Radio Shack Discovery 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the Radio Shack Discovery 2000. I learned that it was made by Bounty Hunter and has the same features as the The Bounty Hunter Lone Star. It seems that it might be better than my Whites 2000 Series 3 Coinmaster. What do you guys think?

Discovery 2000

Yes, this is definitely an upgrade to your last detector. Learn to use all of it's functions and read and reread the operator's manual several times. In fact, carry it with you into the field. That way if you find any problems, you can do a quickcheck out in the field. This will help you to develop your detector skills. For many times it is not the detector but the operator's skills which determine the outcomes. Lastly, relax and have fun . HOPE THIS HELPS.......

TonyinCT

Treasure Quest Sponsor
In my opinion this isn't an upgrade of too large a scale. You gained ID ability but the technology is similar vintage.

Upgrade????

It is important to be happy with what you have. Target identification is definitely a large improvement over no identification. I started when discrimination was just a dream. The basic detector of the day beeped over anything including bottle caps, tin foil, pulltabs and rust. And even with this ancient technology we had people who could identify a lot of the junk signals and leave them in the ground. Become a master with what you have. Spend at least 3 to 6 months with a detector before you jump to the next level. Choice of detectors is a matter of taste some people prefer a Ford over a Chevy or vice versa. You sound like the cost of the detector is very important to you and you must get the highest quality for the lowest amount of money. That is OK, I've been there. I've known people who would buy the top of the line metal detector for each make and not keep it very long! They were never satisfied with anything and were always looking for the next improvement and go buy it. So it is important to be happy with what you have and at least become its master before you upgrade to your next detector. I've known Master Detectorists who can take a so called inferior detector and find more with it than someone with a top of the line detector who doesn't know how to use it correctly! HOPE THIS HELPS.......

TonyinCT

Treasure Quest Sponsor
Some would disagree that target ID is an improvement on a large scale. Some don't like it at all. But the question is whenther or not the detectors mentioned were an upgrade from one another. I still say that the target ID on the RS is not much of an upgrade as the detectors performance is about the same. An upgrade would be better performance not just a different feature. In the case of the RS , you may find that its operation is actually inferior to the older Whites as far as performance goes.

Upgrade????

To Tony in CT: Oh come on, you just want to dis the RS or Bounty Hunter models so you can make a sale on your detectors! Not sure on what you sell .....Whites, Fisher Garrett, etc. and nothing is wrong with these great detectors. But if a man can only afford the Radio Shack models you shouldn't dis that model. If he is happy with his purchase, leave the man alone! I'm happy in Texas!!!

TonyinCT

Treasure Quest Sponsor
I also sell Bounty Hunter models and the facts are still the same. The RS is thought of as being inferior by some people. I'd rather tell the man the truth and answer his question as to what "you guys think" about that detector. Many times I read online about how great a detector is when it isn't. If you happen to say it isn't then you're branded a person who bashes that detector. I would rather tell it like I see it. And Joe.....nowhere did I mention anything about buying anything from me. If the question was asked about any other model I would have responded in kind ; whether good or bad. Your opinion is that target ID is a 'Large improvement" over detectors that don't have it. I think the Tesoro Tejon guys would disagree with you. I happen to like having it but it is mostly a tool to "help" find targets. When improperly used you may actually not find some good targets. And no where did I read that Tater was unable to afford anything else. It's important to be able to afford your hobbies but I will never delude anyone with the thought that an inferiror performing detector can do more than it actually can.
Tater...if I offended you I apologize. :smile:

Upgrade????

To Tony in CT: Evidently I offended you, but I did not mean to! Everything that you said is your opinion and that is fair but you need to respect other peoples opinions which may be different than your own and not get offended. No offense to Tater Nutz, but he posted elsewhere that he was looking for a good but unexpensive detector since he was a Newbie and wasn't sure if he would stick with this hobby. So I was basicly trying to help him out and stay within his financial goals. Also remember we are dealing with a Newbie in which The Target Identification is a major improvement! And why did you have to drag the Tesoro guys into this debate?? The Tesoros are great detectors! I was specificly talking about a detector for a Newbie. A person who is just starting out and doesn't really knows what he wants , let alone what Questions to ask!! Again this is only my personal opinion and is not the law!! Still Happy in Texas!!!

Upgrade????

To Tony in CT: I know that the RS brand is rated as an inferior brand by many in the detecting community but I think that opinion is changing. Look at all the comments on The Metal Detector Equipment Forum about the model 3300(or3000?) which is also made by Bounty Hunter! Also there are a lot of comments over their other models. Also a Newbie, wouldn't know this info. To them a metal detector is just all the same. Remember I was talking to a Beginner and did not mean to offend any of the Seasoned Veterans out there. And Again this is my personal opinion and is not the Law. Still happy in Texas!!!

TonyinCT

Treasure Quest Sponsor
Hey Joe...you didn't offend me at all. :smile: And I do respect others opinions...at least until those opinions become untruthful. That's not to say anyones opinions in this thread is untruthful. However , when someone says "Oh come on , you just want to dis RS and Bounty Hunter models so you can make a sale on your detectors" ; I think I have the right to defend myself. True ? Because that statement is untrue.
I've been at this hobby for 31 years plus.Seen it all ; did it all . Hope that I can for many more years. :bthumb: Lets agree to disagree on the RS issue and go do some serious detecting. And Tater , feel free to hit me up on my opinion in the future cause opinions are ALWAYS FREE !!! :icon_cool

Status
Not open for further replies.