with it seriously yet due to the weather :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Since this MD is soooooooooo different from my last one, I am still in the process of figuring out the signals and the pinpointing. I was out for about 15 minutes before I was frozen, found one lone penny! lol Still, I am a little frustrated, this is a much bigger coil and the actual pinpointing is different. Instead of the cone shaped single frequency signal I am getting a signal for the entire coil. It's a double D coil. If anyone has any suggestions or advice for better pinpointing with this machine or any minelab machines it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Hi Gunny`s Wife. Please try the MLOtv site to view Vids on how to use your Safari.please click on the MLO link (if this is OK with Greg) ? I should have asked really. Sorry Greg.
Minelabowners TV - Share Your Videos
Good hunting from Jeb(uk)

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
Sue Ellen, sounds like you are getting the hang of your new machine..Just takes some practice and you will get it...Keep going, you are doing find..just layer up in the cold and drink plenty of coffee...Hope you find some cool stuff...Buster.......:bthumb: :bthumb: :bthumb: :bthumb:

The TINMAN

Problem solved... Just give it to me, I'll use It down here In the WARM Weather :tongue: and If Ya Promise to keep me supplied with The Special Creamer I may give It back :icon_wink... Oh Yeah, Ya Must promise NEVER to Say.. Pick Me, Pick Me at Any TQ Hunts Ever Again :lol: ! Congrats on the New Safari Sue Ellen :bow:

Sue Ellen; according to the Minelab video, its a turn on and go md... your opinion on that...?
Yup it sure is, though it is recommended to use the noise reduction. That takes about 20 seconds and then you are all set to hunt!!!!!! I am really liking it so far!!!!!!!! Still learning though!

DougsGraphics

I hope the weather has been good enough for you to get out and find a few things. I know you're gonna really love that machine after you get used to it.

MQ71

safari settings

Hey there,
I just picked up a safari. Have you learned any settings that are especially helpful? What mode are you generally using?
Cheers,
MQ71

this should help!

After you get the repeatable signal move your coil to the side of the target.
Then press pinpoint and slowly move towards the target. Move your coil up and down -slowly side to side and watch the bars line up. You will be right over the target. The sweet spot should be right at the center of the shaft.

After you pinpoint, turn the pinpoint off!

I agree its different but I think you will love the machine.

pinpont

I have a lot of trouble with my pipoint staying pegged out even if I start it up in the air and dont even wave it around onthe ground. Any ideas on how to keep this from happening? whether im ober the target or not its showing i am.

wjm4161