not dug....but a find nonetheless..maybe

Wyatt Earp

I was just looking at this 1963 proof set that I didn't really care that much for....and the date on the quarter is clearly doubled. I don't know how rare that would be in a proof coin..but aren't they supposed to do better than that?

Wyatt

Hi Wyatt

Can you post a pic of the date ?

Its not as uncommon as some believe for strike or mechanical doubling to occur on proof coins,, but true die doubling is somewhat more rare and can add a bit to the price of a coin .

Rick

B

boobieinPa

Metalman said:
Hi Wyatt

Can you post a pic of the date ?

Its not as uncommon as some believe for strike or mechanical doubling to occur on proof coins,, but true die doubling is somewhat more rare and can add a bit to the price of a coin .

Rick
What is the difference between the two doubling stampings?

Wyatt Earp

I don't have the capability of taking pictures that close up....but a quick look on eBay reveals folks selling 63 proof sets with doubled die obverse washington quarters in them....and there was one listing for an UNC slabbed MS-65 1963 washington quarter with double die obverse....so it's indeed a recognized variety. Funny...I've had this set for 7 years and never looked that closely at the coins.

Looking at this one....the doubling is most evident on the date, but the rest of the lettering, on both "Liberty" and "In God We Trust" is slightly doubled as well....but harder to see.

Wyatt

Wyatt Earp

Thanks for the link Rick,

I'd say that this is mechanical in natue,probably flat field doubling since some of the doubling occurs on the left (primarily) of the lettering...but not exclusively as in the case of hub doubling. This is probably the most common form found on proofs since they are struck twice to achieve a superior strike.

I appreciate the tip. Alway like learning new stuff.

Hi Wyatt

I have posted a couple of threads in the coin collecting forum, with pics of both types also,

Im like you I like to learn new things, Im a begginner in the error coins myself, about 8 months, but they facinate me .

Rick